Discovery Sport Forum banner

Smoke and burning smell in cabin

69K views 143 replies 47 participants last post by  Gembobs 
#1 ·
We have a 65 HSE luxury. In September my wife was driving the car and white smoke started coming into the car. So thick she had to pull over. Pressed the button and got a mechanic out. No fault found. Went to local dealers again nothing found. This week I was driving and the same thing happened I noticed that stop start although on was not working the car filled with white electrical smoke and I had to pull over. Looked under bonnet and cannot see any source. Very worrying and now don't want to drive it. This is our second car so am worried and wonder if any of you have experienced this. I have read posts about adblu and exhaust and don't think it is this. Any help would be appreciated

#78 ·
Chris B, like you I actually love the car, I still get a huge grin after 3 years and just over 40,000 miles. In the conditions we had when the beast from the East struck I took her over Shap Fell and she was brilliant. But unlike you we don't have a dealer I have any confidence in on the Red Rose side of the Pennines, I have a catalogue of being told untruths, denials and refusals to do warranty work that is well documented (oil contamination, rear disks, interim oil changes), and on occasion only getting satisfaction by involving JLR Customer Services. Whilst the car is covered by warranty I can live with all that, but I want a little more ownership life than that, and I won't risk it outside warranty.

#79 ·
Ours went at just before two years old. It was the untruths from the dealer over well known warranty work that put us off. I did read further up this thread way back that one chap put a CO meter in the car and got dangerous readings. Could actually put you to sleep on a motorway! We had to put video cameras in the car to prove the fault. Because of escaping hot gases we had numerous other odd faults. Sat nav radio and parking sensors then final straw was the steering. Had that one on video and told them to take it away and find the fault or don't bring it back we rejected the car but Dealer refused.

#80 ·
Alain v.s. said:
Thanks a lot "spikkyboy", I will refer to your dealer in Cambridge. Hoping it works. Worse fear is being intoxicating mypassengers and myself when occurring. Opening windows is not always an option...
Take a look at this thread too , it shows the turbo to downpipe incorrectly assembled and the air fain then next to it suck in fumes through vents. Pictures too .

https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6515&hilit=Fumes+in+cabin&start=20#p77894

#81 ·
Hillwalker said:
Chris B, like you I actually love the car, I still get a huge grin after 3 years and just over 40,000 miles. In the conditions we had when the beast from the East struck I took her over Shap Fell and she was brilliant. But unlike you we don't have a dealer I have any confidence in on the Red Rose side of the Pennines, I have a catalogue of being told untruths, denials and refusals to do warranty work that is well documented (oil contamination, rear disks, interim oil changes), and on occasion only getting satisfaction by involving JLR Customer Services. Whilst the car is covered by warranty I can live with all that, but I want a little more ownership life than that, and I won't risk it outside warranty.
I have had the dilemma this summer - 'replace or extend warranty'. I, like you, will not run a DS without the factory and dealer support and decided that mounting mileage would accelerate deprecation and increase the chance of "issues" so 19MY is on order for September delivery before 3rd birthday of current car!!

#84 ·
My 2.0 65 reg has just started with this same fault. Returned to dealership and have been told the issue is due to a faulty section by the catalytic converter. Cat and 19 other parts need to be changed to fixed the problem. Unfortunately there is a part on back order so still in a courtesy car from the dealership. Dealership have been great did not seem surprised by the fault.

#86 ·
I'm after a bit of advice if thats ok. I've got a 65 plate, 2.0 litre diesel. It had it's first MOT and the end of the warranty in December. Just before that, I had a DEF warning come up on the dashboard. When they had it in, they ended up having to replace the DPF and the pipes, and they also put a few software updates on it.

Now, we're getting a really strong burning smell both inside and outside of the car whenever it's driven for more than twenty minutes. Coupled with that, I'm getting low battery warnings (which I seem to get after any time it goes into the dealer!) and this morning have also now got "parking aid not available, please contact dealer".

I rang the dealer up, but they said they can only see in on March 11th. When I said that I wasn't sure, with the burning smell, whether the car was even driveable, they asked if I had extended warranty (I don't, only the five year service pack) and they couldn't suggest anything apart from to call a breakdown service through my insurance.

Should I be expecting to pay to get this fixed as the car is now out of warranty? Or should I be expecting the dealer to sort it given they only replaced the part less than two months ago?

#89 ·
Check up on that. I have a feeling that parts replaced under warranty are only covered by the original warranty, as opposed to parts you pay for, which have their own twelve month warranty.

#90 ·
Replacement parts come with a 12 month warranty, even after the vehicle warranty has expired, as does the work carried out by the dealer. The difficulty that you will have proving if the same parts fail within that period is that a) the part was faulty to begin with and b) the dealer carried out the process to TOPIx instruction, as they are hardly going to admit it if they bodged it.

As an example, a friend of mine has just had a rear diff fail twice inside 9 months....the first repair cost her nearly £2k at a main dealers, and she is having to go through the motions again. Her argument is that the replacement part was either faulty as well, or not installed correctly by dealer technicians. Vehicle is now 5 months outside of manufacturer Warranty, yet repair and part should be covered by additional job warranty for another 4 months. Dealer digging heels in, CRC involved, Credit Card company notified. One way or the other she will get the repair done again or be fully reimbursed under Sec. 75

Dealer has not covered themselves in glory over the way that it's been handled from start to finish. (Barnsh will instinctively know who the dealer in question is!) :twisted:

#91 ·
It's certainly a hassle I could do without and I am concerned how expensive this could end up being. It's a real shame, when its working, my wife and I love the car. It was in for numerous issues during the warranty period too (the entertainment unit was replaced twice), I do worry about how much it's going to cost me post warranty if it keeps getting these niggling issues.

#92 ·
Personally I wouldn't consider owning or running one of these vehicles past its factory warranty. It is simply too much of an unknown risk. I note that the Land Rover Extended Warranty has a weasel clause in it that excludes it's obvious Achilles Heel, therefore is frankly not worth the paper that it's written on.

Either trade out of it, or take a 3rd party comprehensive Warranty out if you plan on keeping it, but make SURE that ALL the SCRF and ALL the drivetrain components are covered, otherwise you are wasting your time.

#93 ·

Attachments

#97 ·
s14tra said:
interesting article.glad i dont fall into that range.i presume land rover will be contacting existing owners of affected models :?:
That last VIN is about the 27,600 th 18MY assembled. This UPSN is for models yet to ship from stock:
This bulletin does not apply to any vehicles already registered and in use, either with the retailer, or customer. Any vehicle already in use may continue to be driven and any repair instructions will be communicated through a separate bulletin.
It's to be hoped that they actually follow Mr. Woodcock's instructions this time and contact at-risk owners before somebody is poisoned.

I don't know what the repair instructions are but I would imagine something simple like, "remove clamp, fit (new) seal, re-tighten bolts".

#99 ·
Hoododp said:
Sorry me again!

So after two weeks at Rockar and being told the fault had been fixed I get the car back and drive to North Wales for half term. On the first day the problem come back, exhaust fumes coming in the cabin!!

I phone Land Rover assist and they were there in ten mins (AA) they called their technical team and they advised as per the pic:
[IMG=https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/download/file.php?id=6834][/IMG]

Within ten mins the fault had been found, even with my limited knowledge I could locate the problem with the amount of soot present! The far bolt hadn't been tightened - this either the original problem or a part not put back together after two weeks with Rockar.

Anyway meant to see them today as have asked to have either money back or a new car as this one has gased me and my son at least twice now. And low and behold they now can't make the meeting!

DONT BUY FROM ROCKAR!
Two years after it was first reported, finally new owners and their families are being protected from the risks of fire and poisoning. But what about the other 450,000 owners - how many of those people have read this thread?

#100 ·
The last VIN in the DS sequence (749,345) comes half way through the batch of cars built in 2018. [ 18MY JH721748 - JH778789 (57,042) ]
Presumably N270 doesn't matter in any of the primary markets in that case.

#101 ·
Interesting. I have smelt something on and off and put it down to the DPF being cleaned.

My car is within that VIN range :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.