Discovery Sport Forum banner

Lost Deposit?

9K views 47 replies 13 participants last post by  The Highlander 
#1 ·
This is all by phone, just to be clear before we start.

I had problems ordering a new vehicle with a particular dealers Sales Manager who couldn't be bothered to be honest. Ignored emails, phone calls, he was a busy, busy boy - should have seen the writing on the wall, but it's so typical of a LR dealer, you shrug it off.

Anyway, I stupidly persevered despite the fact he'd demoted the order to one of his Salesmen and eventually ordered. The Salesman hadn't a clue basically, which I suppose didn't matter too much, it's not the first time I've come across a dense Salesman. I then discovered if I took a finance deal, even if I paid it off within a day or two, I got £1.5k back from LR. Anyway, price amended. So far, so good.

I then discovered I should have got £2.5k off a finance deal. Phoned up dealership and they said that £1.5k comes from LR and £1k from themselves, but as I'd already had such a good deal, way beyond the extra £1k, they couldn't give me anymore.

Anyway, I was asked to put down a deposit to secure a build slot, which I did, giving my Credit Card particulars.

I then had to ask him what size the deposit was. It turned out to be £1k. Okay, but I wish you'd mentioned this before.

Now on reflection, I can't say I am particularly happy about the way I've been treated - slow learner, and I think I'll cancel.

Do the Distance Selling Regs apply to deposits? Will I get my £1k back? I can see a fight coming.

See less See more
#28 ·
I had a second hand Chrysler - 1981. Bit of a rust bucket, but then I had the sea air to contend with in the Outer Hebridies. :cry:

Back to the order, I wouldn't mind, but the email and you've seen it in its entirety - not edited, as above, came from the Sales Manager and I'd dealt with this particular garage before and had a new car from them. That and this vehicle being over £40k, not that it should matter.

#29 ·
It just reinforces the apathy that dealers treat customers with these days. They are not interested in repeat business whatsoever. It's all about quarterly targets and sod everyone else. They are no better than bankers (an ironic piece of rhyming slang if ever there was!)

On a lighter note and slightly deviating.....its further MORE irony that Land Rover SVO & Classic have just moved to a brand new industrial centre on the site of the old Chrysler/Talbot plant just up the road from me at Ryton.

#30 ·
Apologies if I've missed it - haven't googled the exact answer but yes - order over the phone, even a deposit is covered by the distance selling directive

#32 ·
surely if you just booked a build slot not a highly personalised car , the dealer will simply use that slot for another customer and refund your cash.

a personalised car in maybe snot green with pink seats would be your problem and you would deserve to loose your deposit and much much more

#33 ·
Well, it's basically a standard black Disco 5 HSE with heated steering wheel and more USBs. There might be more personalised bits I can't remember, but nothing significant. I can't see it's a problem, but yet again, nothing heard today. I am itching to phone them and hear what excuse they come up with, but I won't, I'd rather see how long it is before they phone or contact me.

#34 ·
Happens a lot. Infact the other days someone on a switchboard phoe line was very helpful and courteous to me. I made a point of thanking him profusely for his efforts.
In reality he was only doing what he gets paid for but still.
Personally im still waiting for a proper reciept for my trade in car March17. Presently the figures are fudged into the new car finance aggreement. my accountant is overly happy about presenting fudged paperwork.
The previous dealership accountant was very good .The new one seem non existant.
The first guy used to drive to work in my car on service days as he was passing anyway .proper old school service. Which happily kept me away from the tempting shiney metal in the showroom.

#35 ·
I am always very pleasant until something inexcusable happens then I go off on one.

The change price was exceptional and I think they are betting on this as being a get out of jail card or if it was a mistake, hoping I'll cancel.

But then I have a propensity it cut my nose off to spite my face.

#36 ·
The Highlander said:
I am always very pleasant until something inexcusable happens then I go off on one.

The change price was exceptional and I think they are betting on this as being a get out of jail card or if it was a mistake, hoping I'll cancel.

But then I have a propensity it cut my nose off to spite my face.
+1 😀

#39 ·
Chippy said:
syl said:
if there's no signed order, how can they prove they have ordered the right spec? If they won't return the deposit, when the car arrives tell them it's the wrong colour.
I always thought that a signed order and order acknowledgement were a legal requirement in the UK as well as where I am but maybe I'm mistaken.

Any developments Highlander?
Your right Chippy there is no signed contract in law it's pretty much unenforceable

#40 ·
Yes, from my point of view they can't enforce a contract on me simply because one doesn't exist, so I get the deposit back, but from their point of view, in their haste to take a deposit, does that mean they have to supply a car, albeit I accept it's taking a chance of the spec being right.

The other thing is I've not been told a build date, so if I want to change things about I might not be able to.

It's annoying, but that's it, its not going to take over my life, I've other and better things to be doing tbh.

#41 ·
Having read through again from the beginning in case I missed something, It seems to me that you got such a good exchange deal, (well done) and deprived them of the "opportunity" of screwing extra money out of you by doing the deal on the phone, they are in the position of not caring if the deal goes through or not, as they now have the car to sell on at greater profit eventually to some one else, and meanwhile hang onto your deposit.
If you want true "satisfaction" the answer is to end up with the car, plus what ever else you can get for the "inconvenience."

#43 ·
Oh well, the new car arrived at the dealership on Friday. I only knew because I rang them up about getting the old car it's first service. :roll:

I asked them for a chassis number so I could check on the topix site for spec - they will get back to me. :roll:

They asked me when I'd be able to collect it, told them perhaps 30th of this month. That went down like a lead balloon. :lol:

I asked them about taxing it for 12 months and whatever days. They told me it couldn't be done like that anymore, so phoned the DVLA and oh yes it can, so sent them a suitable email. :roll:

Note to self, do not buy another %#@+**% Land Rover. :?

#44 ·
Yup, dealers (and dealers only I believe) can tax the car for a year and a week, otherwise no-ones going to buy a car at the end of a month (picked mine up 31st March).

#46 ·
I'd be standing in the dealer principles office refusing to budge until it was sorted!

I'm normally very polite until it's time to get annoyed. Years ago had a big row with a dealer over my wife's then car a Citroen C3 and a known safety fault. It ended up with me hauling him physically over his desk due to his attitude towards my wife and her safety.

#47 ·
I can understand why you did what you did.

Unfortunately I am a couple of hundred miles from the dealership I am dealing with so things have to get done by email and phone. Their sister garage is a lot nearer, but wouldn't do the same deal.

I've still not heard back from them today. I will phone them up later.

They should have responded by confirming the car tax is as the DVLA said, giving me the chassis number and confirming the end of the month is fine for collection - have to be because SWMBO and the kids want to come down and visit an Artists exhibition. Everyone getting a day off at the same time is unusual.

It does annoy me, but I contain it on the basis I'd rather talk it through like adults rather than get a bout of Tourette's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.