Discovery Sport Forum banner

Tailgate/bootlid closing on my head...

36K views 83 replies 32 participants last post by  6 years in! 
#1 ·
Has anyone else had an issue with the HSE gesture tailgate opening or closing erratically? For instance, my wife was loading the shopping into the back of the car just now when the car beeped and shut the lid on her head. Really hurt her.

Then, whne we got home, as i walked past, the bootlid opened into me and knocked me backwards.

It did it yesterday when i was loading the car as well.

I can't see any one factor that remains the same. It does it when theres a key in your pokcet, and it shut on my wife when she didn't have a key.

Really annoying. We are both scared of it now and worried it'll trap our five year old.

#77 ·
Same happened to me. I was only 2nd day with DS. Tried to open the tailgate to show friends, it didn't open and when I about to give up it opened and stopped half way. And stopped there for a while even though I tried gestures control many times. At last I had to close it by the button

#78 ·
Update

Received my car back today from the dealer after I had issues with the tailgate. They have replaced the rear fog light which was apparently leaking in heavy downpours and are confident this has solved the issue (fingers crossed).

They told me LR are aware of this issue and have issued a bulletin to dealers to replace fog lights in the first instance.

#80 ·
As a temporary fix for the tailgate gesture problems I removed fuse 3 from fuse panel 4 in the boot of the car. This only controls the gesture tailgate system and leaves the remainder of the locking system, including keyless, operating as usual. If you don't need the gesture system this could even be a more permanent fix.

#81 ·
I have a 2018 discovery 5. The tailgate closes on me very often recently. In many times, the remote key was in the car and I was just getting my bags out of the boot. It’s very annoying and embarrassing. It happened today while I was getting my swimming gears out, my friends saw the tailgate was closing on me and jumped over to stop it. I’m contacting the service department to get it fixed.

#82 ·
As a temporary fix for the tailgate gesture problems I removed fuse 3 from fuse panel 4 in the boot of the car. (The handbook shows where this is and it is easy.) This only controls the gesture tailgate system and leaves the remainder of the locking system, including keyless, operating as usual. If you don't need the gesture system this could even be a more permanent fix. I've had no problems since and intend to leave it as for me the system is more trouble than it is worth. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.