Discovery Sport Forum banner

DPF Fault !!!!!

304K views 577 replies 129 participants last post by  Ray C 
#1 ·
Driving home tonight and the car went into limp mode. Phoned LR Assist - they dispatched the AA, AA turn up and run a diagnostic check which shows a DPF fault. Fault cleared, car working again, will chase LR for a replacement tomorrow.

#77 ·
you might want to get yourself a coffee or a large glass of your favourite tipple and read this long thread .

It is possible you were misssold a diesel and could have some recourse depending on the laws in Italy. Uk owners have successfully rejected vehicles as "not fit for purpose" as no warning was given about what JLR call "driving style" in their advertising material. This is admitted in JLRP00100 https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/download/file.php?id=5997

https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5379&p=80861&hilit=Service+interval#p80861

#78 ·
Why can't JLR Australia make a decision about a costumer complaint
We have been emailing them and calling since October and they have gone quiet will not answer emails or return calls as promised
We have a case number since the first email yet as of today they still cant sort it out ?
I think i have spoken to every employee in the office its getting beyond ridiculous
next step is legal action
Has anyone got any advice on this matter ?

#79 ·
From what you have written and bearing in mind that you seem to have done everything reasonable possible it would seem to me that the the only road you can go down is the one of legal action.

Not living in Australia I'm afraid I have no idea what this involves but I'm sure that someone else on here living there may be able to help.

Good luck.

#80 ·
Hi dsaus I see from above that you have posted 37 times so far. If you were to add some info of your whereabouts in the world you are and past and present car history (as i.e. Chippy has) it might help US to help YOU !, now and in the future. " Just saying "

It may have been stated within past posts , but not of course obvious here.

#81 ·
hope that helps
What is the average distance people getting before the the active burn light has been coiming on ?
We were never informed about the Filter when purchasing the DS.. and i think this is JLR fault
So far we have had the car towed twice due to the filter blocking up
the Exhaust filter has been replaced once ( it went from yellow light to red light in 20km)
Even now with the new filter it is filling up and needing an active burn in 249km (it take me a 20km special drive to emplty it, 40km round trip)
so as a guess in 12000km of driving i have had to do 1200km of special drives to to keep this car on the road!!!
plus fuel and my time......Landrover Experience.....

#82 ·
Newbie here but have read a lot about the faults others describe and have been nodding in recognition.

I got a new DS last March, SE Manual Diesel- never thought I'd own a car like this. I got to choose the colour and everything!! Anyway it's had a quite a few problems and been back to the dealer several times.
First the clutch went and after trying to say maybe I'd been using it too much said it was a dodgy clutch that had completely burnt out.
Then fumes came out from under the bonnet. Went back three times to sort this.
Was OK for a while although it seemed the message about the filter needing cleaning by driving 40+ popped up quite regularly, even after long journeys. Auto stop/start hasn't happened for months. Then the engine light came on and it said it needed a service so back it went. The filter message was also back.
The dealer force cleaned it, software update and other stuff and it had to go back in a week later when they got a part (some injector thing).
I complained for the first time after this. Mainly because they have been so lovely at the dealers and have always done their best.
Within 5 days the filter message came up again. The car is low mileage- pottering about day to day, with long day trips/weekends/holidays every 2-3 weeks. Got a phonecall from a central customer services following my complaint that went to central and cc to dealer that said the recent filter thing was my driving style and it could be ignored. The message turned red a few days later (hardly been used) and the car went into limp mode. Roadside came out and couldnt clear it with a big drive. Went to dealers again.
The MD has got me a very posh courtesy car and now phoned to say he thinks it's just not suitable for me. That manual diesels are having problems with the filters.
He said he doesn't want me to pick it up and the same thing happen again in a few weeks and that I should think about changing to an automatic or changing to a different car.
What I really want is none of this stress. I love my car but at the same time feel so let down and have no confidence. I can't pay any more for an automatic and I believe it would push up the company car tax I would have to pay. But also I can't think of another 7 seater as lovely as this!
What if the automatic goes wrong too?? How much money would they be likely to offer for an 11month old car? What should I expect? What would you do?

#83 ·
The MD has got me a very posh courtesy car and now phoned to say he thinks it's just not suitable for me.
He's right. Based on your comments, this car may not be suitable for your driving needs. That being the case, the MD has just handed you on a plate the makings of a rejection under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. If it's not suitable now, then it wasn't suitable in March 2017, when they sold it to you. In my opinion, and that of many contributors to this forum, the type of fault you are experiencing might be one that the manufacturer can't or won't fix and therefore it will stay this way until a new model is introduced.

However, before going down the path of rejection you should eliminate the possibility that a faulty SCRF (a metal box under the car that houses the DPF) is contributing to the faults you have experienced. Take the car back to the dealer and demand that they take the SCRF off to inspect its serial number as described in this recent publication: https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7558

If the SCRF is one of the faulty ones it will be changed free of charge, an action that may significantly improve the performance of the exhaust system and prevent a repetition of the amber and red warning lights which signal a blockage, or impending blockage, of the DPF. You should at least give this a go. If the SCRF isn't listed as faulty, my advice would be to get rid of this vehicle as soon as possible by the cheapest means available - i.e. reject it as faulty and not as described.

#84 ·
It affects the automatics too, not just the manuals. Most modern diesels are no longer suitable for pottering about with the odd long trip. The filter clears when it needs it, not when it detects the long trips, so it might need it the day after the long trip.

While you had no choice last March, you have the option of petrol engines now, which don't have the filter. You could try rejecting the diesel and get a petrol instead. If you are pottering about with short runs in the diesel (at its most inefficient) the fuel economy probably won't be a lot worse in the petrol.

#85 ·
NoDiscoSport said:
The MD has got me a very posh courtesy car and now phoned to say he thinks it's just not suitable for me.
He's right. Based on your comments, this car may not be suitable for your driving needs. That being the case, the MD has just handed you on a plate the makings of a rejection under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. If it's not suitable now, then it wasn't suitable in March 2017, when they sold it to you. In my opinion, and that of many contributors to this forum, the type of fault you are experiencing might be one that the manufacturer can't or won't fix and therefore it will stay this way until a new model is introduced.

However, before going down the path of rejection you should eliminate the possibility that a faulty SCRF (a metal box under the car that houses the DPF) is contributing to the faults you have experienced. Take the car back to the dealer and demand that they take the SCRF off to inspect its serial number as described in this recent publication: https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7558

If the SCRF is one of the faulty ones it will be changed free of charge, an action that may significantly improve the performance of the exhaust system and prevent a repetition of the amber and red warning lights which signal a blockage, or impending blockage, of the DPF. You should at least give this a go. If the SCRF isn't listed as faulty, my advice would be to get rid of this vehicle as soon as possible by the cheapest means available - i.e. reject it as faulty and not as described.
OK That's interesting, thank you very much for your advice. I'm gutted though!

#86 ·
Dashnine said:
It affects the automatics too, not just the manuals. Most modern diesels are no longer suitable for pottering about with the odd long trip. The filter clears when it needs it, not when it detects the long trips, so it might need it the day after the long trip.

While you had no choice last March, you have the option of petrol engines now, which don't have the filter. You could try rejecting the diesel and get a petrol instead. If you are pottering about with short runs in the diesel (at its most inefficient) the fuel economy probably won't be a lot worse in the petrol.
That's interesting. MD said his wife only does short trips and hers was fine- an automatic and that they seemed to just be having problems with manuals. But yes thinking about a petrol automatic as a possibility as I love lots of things about the DS, but it puts the list price up and the company car tax I would have to pay. Gah!!

#87 ·
dsaus said:
What is the average distance people getting before the the active burn light has been coiming on ?
Provided that you do at least one journey lasting 60 minutes every 200-250 miles driving at speeds of between 50 km/h and 100 km/h, you should never see the Amber or Red DPF lights. This is the definition of "normal" driving contained in a letter I received from the JLR Executive Office in October 2017.

If you are meeting this "driving style" requirement and the DPF is still becoming clogged, the next thing to look at is the possibility that your car is fitted with a faulty DPF/SCRF https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7558

#89 ·
The car has been into the dealership and one of the sensors was replaced. At the time we were told that this would solve the problem. Surprise, surprise, the problem still exists.
The mechanics at the dealership have told my wife and I to drive the car at a constant 90kph for 20 mins which will clear the amber warning and facilitate active regeneration. We have done this twice now and sure enough the warning clears itself only to return after 1 week of town driving (45 klm). The car has been into the workshop (6th time) and the test equipment indicates that regeneration has only been successful once.
Before purchasing the car and as most people do, I read many articles, reviews and the usual land rover documentation and did not see any mention that consistent town driving would lead to this issue. Land Rover Italia have been made aware of the issue and at the moment, I am considering the replace the car with a Mercedes GLC.
This is exactly what has happened to us in Melbourne. We have had the red warning and a sudden speed limitation while on a highway (where my wife was driving to...uh...regenerate the DPF. That was great. It's not like driving a diesel engine around a city is something that radical.

We are very likely to be demanding a replacement or return, not sure how to go about that. Trouble is the car is a perfect 7 seater otherwise. I hear that a petrol equivalent will be released here this year.

#90 ·
Nothing to do with it being a manual from my perspective , not had a DPF issue, then I do longer journeys.
It's well worth following up the faulty DPF scenario as per previous post , your dealer might not have seen this and has not checked your DPF physically by removing it and looking at the numbers on it, if it ends in FB it's a free replacement DPF for you.

#91 ·
Excepting the possibility of a faulty SCRF (which should definitely be investigated), the less severe consequences of this problem are caused by architecture and hardware issues that are not going to be fixed in the short term (probably never) - see JLRP00100 for the explanation. Until January 2018 when they disclosed the possible faulty SCRFs, JLR attempted to apportion 100% of the blame for oil dilution, early services and - initially - for the clogged DPFs, onto owners. Their intransigent, some would say arrogant, responses (over almost rwo years) to their original incompetence and dishonesty has sharply divided opinion, particularly for those with some knowledge of the engineering issues involved. With one notable exception, I think everyone now agrees with this interpretation. So, firstly, I think you ought to get the SCRF checked. If that fixes things, well great..

But if that isn't the issue, then you have to choose - either (a) sell it to someone who can live with its foibles or (b) change the way you drive it. I absolutely loved my DS and believe me (JLR will tell you this, too) if there had been a third way, I would willingly have taken it.

#92 ·
But if that isn't the issue, then you have to choose - either (a) sell it to someone who can live with its foibles or (b) change the way you drive it. I absolutely loved my DS and believe me (JLR will tell you this, too) if there had been a third way, I would willingly have taken it.

Very unfortunately I'm only now becoming aware of this problem. My wife was sold a diesel Disco Sport by a LR dealership in the full knowledge that she does city driving. It's a popular choice in Melbourne suburbs because it's a compact 7 seater.

I can drive it on the freeway every couple of weeks but we have the whole amber-warning-every-five days, red lamp a week later situation happening, it's been back to the dealer twice and I think the first time the SCRF was already replaced. They stated there was a recall but not for our vehicle (bought July 2017).

At this point, hopefully there is something else to replace and we keep and and we just deal with me having to drive it to my days work in the countryside once a month.

Otherwise we have a problem. There was another comment above from Australia; if we have ongoing problems we will have to demand a replacement (I think there is a petrol model??) or trade it in with the possibility of going to small claims court if the process ends up being expensive.

#94 ·
Barnsh said:
It's well worth following up the faulty DPF scenario as per previous post , your dealer might not have seen this and has not checked your DPF physically by removing it and looking at the numbers on it, if it ends in FB it's a free replacement DPF for you.
I will definitely ask about this when I speak to them. I think I want to still try with a LR as apart from the issues I love it as a car. So I will also ask about DPF faults in an automatic, what my rights are if that happens again if I change to an automatic. I will ask about changing to petrol too, but emissions are much higher so I would have to pay more company car tax.

I can't believe this is happening to so many people as they're certainly very popular city cars!

#95 ·
I'm sorry to hear about your continuing problems but, as has already been mentioned in this thread changing to an automatic version is not going to help you with regard to the DPF fault. It's not a gearbox related problem.

Judging by what you have written with regard to your typical journey types the only real solution is a petrol engined version.

#97 ·
scrf said:
Most of the scrf clogged problems seem to be in Australia, different fuel mix?

Dont know of many UK drivers who get to see those warning lamps.
6 cases going through the financial Ombudsman in the UK , 4 in the last two months. That's just the ones I know of and have helped, only 1 is on this forum.
Not an Australia issue.

#99 ·
scrf said:
convenient that they are not on the forum, the forum shows an Australian trend

Sadly repeated short low speed journeys will clog particulate filters on any modern diesel car, they all have hardware and architecture.
This car is notably worse than others in this respect because the manufacturer has now admitted that some cars in a batch of 200,000 are fitted with a Faulty DPF Component. This comes on top of an Exhaust System Design Fault that they disclosed in July 2017. It seems that some animals are more equal than others.

#100 ·
Chippy said:
I'm sorry to hear about your continuing problems but, as has already been mentioned in this thread changing to an automatic version is not going to help you with regard to the DPF fault. It's not a gearbox related problem.

Judging by what you have written with regard to your typical journey types the only real solution is a petrol engined version.
Yes I said I would ask them about this. Thanks

#101 ·
scrf said:
convenient that they are not on the forum, the forum shows an Australian trend

Sadly repeated short low speed journeys will clog particulate filters on any modern diesel car, they all have hardware and architecture.
What do you mean by convenient ?
This forum isn't the be all and end all of DS owners!

One case has been doing trips of well over 100 miles regularly .