Discovery Sport Forum banner

Power Steering Failure

181K views 419 replies 112 participants last post by  Therichbutler 
#1 ·
Well it was going so well! 26 months in and no issues then started up Last Tuesday after a short run home from work and ping power assistance reduced warning with some additional associated warnings.
Let me tell you now you need PAS on a 2 ton car!
Drove back to work (around 5 miles) and it kicked back in after a couple of miles - glitch I hoped - nope after restart back again and to dangerous to risk any further driving.
Waited ages for LR assist who eventually sent the AA who did their best to no avail. Car recovered following day to dealers and I eventually got a courtesy car - Jag EPace nice to drive but not really that practical but does have operating PS.
Not heard of this fault before - AA suspect alternator fault - still awaiting update from dealer. Car has only done 17k

#2 ·
Only thing I've ever seen about loss of steering was in a recall , and even then it was listed just as a possibility. Please let us know what they find , hope it's a quick fix for you.

31-1-2017: R/2016/289: Land Rover Discovery Sport, Range Rover Evoque with 2 ltr diesel vehicles with automatic transmission: Electical Short Circuit: It has been identified that the engine wiring harness of the 2.0ltr engined vehicles fitted with automatic transmission may have been incorrectly routed which may allow the wiring harness to contact the water charge air cooler bracket. Engine vibration can cause a chaffing condition where the outer sheathing of the cable can wear through and expose the wires of the engine harness. Depending on the orientation of the wires within the harness, then damage to wires can result in electrical arcing and a short circuit. This condition can also result in the illumination of a warning light on the instrument panel, loss of the electronic steering system, engine cut out without warning, melting of the cable sheathing and surrounding parts. Also, in extreme circumstances it can cause an under-bonnet fire. Fix: All affected vehicles will be recalled to inspect the clearance between the engine harness and water charge air cooler bracket. If the clearance is not to the correct specification the wiring harness will be repositioned and secured to ensure the specified clearance is achieved. If the engine harness shows signs of chafing the engine harness will be repaired, re-positioned to ensure the correct specification. VINs: SALVA2BN2HH168185 to SALVA5BN3HH188706 and
SALCA2AN9HH633943 to SALCA2BN2HH653045; build dates: 4-7-2016 to 10-10-2016

#3 ·
It's certainly the first I've heard of this except the recall which Barnsh mentions.

I had the dealer check my second DS just in case but there was no sign of harness damage.

#4 ·
Update from dealer today: it is the harness awaiting new harness which is on a priority order as there are none currently in stock. Car was only serviced a month ago you'd think they would've checked for recalls and advisories?
At least I've got wheels it seems it's going to be a while!

#5 ·
Charlieian said:
Update from dealer today: it is the harness awaiting new harness which is on a priority order as there are none currently in stock. Car was only serviced a month ago you'd think they would've checked for recalls and advisories?
At least I've got wheels it seems it's going to be a while!
That was a compulsory recall not a campaign they should have written to you ! I'd be asking why they didn't notify you.

Infact it was a recall that had a further recall because the first rendition of moving it didn't work.

#6 ·
Here's the recall for the "NOT DURABLE" recall.
Apparently the first move made it rub somewhere else.

28-4-2017: Land Rover Safety Related Recall PO96 issued. "Land Rover Discovery Sport and Range Rover Evoque 2016 model year Diesel Engine Specification Vehicles - AJ200 Diesel Engine Harness Foul to Umbilical Bracket. A concern has been identified with the routing of the engine harness in that it may not provide sufficient clearance and as a result could contact the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve (EGR) umbilical bracket fitted to the vehicles identified above. Vehicles included in Safety Recall PO75 (R/2016/289) have received a modification which has subsequently been determined is not durable for the life of the vehicle. As a result, engine harness contact with the EGR Umbilical Bracket can cause the wires within the engine harness protective sleeve to wear through, exposing the actual wires to short to the metal bracket added as part of the Recall PO75 (R/2016/289) repair. There is a possibility that any circuit within the engine harness could be compromised dur tp this condition resulting in a range of vehicle failure modes. Jaguar Land Rover engineers have identified that in the worst case it is possible that the vehicle engine may cut out whilst in motion. Should the engine cut out the brake vacuum reeervoir will be depleted and the brakes will lose power assistance, however foundation brakes continue to operate."
(31-12-2016: R/2016/302. Land Rover Discovery Sport, Range Rover Evoque with 2.0 litre diesel engine: SHORT CIRCUIT MAY OCCUR. Vehicles included in safety recall R/2016/302 (P075) [Means R/2016/289] have received a modification which has subsequently been determined as not durable for the life of the vehicle. The engine harness may chafe on an engine bracket and cause engine malfunction. In extreme cases the engine may cut out. Fix: On affected vehicles inspect harness and repair as necessary. Fit new bracket and secure harness. VINs: SALVA2AN4GH079010 to SALVA2BNXGH099325 and SALCA2AN6GH545785 to SALCA2CN6GH567024. Build dates: 9-7-2015 to 16-10-2015.)

#8 ·
Ops car was delivered prior to the build dates in the recall and therefore subsequent re-recall too.

#10 ·
Dashnine said:
Ops car was delivered prior to the build dates in the recall and therefore subsequent re-recall too.
Yep so maybe yet another recall on the way, ??

#11 ·
It does appear my car (build date Jan 2016) and VIN number are not within the parameters of the recall notice.
However it looks like the issue is effecting cars (like mine!) outside the recall notice.
Apparently the harness needs to built specifically to the build date including clip locations. Dealer believes the harness hadn't been correctly routed during assembly.
Perhaps I'm lucky (don't feel that way though!) the failure has happened during the warranty period and some cars may not break down until they are out of it.
I have lost some confidence in the car but time will tell.

#12 ·
LRDSSport, manual 190 2.2 engine. 2015 March.
A few days ago I had total loss of my power steering while driving on a busy twisty B road. Luckily I managed to control the car and park up (not easy). Roadside assist replaced a major fuse for th EPAS and it is working again but no diagnosis of the cause.

My local LR have advised me that they are not aware of any issues and will charge £99 to investigate in December when they have their next slot. I am not happy to drive the car and it is parked in my garage unless I have some suggestion it will not happen again. On the forum there were items relating to a wiring loom routing and replacement but that was for later 2 litre engines. Does anyone have any ideas. The car is now out of warranty by six months.

I would love to go back to the dealer with a reference to topix or some known fix.

Any help appreciated.

#13 ·
Snapped bolt on steering rack caused loss of steering at speed on M6! Discovery sport 65 plate
JUST in warranty but getting no feed back from garage. No wear and tear just snapped!!!! Not keen
To keep car if an issue only done 23k miles!

Anyone had similar? I'm piecing together some
Recall re steering?

Any help welcome!

Complaint into garage today. No calls/info in over
A week!!!!

#14 ·
Hi everyone, long term member here who rarely visits.

I have one of the original Disco Sports, first registered April 2015. It's now on 39600 miles. It's been pretty much flawless since I got it I've had almost no issues with it apart from the usual chocolate brake pads/discs.

However it seriously blotted its copy book 3 weeks ago. I went to drive out of my driveway and there was a horrific grinding noise from the front end, accompanied by no assistance to the steering. The grinding happened whenever I turned the steering wheel.

I got the car recovered by the RAC to a local independent garage. They put it up on the ramps to have a look underneath. What we found was that the entire PAS assembly had detached from the steering rack. the base of the PAS box was rattling around loose on top of the subframe... :shock:

Luckily the garage owner is the big brother of the Service Manager at the LR dealer I got the car from, he was quickly on the phone to his brother... there were a few rude words exchanged... the car was then transported to the main dealer where a new steering rack and PAS box were fitted. As the car was outside of warranty by 6 months I was pleased that Landrover picked up the bill for this, given that it would be the best part of £2500...

According to the Service Manager, the reason for the failure was that the bolts holding the PAS box to the steering arms had corroded to the point where they had all failed.

Just putting this out there, I would suggest that if you have an older DS that you get these bolts inspected, I was very lucky that the failure happened I think as I was reversing into my drive the night before. Had it happened out on the road at speed I might have had a big problem.

While I'm glad I'm not out the cash for the repair, it still cost me 280 quid to get the car recovered to the main dealer and I lost a holiday I had already paid for so another 400 quid there....

Gordon

#15 ·
Thanks for posting what is an almost unbelievable fault on a 3 year old car.

That smacks of cheap components and lack of rust protection .

I've seen another report on here of bolt failure on the steering rack , but it didn't define which bolt.

To have a steering failure on. 3 year old Car because of corrosion is truly awful.

Glad you were not hurt.

I'd like to think JLR will at least do some checks on other vehicles of this age to see if this is a common issue.

Thanks again

#16 ·
Speaks volumes for the way that the rest of the vehicle is thrown together. Defiantly not a long term keeper.

#17 ·
I would also report the defect on here so at least DVSA are aware it costs nothing but the time taken to report it.
"

What counts as a serious safety defect:
A serious safety defect is something:
1 about the way the vehicle is designed or made that's likely to cause injury or death.
2 that happens suddenly and without warning

"

https://forms.dvsa.gov.uk/Vsdr/create

#19 ·
Hi, I'm a new member, although I have owned a Discovery 3 for 10 years and now a Sport for 3. Thanks for your post, the exact same thing happened to my Sport last week. Husband driving it into a parking space and the steering rack breaks! No more detail than that, and their log of it was equally vague. I think someone else said, thank goodness it didn't happen driving at speed!
I immediately flagged with the dealership that I did not expect something like this to happen on a three year old car (Reg March 2015, and out of warranty); and then saw your post. Thankfully LR came back and agreed to do the work FOC, as they did yours, but I agree with others who hope that LR will look into this being an issue they have regularly.
Also agree that it's not a keeper, though expensive to replace. With a wiring loom replaced last year, shoddy work on my brakes, causing a leak (and subsequent failure of its first MOT!!), and now this I shall be looking to replace as soon as I can!
Not a fan of Landrover any more, as my Disco 3 also caused much trouble over its life. Shame as I love the drive!

#22 ·
Sell it, buy a late MY14/15 FL2 and put the remaining money back in the bank. If I was in your shoes, thats what I would do....fortunately I kept hold of my FL2, which at 6 years old remains bulletproof.....

Reactions: Arctic
#23 ·
Same happened to me, needed a whole new steering rack luckily was in warranty so was repaired. However 8 months on and same has happened again and just been advised that part warranty ran out with car warranty. If I'd paid for repair I would have 2 year warranty on part but no stuck with unsafe car, can't drive it. Car was not recalled but was a 2015 model.

#24 ·
One mile from home at recycling centre, on restarting car, horrid noise and no steering assistance. Walked home and now waiting for Landrover Assist. Is this a hydraulically assisted system or all electric?

#26 ·
This must be the third or fourth report of catastrophic steering failure on this forum. I'm starting to wonder if there's a pattern here...