Votes: 9 5.3%
  • <t>Yes - mine reads low sometimes</t>

Votes: 112 65.5%
  • <t>No - mine is fine.</t>

Votes: 50 29.2%

Outside temperature sensor issues.

133K views 271 replies 70 participants last post by  dulci2se 
#1 ·
I started up my DS over the weekend after it'd just been sitting about 5 minutes, and after about a minute of driving noticed it was getting very warm inside, despite the climate control being set at a "fresh" 18°c. I twiddled all the controls but still the vents kept pumping out hot air. Then after a couple more minutes driving I noticed that the outside temperature shown on the dash display was showing -35°c, but was going up 1° at a time. Thankfully, it only took another few minutes until it had climbed back to the "real" outside temperature of about 16° and everything settled back to normal.

Anyone else experienced the same? The full circumstances were I'd stopped in a car park, turned off the ignition but stayed in the car with the radio playing, then started the car again after about 5 mins without getting out of it in the meantime.

#204 ·
Never had it happen in my 2 years with our MY16 HSE. Its happened several times with my month old 2018 HSE.

Another "endearing" Land Rover feature.

#205 ·
Mine is booked in for the described software update next week; double checked it's available with dealer today.

I hope it works and doesn't make things worse.. (nervous)!

Will let folks know here..

#206 ·
Had my first experience of this yesterday. I was on a longish journey and made a brief first stop after about 90 miles. When I restarted I was surprised to see the ice warning alert at 3 degrees C. The outside temperature was well over 10 and it was sunny and dry. It fairly soon started to go up but I have no idea whether the readings are accurate now.

#210 ·
Had the software fix done today, so far so good.

Obviously, only time will tell if it's a cure...

#211 ·
BFGDSMan said:
Maybe you should sprinkle this over the dashboard - - apparantly its a tasty fix

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maggi Fix.jpg
We could fill the b pillar with it and put the remains in the sump to soak up some diesel too 😀😀

#212 ·
I had a call from my dealer today, I was lucky that is had this issue while they had it on another matter, so they raised a case last week. Today I have been instructed to take the car in on Friday for a number of 'control module' updates as stated by JLR for this issue. Time will tell......

#213 ·
vaise said:
I had a call from my dealer today, I was lucky that is had this issue while they had it on another matter, so they raised a case last week. Today I have been instructed to take the car in on Friday for a number of 'control module' updates as stated by JLR for this issue. Time will tell......
vaise, will you be asking them what they are proposing to update before they actually start? I ask because it seem as though they may and I stress may be looking at doing some kind of an update regarding service interval (see thread "Service interval).

Just a thought.

#214 ·
5 days in for me since the specific software update to address this issue.
No problems or low temperatures so far..

#215 ·
Chippy said:
vaise said:
vaise, will you be asking them what they are proposing to update before they actually start? I ask because it seem as though they may and I stress may be looking at doing some kind of an update regarding service interval (see thread "Service interval).

Just a thought.
Ta, I am all over the service interval thread. But I cant really pick and choose what they may or may not update so I will have to leave it up to LandRover to know what they are doing here to fix the temp thing. Re the service due message, it would not bother me if they were to mod the software so that it only alerts half the time (as in over 12% not the current 6% computer 'guestimate'), seeing as by all accounts it is reading high anyway based on the independent oil analysis's. My services would be close to 15,000 klms then, which is what other cars have and a reasonable expectation of how long a car should go between services - a bonus would be if it is still free too as still outside the 34,000 2 year 'deal' - meaning a free oil service every other year based on my driving.

#216 ·
My DS has just been in for the interim oil change, mentioned the problem about the temperature sensor. They found that the voltage in the door wiring loom was intermittent. They have ordered another wiring loom, under warranty. They did say that they had also done a software upgrade but said this was related to the internal heating. On occasions the heater hadn't come on.

#217 ·
I have another first for me. The OAT disappeared all together from the screen for a few seconds. When it came back it also reset the display in the bottom right of the instrument cluster. It came back reading -38°C when it was +24°C outside. You will also notice the bars under the display at bottom right are missing.

I usually have the dash set to display distance to empty.

When it came back...

#219 ·
You can make them missing though I think by flipping through each of the available options on the bottom right by pressing the button on the end of the stalk to rotate through each. I personally leave it as instant fuel use, as everything else is on the main screen the way i have it.

#220 ·
vaise said:
You can make them missing though I think by flipping through each of the available options on the bottom right by pressing the button on the end of the stalk to rotate through each. I personally leave it as instant fuel use, as everything else is on the main screen the way i have it.
I think you might be missing the point. Have a look at the two photos. On the top one just the bars are missing. On the bottom one they are back. The button on the end of the stalk wasn't touched.

Prior to the display disappearing the bottom right was set to distance to empty...

#221 ·
Hi all, I am new to the forum.
Sometimes have a similar problem with outside temp sensor. Parked up for a few minutes and sensor read -3 degrees when clearly its not. Another time, sensor read 4 degrees when clearly its not. Sorts itself out eventually. Has happened two or three times in the three months I have had the vehicle.

Bog standard Discovery Sport, '16 reg, Black with panoramic roof 😄

#222 ·
If this can help, a brand new technical bulletin has just been released to resolve this problem. It's LTB01119 that came out on the 24th of november and it's related to HVAC ext temperature.

Does anyone please have a Topix subscription right now so he we can all share it on this forum ?

Many thanks !

Julien

#223 ·
If this can help, a brand new technical bulletin has just been released to resolve this problem. It's LTB01119 that came out on the 24th of november and it's related to HVAC ext temperature.

Does anyone please have a Topix subscription right now so he we can all share it on this forum ?

Many thanks !

Julien

#225 ·
charisme1 said:

Many thanks !

Julien
Further back a couple of posts it's reported the fix doesn't work., then one person says it does.
Anymore updates from those that have had the fix?

#226 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.