Discovery Sport Forum banner

Security Advice

114K views 205 replies 45 participants last post by  Barnsh 
#1 ·
Thanks to Barnsh for alerting me to another spate of LR Keyless thefts http://www.hertsad.co.uk/news/spate_of_land_rover_thefts_in_radlett_1_4561910 I thought it may be good idea to post a sticky with the Police advice to help protect your pride and Joy :(

I have highlighted those which will cost you nothing and I feel are particularly important from all the forums and research I have done :cool:

Crime prevention advice

Never hand vehicle keys over to a third party or leave the vehicle unattended at a valet parking, car wash or other parking places, where criminals can gain access to the vehicle and code a key electronically.

• Consider fitting an 'OBD safe' device, a secure lockable device that fits over the vehicle's on board diagnostic port, in the vehicle cabin. This prevents criminals using software to code a key from the vehicle. Devices that are Thatcham approved can be obtained from http://www.tieronevehiclesolutions.com.

If your vehicle has a keyless entry system ensure you place the vehicle tablet key in your home address, as far away from the vehicle as possible, ideally place the key in a metal box.

• Consider fitting a dual band tracking device that works on VHF/UHF and GPS, to ensure that one tracking system is still functioning if criminals use GPS blocking techniques to avoid detection. Devices approved by Thatcham and Secured by Design help to combat this type of vehicle theft, as vehicles equipped with a tracking device are often promptly recovered.

Criminals can also employ remote/keyless entry jamming equipment so make sure your car is locked by trying the door before leaving it.

Ensure that 'home' on your vehicle's sat nav is shown as the post code of your local police station and not your actual home address.

If advertising your vehicle for sale online, ensure that the registration number is not displayed when photographed to avoid cloning of its identity

#27 ·
I think if somebody's going to break into your house to steal car keys then let them !
I for one don't want some thug prowling round the house looking for keys and then possibly inflicting danger on my family, if they want the car then take it !
I don't mean that in a roll over kind of way, I do have 7 CCTV cameras on the front of my house alone (I'm in the trade lol) and a dog and 5 adults in the house but I wouldn't want any harm to come to them for a piece of metal !

A friend of mine was broken in to and an RS3 and RS4 stolen, they knew nothing about it till the police were hammering the door down at 3 in the morning as these "lads" had been caught racing the cars round Bradford
They had drugged the 3 big dogs that they have scaled 6ft fences and deactived the securty gates !

Keen but stupid

#30 ·
townandcountry said:
depicus said:
If it's worth money people will always find a way to steal it.
Yes, agree 100%. If they really want it they're going to take it, but all I want to do is make sure it's hard enough that the chancers will give up and move on.
I read somewhere that a crunchy drive was the number one security feature that thieves did not like as it was very awkward to negate. Nosey neighbours was, I think, second :lol:

#31 ·
I had a trailer stolen while the dog slept soundly some years ago!

I also know a Golf Gti owner who woke up one morning and thought it was cold - he then realised the patio door was gone and so was his car - he never heard a thing

Agree I'd rather claim on insurance than spend time in hospital or worse for a vehicle

As the price of nice cars rises and security measures get better stealing the keys appears to be more common - although LR appear to have solved this problem and the keys unnecessary ;)

I'm unlikely to ever own anything as valuable as an Aston Martin or Ferrari so touch wood will remain under the radar

#32 ·
From first page on this thread. I've been using one of these for around six months and have recently realised that it no longer works. I can't find any holes, breaks or worn out material so don't understand why this is. If others have these it may be a good idea to do a test.

View attachment 1451

Attachments

#33 ·
Unclemort54 said:
From first page on this thread. I've been using one of these for around six months and have recently realised that it no longer works. I can't find any holes, breaks or worn out material so don't understand why this is. If others have these it may be a good idea to do a test.

image.jpeg
I just got myself a set of those, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on their effectiveness over time :?

#34 ·
DanW said:
Unclemort54 said:

image.jpeg
I just got myself a set of those, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on their effectiveness over time :?
Yes I saw reports of some failing , it was a case of them either getting wet, folding or the closure part not closing properly. I guess with all things it's dependant on initial manufacturing quality.
One guy thought his fob case wasn't working, then realised his wife had the spare key in her bag.

#35 ·
Reading all this thread while waiting my DS.. I'm thinking about setting up the exact same thing as townandcountry describe... anyone had any luck with finding this kind of wall-mounted shielded key box?

#36 ·
Just a couple of weeks ago thieves smashed their way in to a house about a mile away from me , 5.45am stole a Tiguan (via the keys) and also took the keys to a Volvo which was present but not stolen .
1pm later same day thieves returned and took Volvo waving to elderly owner as they drove away , later on an off duty pc saw 2 vehicles as described above driving around together just a couple of miles away from the theft .
He knew there had been a theft of 2 cars earlier that day and put the call in , the Tiguan was found parked up on false plates , no sign of the outstanding Volvo yet I believe .
1 male was arrested .

#37 ·
Disklock

Big clumpy cumbersome thing but is a deterrent, just don't keep the keys for it with car keys.

Due to increased car security it's a sad sign of our times.
There are hundreds of reports of breaking into houses for keys it's a sad sign of the times where CCTV and anti-snap euro cylinder locks, alarms are now becoming the norm .

A tracker or gap for the car gives you peace of mind too.

#40 ·
Past master said:
So what happens when you lose your key while out?
Phone the other half, or if sensible go get the spare from a friend :lol:

#41 ·
We are all (hopefully) aware of the rising incidence of bad guys stealing keyless entry vehicles - ours seem pretty high up the target list. It seems all to easy to hack the transponder and then plug into the OBD port to take over the vehicle.

Low-tech solutions can help. In addition to a steering wheel lock I also make the OBD port inaccessible. I've just fitted this little device in less than 10 minutes (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBD-Port-Lock-High-Security-Easy-Fit-Ford-/253025408752?hash=item3ae97d56f0:g:1OwAAOSw-K9ZMa9A).

At £19.99 it's a steal (pun intended) compared to the cost of some of the OEM devices I've seen advertised (not for the DS).

While a determined bad guy will always be able to circumvent it it will take time & tools and cause a lot of noise. He's more likely to leave your pride and joy alone and target easier pickings. The provided window sticker also helps.

I intend to remove it when it goes for a dealer service and then replace - it's so quick. Just be sure to use a couple of zip ties to secure the device to take any weight off the OBD harness.

Steve

Attachments

#43 ·
I read at the weekend that for around £250 there is kit that will amplify and hack into the signal over 50 meters away! So a bad guy could hack your transponder from outside your house. Some suggest keeping the transponder in the fridge to reduce this risk. Must say I've not got to that one yet.

#44 ·
Just get a fob guard pouch that blocks the signal , there is a huge long thread on this in security.

#46 ·
Zedman said:
Cheers for that. How close does someone have to be to hack the transponder?
The range can be extended by the relay devices to many feet .
Keep your keys in one of these at night time , it's a better option than the fridge !
https://www.fobguard.com

#48 ·
Barnsh said:
If you are worried about your port you can't beat one of these
https://www.sailesmarketing.com/shop/obdsaver/obdsaver-vehicle-security-for-jaguar-landrover/

Unlike yours it can't be removed easily .
Unlike mine it's £189!
Mine can't be removed easily unless the bad guy also has a set of sockets and spanners as well as his laptop. As others in the security thread have said if someone wants your goods badly enough nothing will stop them. This device together with the hi viz steering wheel lock will hopefully make them walk on from mine to easier pickings.

#49 ·
Barnsh said:
Zedman said:
Cheers for that. How close does someone have to be to hack the transponder?
The range can be extended by the relay devices to many feet .
Keep your keys in one of these at night time , it's a better option than the fridge !
https://www.fobguard.com
Thanks for this - just bought one

#51 ·
depicus said:
townandcountry said:
depicus said:
If it's worth money people will always find a way to steal it.
Yes, agree 100%. If they really want it they're going to take it, but all I want to do is make sure it's hard enough that the chancers will give up and move on.
I read somewhere that a crunchy drive was the number one security feature that thieves did not like as it was very awkward to negate. Nosey neighbours was, I think, second :lol:
Crunch drive, 2 large and very loud dogs and alarm system - I have all 3. The dogs sleep just behind the front door. If the bad guys want to step over 56Kg of German Shepherd then good luck to them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.