Service Plan

All Discovery Sport related discussions
sceptre123

Service Plan

Post by sceptre123 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:23 pm

The service plan appears to have changed price...

LAND ROVER APPROVED DISCOVERY SPORT SERVICE PLAN

For a one-off payment of £625, our diesel service plan covers the next five years or 50,000 miles*. You can also cover 75,000 miles* for £775 on the High Mileage Plan. The Land Rover Approved Service Plan covers all your scheduled Discovery Sport servicing costs including DEF/AdBlue® top-ups for the duration of the plan**. On Petrol engines, for a one-off payment of £625 Land Rover Approved Service Plans cover five years or 50,000 miles*.

Available to purchase within 90 days of the registration date, Land Rover Approved Service Plans also cover you for any repairs or replacements needed to pass your vehicle’s 3rd, 4th and 5th year MOT tests^, up to the value of £750.

The notes state:

*Wear and tear items are not included with a Land Rover Approved Service Plan. The plan will cover scheduled services for five years or 50,000/75,000 miles (whichever comes first) depending on the plan selected. Diesel variants include servicing at every 21,000 miles or two years (whichever comes first) for five years. Petrol variant include servicing at every 10,000 miles or one year (whichever comes first) for five years.
**Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)/AdBlue® top ups are included until expiration of the plan, available for diesel engines only.

^MOT protection is subject to terms and conditions.

Please consult your nearest retailer for full terms and conditions. Failure to use Land Rover specified parts or fluids (or parts or fluids of equivalent quality) or failure to have your vehicle serviced in accordance with the maintenance schedule can invalidate warranty coverage on the affected parts. The Land Rover Approved Service Plan administrator is EMaC Ltd, EMaC House, Southmere Court, Crewe Business Park, Crewe, CW1 6GU.

This seems to confirm that service intervals remain at 21k miles... have they put the price up for inevitable interim service?

Past master

Re: Service Plan

Post by Past master » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:04 pm

There is no mention of interim service. Which is not "scheduled". May be it's to cover the cost of litigation...?
MY16 SETech 180 diesel Santorini Black
Now replaced with MY19 D180 Evoque S (new shape)

simon

Post by simon » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:36 pm

Petrol every 10K miles !

So five services covered on the petrol. Only 2 on diesel.
There are far better forums to be welcomed at than this one that locks threads because certain members can’t take a bit of criticism :roll:

VeryDiscoSport

Service Interval & Service Plan Issues

Post by VeryDiscoSport » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:29 pm

sceptre123 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:23 pm
*Wear and tear items are not included with a Land Rover Approved Service Plan. The plan will cover scheduled services for five years or 50,000/75,000 miles (whichever comes first) depending on the plan selected. Diesel variants include servicing at every 21,000 miles or two years (whichever comes first) for five years. Petrol variant include servicing at every 10,000 miles or one year (whichever comes first) for five years.
**Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)/AdBlue® top ups are included until expiration of the plan, available for diesel engines only.

This seems to confirm that service intervals remain at 21k miles... have they put the price up for inevitable interim service?

If this is what recent/future owners (warranty starting after 1st June 2017) are now being offered, anyone in this group who goes for the service plan will get a very nasty surprise when the car demands the inevitable diesel dilution service at 8-10K miles. The main issue is that currently there is no menu price for the interim oil service because... er, well, because they didn't see any need for one - same reason OSH can't keep track of them. Some dealers won't even discuss giving a price for oil change only (e.g. Guy Salmon of Ascot, 0/10 for customer service, pricing and honesty guys), while some have already anticipated the problem and produced their own price to cover the oil, the filter, the sump plug gasket and their labour. If you have a warranty starting after 1st June 2017, Team Valley comes recommended and they will charge £180 which is a fair price for the LR Stamp on your invoice. But across the rest of the country it really depends on where you live as to how much the "non-warranty" oil services will cost. If you live in Ascot or Sunningdale, this could cost you over £3,000 during 5 years of ownership. Ouch!

You really have to hope that some bright spark at JLR CRC is reading this and decides to start joining in fairly soon with a few positive contributions while there are any new customers left. It's unconscionably poor customer relations to sell someone a "Service Plan" and 8,000 miles later tell them, "Oh, you should have read the small print, you've only bought services for 21,000 miles and 42,000 miles. What's happened here is that you have been driving the car all wrong, so you've made it dilute the engine oil with diesel. Because of your bad driving habits, this work will have to be at your own expense. Sorry about that. Would you like us to top up your pig wee for free while you are here?"

:roll:
2017 DS L-550 2.0 SE Tech 150 6 SPD (Rejected per CRA 2015) :(
2008 RAV4 XA30 2.2D XTR 4WD :)

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:12 am

"You really have to hope some bright spark at JLR CRC is reading this ...,"

Sorry to say VDS even if they did, and even if you post to their own thread as a new topic,
I suspect it will get the same lack of honesty that my b pillar thread did. It was like pulling hens teeth"
Read through if you want to see the arrogance of their stance.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4485
My18 FPace, 25t, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Woolmeister

Post by Woolmeister » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:37 pm

So, my DS has just informed me it requires servicing in 600 miles with 15,400 on the clock and 10 months old and I've just booked it into Lancaster Land Rover in Reading for the service (amongst other things). This means it needs servicing at 16,000 miles, rather than the 21,000 miles I was expecting. :roll:

I haven't read the small print for the Service Plan because it was sold to me as "you will not need to pay for a standard service in the first 5 years of ownership". Are they going to charge me for this service? Because, if they are, there will desk flippage of the highest order. :evil:

Is this because of the diesel dilution problem mentioned in this thread?

Steve
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 TDI 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey
Opening Panoramic Roof, Virtual Cockpit, Canton Sound, Adaptive Cruise Control, Adaptive LED Headlamps, Heated Steering Wheel, Reverse Camera, Side Steps

GONE - 17MY HSE Auto 180 - JUNK

VeryDiscoSport

Post by VeryDiscoSport » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:01 pm

Woolmeister wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:37 pm
So, my DS has just informed me it requires servicing in 600 miles with 15,400 on the clock and 10 months old and I've just booked it into Lancaster Land Rover in Reading for the service (amongst other things). This means it needs servicing at 16,000 miles, rather than the 21,000 miles I was expecting. :roll:

I haven't read the small print for the Service Plan because it was sold to me as "you will not need to pay for a standard service in the first 5 years of ownership". Are they going to charge me for this service? Because, if they are, there will desk flippage of the highest order. :evil:

Is this because of the diesel dilution problem mentioned in this thread?

Steve

Hi Steve
The Service Required message is driven by the first one of these parameters:
i) Date - 24 months since last service (or since new);
ii) Mileage - 21,000 miles since last service (or since new); or,
iii) When diesel dilution in the oil hits an estimated 6.1% mass.

Click on the link to JLRP00100 and check the flow chart for first occurrence of early service message with mileage between 75% and 90% of 21,000 miles. Unless the dealer decides to give you a free oil change out of their own pocket, they will suggest that you bring forward the first of the two services that you have paid for under the service plan. If I were you I would ask for 200 ml of the oil that is drained out and have it analysed for evidence of engine wear.

Woolmeister

Post by Woolmeister » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:52 pm

This is all very interesting VDS. It makes me despise the car and, lately, Land Rover even more and I'm sure the diesel dilution problem is going to become a massive problem for them in years to come as soon as engines bearings start failing.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post, VDS. I've downloaded the PDF and working my way through it. Fascinating reading, and your post to LRCS is equally fascinating and look forward to their reply on this matter.

Regardless of the wear resistance of modern synthetic oils, I still can't help but feel that running the same engine oil through your engine for 21,000 miles (or two years) can't do the crankcase and ancillary components any good at all. My understanding is that it's the toxic gases that accumulate in the crankcase that cause the most corrosive damage to an engine anyway.

I used to change the oil and filter on my old TDV6 Discovery 3 every 5,000 miles. Probably cost me > £50 a pop - and a couple of hours on a Saturday morning - but I felt it was worth it for my own peace of mind. Some lucky bugger is now driving around in my old, immaculately serviced, D3 which I would take back in a heartbeat.

Steve
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 TDI 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey
Opening Panoramic Roof, Virtual Cockpit, Canton Sound, Adaptive Cruise Control, Adaptive LED Headlamps, Heated Steering Wheel, Reverse Camera, Side Steps

GONE - 17MY HSE Auto 180 - JUNK

VeryDiscoSport

Post by VeryDiscoSport » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:59 am

Woolmeister wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:52 pm
Regardless of the wear resistance of modern synthetic oils, I still can't help but feel that running the same engine oil through your engine for 21,000 miles (or two years) can't do the crankcase and ancillary components any good at all. My understanding is that it's the toxic gases that accumulate in the crankcase that cause the most corrosive damage to an engine anyway.

I don't know if you saw the sticky with the first of the engine oil analysis results, but if you haven't I've re-posted the link below. Have a particular look at the Iron trends in the 3 cars sampled so far. Mine increased by 25% in 620 miles to reach almost 200 ppm on a total mileage of 5677. Another had reached over 300 ppm at 64% of the mileage to the standard service interval - the dilution in that engine was a meagre 2.5%. A third had risen from zero to 64 ppm in just 1200 miles. That's a lot of Iron, however you look at it and many times the recommended level for a healthy engine. I'm constantly appealing for more people to have their oil analysed to grow the bank of data (it can cost as little as £20 per sample) because I don't think we've even scratched the surface yet regarding the extent of the effects of dilution. Until we see an engine that isn't shedding Iron I see no reason to change this view.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6132

Q86ARR

Post by Q86ARR » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:38 am

Service Plans purchased from 1st August will cover 4 interim oil changes. These can be taken at any time throughout the service plan

The old 2.0 Ford petrol engine had 10,000 mike service intervals, the new Ingenium petrol has 16,000 mile \ 12 months intervals

@VDS
I don’t see why dealers can not offer you a oil and filter change price. The book labour time for it is 0.6 hours and then just add the filter, bung and oil. If the retailer has their menu pricing set up correctly they can quote you direct from that!