Discovery Sport Forum banner

Snow and your DS

18K views 63 replies 18 participants last post by  simon 
#1 ·
First real time of driving the DS in the snow this morning. Fresh snow 75 to 100mm deep in the flat no problem at all. Engaging snow mode resulted in increased traction, however a bit to much right foot resulted in slight understeer. Used hdc on a long decent great piece of equipment.
Unfortunately I had a scary moment at no more than 5mph, on fresh snow with ice underneath on a steep decent. Abs working 100% and no retardation until the slope levelled out. Thankfully nothing coming in the opposite direction.
It just goes to show that all the technology in the world won't help if there is zero grip. It did however steer even when the abs was in meltdown.
I'm just glad I accounted for the conditions and kept the speed low.
Great machine :)

#27 ·
As far as I'm concerned it's quite simple. Everyone can do what they think fit provided they don't put others at risk and that they are prepared to accept the consequences if things go wrong.

#28 ·
Highlander, after the military, Insurance was the day job but Company car needed to be 4WD for all these places & most week ends were on Safari; been chased by Elephants & Rhinos. Great fun, especially if someone else is picking up the tab for punctures, broken rims & shocks! & yes there is snow on the Equator! :D

#30 ·
PaulCP said:
Of course, 4x4's are not infallible as the lady driving this one found out yesterday
Skidded, clipped a low wall then flipped over.

IMG_1060.JPG
Shame we couldn't check out the SCRF from the other angle.... :lol:

#32 ·
Assuming the Landrover Off-Road setting have required a great amount of skill and brain power to develope, why is it then that punters need to start switching off something like traction control in order to achieve better results in poor conditions?
I would have thought that selecting "Grass, gravel , snow" would give optimum results for making progress in snow conditions when the going gets really tough!!

#33 ·
PaulCP said:
Of course, 4x4's are not infallible as the lady driving this one found out yesterday

IMG_1060.JPG
Looking at the other picture from the front it looks like coming through that 90 degree bridge might have been the root, or at least start of the poor persons problems.

Remember you car and it's traction is only as good as the contact and grip of the tyres on the road, gravity does the rest of the damage.

All weathers are not as good on ice as full winters .

#34 ·
PedroT said:
Assuming the Landrover Off-Road setting have required a great amount of skill and brain power to develope, why is it then that punters need to start switching off something like traction control in order to achieve better results in poor conditions?
I would have thought that selecting "Grass, gravel , snow" would give optimum results for making progress in snow conditions when the going gets really tough!!
Then you would be very wrong in that assumption - it's not a magic button that fixes everything. There are various factors including the basic laws of physics that come into play - if you think that pushing a button makes you invincible then you seriously, SERIOUSLY should not be on the road in conditions such as these! 😡

#35 ·
PedroT said:
Never had to turn it off on the DS , if you look at the landrover videos on you tube , they test running round on snow and ice with it off and on. They prove there is more stability with it on.

However getting moving when stuck is different.
I used to turn it DSC off on the bmw as rear wheel spin was cut out instantly by DSC /TCS and you just sat on the same spot going nowhere, but it automatically switched back on over 18 mph.

However never had that much spin in the DS or previous 4x4 I've owned that I've ever needed to turn it off.
To me it's there if you need to turn it off if all else fails , but with low traction launch, snow ice /rain mode there little need to switch it off. You are in effect turning off a key device that is linked to traction control that is needed at faster speeds.

#36 ·
Turning it off and leaving it off at faster speeds is not best

Older systems used to automatically switch back on again at about 15-20 for this reason.

#37 ·
Dashnine said:
PaulCP said:

IMG_1060.JPG
Shame we couldn't check out the SCRF from the other angle.... :lol:
Probably out doing a 40 mile run to clean it out :lol: :lol:

#38 ·
Badger, I obviously hadn't made my point very well. I understand that all cars are likely to have problems in severe weather conditions and drivers ought to take on board the advice given by Police and weather experts.
My point is simply that LR have developed a system to give optimal results in poor conditions and it just seems odd to me that folks think that they have a better solution by making their own interventions by switching off a system (traction control) which is normally left in the active mode.
I am always keen to have the best advice possible and find this forum great for gaining knowledge of my Landrover.

#39 ·
What many 4x4 drivers fail to remember is - the 4x4 system helps you get going. It offers NOTHING to help you stop again!

Well, the DS offers HDC which is handy so long as you remember it!

THe number of 4x4s I've seen managed to get up to 30-40 on the lanes, and, I'm just glad they're going where i@m not...

I always advise - as you drive in snow, pretend the car will explode if you touch the brake pedal. Drive as much as you can to avoid ever touching it, and use it only in dire emergency.

#40 ·
ccomley said:
What many 4x4 drivers fail to remember is - the 4x4 system helps you get going. It offers NOTHING to help you stop again!

Well, the DS offers HDC which is handy so long as you remember it!

THe number of 4x4s I've seen managed to get up to 30-40 on the lanes, and, I'm just glad they're going where i@m not...

I always advise - as you drive in snow, pretend the car will explode if you touch the brake pedal. Drive as much as you can to avoid ever touching it, and use it only in dire emergency.
I was taught to drive the same way many decades ago, in fact my mother used to clout me round the head for using touching the brakes. I learned quickly about engine braking 😀🙄

#41 ·
Having driven a variety of vehicles myself, in poor weather conditions or in any conditions, I always found applying pressure to any of the three foot pedals (two in automatics) can have unexpected results, not with standing the fact you have to apply pressure to make any progress. :D

#42 ·
DS SteveB said:
I have had over 50 years driving experience; 10 years military including training with '45' Commando, 20 years 'Safari' 4WD experience in Africa, South America & the Caribbean & as a Police Driver; I know my capabilities & wanted to explore those of my vehicle in a rural route unused by other vehicles. There may not be snow here for many years but now I know what the car can & can't do & when I have to go out in poor conditions I can make an informed decision. :D
Very true. Best way to learn is to play... I mean test drive :)

Regards GGS - I popped this on another thread...

It's all very clever stuff and a lot more is happening behind the scenes than you might think:

GGS alters the accelerator pedal mapping to provide more a gradual / softer response, which helps avoid wheelspin caused by suddenly applying too much power.

The gearbox automatically sets off in 2nd gear (or 3rd in low range), again to reduce wheel slip. It also changes up and down the box in a smoother way to avoid sudden jerks in speed.

The electronic centre and rear differentials (if ftted) are switched to a higher preload setting, which means they'll kick in sooner to stop one tyre spinning, and the traction control also switches to a more aggressive response pattern.

Hill Descent Control (HDC), which of course uses the ABS system to maintain a walking pace down steep hills, is automatically engaged in low range in GGS. You can alter the speed via the steering wheel controls. Its superb for scrubbing off speed without drama or touching the brakes.

The central message centre screen on the dash will display steering direction when more than 1/2 turn of steering lock is applied. Very handy when you have no idea which way the front wheels are pointing. As soon as you find grip of course you know as the D5 could shoot off in an unexpected direction !

Also the ABS is setup to allow a build up of material in front of the wheels to help aid slowing down. i.e. Its less aggressive than when in Normal mode and will allow some lock up.

#43 ·
UFO 555 said:
Having driven a variety of vehicles myself, in poor weather conditions or in any conditions, I always found applying pressure to any of the three foot pedals (two in automatics) can have unexpected results, not with standing the fact you have to apply pressure to make any progress. :D
G
There are some out there driving who shouldn't even have released the handbrake.

#44 ·
ccomley said:
UFO 555 said:
G
There are some out there driving who shouldn't even have released the handbrake.
Ooopps, I forgot about that device. And there is the steering wheel as well :)

#45 ·
Well, assumed that we'd seen the worst of it, only to be confronted with this just 20 minutes ago, (the second picture was this afternoon) and it's still falling, as I'm sure Dashnine and any other South Warwickshire folk can testify.

It bothers me not one iota - I'm using the FL2 in these conditions as I have 17" alloys and winter tyres fitted. The DS can sit tight for now......besides, on current form if you sneeze in its general direction, it will throw a fault, whereas the former simply won't!

Ps: whilst highly unlikely to be reading this, but to the dickhead in the Audi (what else!) A3 that thought it "gangsta" to overtake at Offchurch Lane this afternoon at 15:47 and ended up sideways at the bridge, I left you stuck there deliberately , as I'm sure did the D3 following me, because you are an utter C-unit and deserved everything that you got. I'll be posting the dashcam footage of your stupidity on another website once I've downloaded it - T1T!

Attachments

#46 ·
My DS did a couple of hundred miles yesterday, delivering essential workers and carers to their hospitals and care-ees. Only worrying moment was of course caused by someone who should have stayed at home. Trying to overtake, FFS, when I was already doing plenty for the snowy state of teh road.

#47 ·
Badgerface said:
Well, assumed that we'd seen the worst of it, only to be confronted with this just 20 minutes ago, (the second picture was this afternoon) and it's still falling, as I'm sure Dashnine and any other South Warwickshire folk can testify.

It bothers me not one iota - I'm using the FL2 in these conditions as I have 17" alloys and winter tyres fitted. The DS can sit tight for now......besides, on current form if you sneeze in its general direction, it will throw a fault, whereas the former simply won't!

Ps: whilst highly unlikely to be reading this, but to the dickhead in the Audi (what else!) A3 that thought it "gangsta" to overtake at Offchurch Lane this afternoon at 15:47 and ended up sideways at the bridge, I left you stuck there deliberately , as I'm sure did the D3 following me, because you are an utter C-unit and deserved everything that you got. I'll be posting the dashcam footage of your stupidity on another website once I've downloaded it - T1T!
The snow seems to have stopped again, but wouldn't be surprised to see more in the morning.

Do share the Audi footage here too, sounds well worth a look!

#48 ·
I managed to get mine stuck briefly but that was due to the snow plough I was following getting stuck 😂

Tyres tyres tyres make the most difference
Remiembef 4 wheel drive doesn't mean 4 wheel grip
If it's going side way it's going side ways
I was hope to try out my can of " liquid snow chains " from bluecol but didn't need it

#49 ·
Ah, I also was stuck briefly. That was due to being optimistic! The road was half covered with snow that had drifted through the hedge from the field. Everyone was driving around the drift so it was a single passable lane. I always try to drive a bit on the snow so as to widen the available road and I did te same here, but I bit off a bit more than teh DS could chew! Had to wiggle forwards and back a few times then manged to back off, and then went through still smushing down a little of the edge of the drift but not as much as my first attempt.

NO-one saw! You can't prove anything!

Reactions: handyman
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.