Tailgate struts

All Discovery Sport related discussions
Hillwalker

Tailgate struts

Post by Hillwalker » Mon May 14, 2018 1:44 pm

Hi all. I have had my DS from new since Dec 2015, it has been brilliant.

It has done 36,500 miles so will be due the second service (I have a service plan) in 5,500 miles, which I estimate should be before it is 3 years old.

The tailgate struts are causing concern, making a dreadful growling noise, and fluid is leaking from them.

Does anybody know if these are still covered by warranty? I suspect if the are I need to get it done before the 3 year limit (if that is what it is).

Does anybody know?
SE Tech, 150, Ingenium, Firenze Red, Ebony interior, Privacy Glass, Service Pack. Rear View Camera, Spare Wheel.

davataylor

Re: Tailgate struts

Post by davataylor » Mon May 14, 2018 2:03 pm

i've just had mine replaced after 2 years as when it's very warm / hot the boot drops. when it's normal temperature it was fine. i took a video and showed it to the service guy and they confirmed that they needed to be replaced. It's now a lot quieter when opening and closing. Take it to the dealer and get them to have a look.
Discovery Sport HSE 180 Auto, Corris Grey, MY16
Electric tow bar, Adaptive Xenon, Blind Spot Monitor, USB 2nd Row
Re-Ordered 21.3.16 Delivered 11.5.16
Original car rejected on collection day due to 3" scratch on drivers door!
Guy Salmon Stockport

Hillwalker

Post by Hillwalker » Mon May 14, 2018 2:08 pm

Thanks davataylor, will do that.
SE Tech, 150, Ingenium, Firenze Red, Ebony interior, Privacy Glass, Service Pack. Rear View Camera, Spare Wheel.

Buy british

Post by Buy british » Mon May 14, 2018 2:12 pm

I'm not as knowledgeable as folks on here, but I'd be certain the struts are covered under warranty. .(,problem is not your fault).

Whilst you're at it, you should personally check everything else on the vehicle...software functions..electrics...brake discs for scoring marks..eff etc.

Might as well let them give it the full monty bill of health....👍
Arrived 30/05/18.........HSE 240 petrol..byron blue..18" grey wheels...cirrus leather..adaptive dampers..service pack..
Factory fitted options =... prayer mat, ..shrine to Buddah, ..and some worry beads hanging from the steering wheel.

Hillwalker

Post by Hillwalker » Mon May 14, 2018 3:58 pm

Thanks guys, called in local dealer, booked it in for Next Monday for new struts.

Buy British, I cannot for one moment imagine them offering me new discs if they were scored, surely that would be 'wear and tear' wouldn't it?

wardie

Post by wardie » Mon May 14, 2018 5:33 pm

Hillwalker wrote:Hi all. I have had my DS from new since Dec 2015, it has been brilliant.

It has done 36,500 miles so will be due the second service (I have a service plan) in 5,500 miles, which I estimate should be before it is 3 years old.

The tailgate struts are causing concern, making a dreadful growling noise, and fluid is leaking from them.

Does anybody know if these are still covered by warranty? I suspect if the are I need to get it done before the 3 year limit (if that is what it is).

Does anybody know?
Get it done under warranty - I did after just over 1 year mine started making a growling noise then one packed up entirely. The other one could hardly hold the boot up on its own. See prior post I did somewhere. I think someone previously commented “it’s not LR’s fault as they out-source parts like that” LOL...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gone: MY16 2.0 TD4 180 HSE Auto, Corris grey, ebony leather, 19" style 902, detachable tow bar, silver roof rails, memory seats, InControl plus & secure, traffic sign recognition, HomeLink, USBs passenger shelf & 2nd row, service plan

Buy british

Post by Buy british » Mon May 14, 2018 5:49 pm

Walker.....plenty of posts on this forum about potter and scored disc replacement.....have a look and see what ya think.
Arrived 30/05/18.........HSE 240 petrol..byron blue..18" grey wheels...cirrus leather..adaptive dampers..service pack..
Factory fitted options =... prayer mat, ..shrine to Buddah, ..and some worry beads hanging from the steering wheel.

Buy british

Post by Buy british » Mon May 14, 2018 5:50 pm

As if by magic......three headings down from this on current topics

Hillwalker

Post by Hillwalker » Thu May 17, 2018 4:07 pm

Walker, thanks for tipping me off to check my rear discs, they don't look good at all, in fact only half the discs (rear) are in contact with a brake pad! Had a chat with the local dealer, tells me that 'excessive corrosion of the discs' was noted on my car's record when I took it in for service last time. (I don't recall anybody saying anything to me about it).

I have asked him to check if its covered by warranty, so will be interested in what they have to say. Front discs are fine and they have had an identical life to the rear ones! I have to say I have never had a car where discs have corroded in 21,000 miles.

Anyway, have booked in so they can do the job on the tailgate struts and look at the discs at the same time.

Buy british

Post by Buy british » Thu May 17, 2018 5:06 pm

Walker....I imagine that only half the pad touching the disc is actually the warranty issue.

The worn disc is a by -product of that fault.

Someone wiser than I may advise you more fully.....good luck.

Return to “Main Discovery Sport chat”