Discovery Sport Forum banner

SSM73697

49K views 82 replies 16 participants last post by  DiskoSport17 
#1 ·
#5 ·
back of beyond said:
As everything else seems to be getting repeated today. i will repeat 'no dpf fitted to DS'
Yes CG a DPF is part of the SCRF system ( the RF is the Reduction Filter) same thing same story .
As I told you before they call it DPF and DPF light as that's is what non technical people understand .

#8 ·
Id have got away with it if it wasnt for you pesky kids.

No matter who said it there is still no dpf. Scrf performs a dpf like function but doesnt have a dpf inside it.

Im not here to offend anyone.but im sticking to my principles and sometimes i cant make omlette without cracking eggs.

Tell me true facts and we will get on fine.

#9 ·
Read the SMM

DPF light fault codes ....etc

It's just interchangeable words

They call them DPF lights as that's what users understand.

Then they change the SCRF ( which the DPF lights ) apply to.

You just have to accept it's sloppy .....agreed but it's what industry does.

#10 ·
And just to add to the mix it was called an SDPF first by Terres, After packaging of bits in one box.
The S is Selective , this is DEF addition.

Then some bright spark at Johnson Matthew trade marked SCRF which is why you see the little R in a circle next to it.

Owners can't keep up with this so the name DPF stuck.
Wrongly perhaps but it stuck.

Packaging constraints will be one of the biggest challenges with reintroducing the DPF to existing aftertreatment systems. Space within engine compartments is already limited, especially in smaller pieces of equipment, making it difficult to include more components. Terres says one way manufacturers are looking to overcome this is to use the SDPF technology being introduced for light-duty vehicles in which the selective catalytic reduction (SCR) catalyst is coated directly onto a DPF substrate. "This DOC + SDPF system requires only a small amount of additional space compared to the Stage IV SCR-only system," he explains.

Also referred to as an SCRF, these SDPF systems are able to warm up faster due to their closer proximity to the vehicle's engine than an SCR located downstream which enables earlier NOx conversion. According to Johnson Matthey, a manufacturer of SCRFs, these systems improve thermal management of the catalyst. They are also demanding systems and therefore may require additional SCR/ammonia slip catalyst to maximize nitrogen oxide (NOx) conversion. Gary Simons, Exhaust/Emissions Engineering Director at Donaldson Company Inc., says these systems can impact packaging, but generally not diesel exhaust fluid (DEF, also referred to as AdBlue) mixing performance.

#11 ·
@NDS

Is this microdot marking on the underside of the SCRF/DPF/Exhaust system, visible whilst under a ramp, or is it 'hidden' against the floor pan, in an inverted state?

TIA

#12 ·
Badgerface said:
@NDS

Is this microdot marking on the underside of the SCRF/DPF/Exhaust system, visible whilst under a ramp, or is it 'hidden' against the floor pan, in an inverted state?

TIA
I was just pondering that ...
I'd hazard a guess looking at the photograph of the system it may well be on top .
As the pipe to the right goes upeards to the DOC. :(

#14 ·
Barnsh said:
Badgerface said:
@NDS

TIA
I'd hazard a guess looking at the photograph of the system it may well be on top .
Me too - came to the same conclusion - on top, hidden away.

#15 ·
Dashnine said:
Barnsh said:
Badgerface said:
@NDS

TIA
Mirror ?

#16 ·
Barnsh said:
Dashnine said:
Barnsh said:
Mirror ?
Don't think you'll get enough angle on it to see from the side. Phone camera on a timer, slide it in with a bit of trial and error (or FaceTime it to another device)?

#17 ·
billdun said:
Not just customers who are easily confused. JLR's own internal document JLRP00100 refers to it as a DPF.
Agreed , that's why understanding how something works in engineering is far far more important than the name .

A bit like the old saying "the rear waffle sprocket in the back woomfer is gone"

#18 ·
Dashnine said:
Barnsh said:
Dashnine said:
Mirror ?
Don't think you'll get enough angle on it to see from the side. Phone camera on a timer, slide it in with a bit of trial and error (or FaceTime it to another device)?
One of those cheap Amazon camera probes then ......why put it on top eh the numpties.

#19 ·
For ease it maybe wise to call a close coupled dpf a thermal dpf and a DS type an scrf
I agree they both trap and ultimatly destroy diesel particulates. But the way they do this can cause animated discussions if the two types are allowed to mix unlabelled in a discussion.

Then of course there is the scr box not fitted to the DS. The job of that is to convert NOx .these are generally towards the rear of cars exhaust system

Generically calling diesel emmision controls 'dpf' seems to work well for marketing and ease. But as we have learnt it is too generic in a complicated world.

#20 ·
Be careful your now creating a TDPF :D

It's just easier to accept it has an SCRF which sometimes wrongly gets called a DPF .
The lights for the SCRF are called DPF lights (orange and red) .

This light naming may also stem from the fault codes which if you look them up are DPF fault codes. Maybe they should have created new fault codes , but as engineers know what they are there's little point.

The SCRF is coated with a chemical substrate internally to assist to kill NOx when it reacts with DEF which is injected further up line ( used to be a separate box on older systems called SCR)
The SCRF has a filter that collects soot which needs heat to burn off. ( used to be DPF on its own)

So SCR and DPF in one box gave the SCRF

There's a DOC further upstream

New inventions already on some Jaguars and VWs now join the DOC to the SCRF. Why have multiple boxes when you can have one. ( space constraints)

It just evolves over time.

#22 ·
back of beyond said:
Barnsh said:
So SCR and DPF in one box gave the SCRF
after they threw away all the scr bits and all the dpf bits and replaced with a different element
Different element more modern coatings , but same function ( kill NOx trap pm particles and burn them)

#24 ·
If the goose is cooked, we can always substitute it for chicken? :lol:

#25 ·
Badgerface said:
If the goose is cooked, we can always substitute it for chicken? :lol:
How many names are there for a chicken good example and analogy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.