UPDATE ON B PILLAR RATTLE

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
TeoFabi

Re: UPDATE ON B PILLAR RATTLE

Post by TeoFabi » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:08 am

I rec'd my Discovery back at Christmas after 2 weeks of repairs and it seemed to have worked.............at least it did in cold temperatures. That's until our temperatures warmed up into the 60's in late Feb. then I noticed that the rattle has returned. I'm going to wait until springs consistent warmer temps to see if the rattle is really back but I'm certain that it is. Has anyone else noticed that the repair didn't work once the air temps increased following winter?

HSE_LUX

Post by HSE_LUX » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:00 pm

TeoFabi wrote:I rec'd my Discovery back at Christmas after 2 weeks of repairs and it seemed to have worked.............at least it did in cold temperatures. That's until our temperatures warmed up into the 60's in late Feb. then I noticed that the rattle has returned. I'm going to wait until springs consistent warmer temps to see if the rattle is really back but I'm certain that it is. Has anyone else noticed that the repair didn't work once the air temps increased following winter?
The multiple attempts at repairing the problem on ours haven't worked either. The sound gets significantly worse with changes in temperature. It seems to be fixed each time we get it back from the shop but then we will get a spike in temperature it comes back with a vengeance .
Built 03/15, HSE LUX, 2.0L 240hp Petrol, Kaikoura Stone, Ebony Windsor Leather, Vision Assist, Climate Comfort, Driver Assist Plus w/Surround Cameras, Contrast Black Pack w/20", InControl Apps w/ Remote & Protect, 5 Seat, & Towing Package.

geckh

Post by geckh » Sun May 15, 2016 3:07 pm

Hi everyone,

Got my ds about 5 months ago which at the time was fault free but has since developed a rattle on both pillars.
Im not sure if it is the same cause as all the others but i think it is coming from the rear passenger doors that meets touches the top of the b pillar.
If i knocked on the top gront corner of the rear passenger door when its opened, there is a vibrating ticking noise. Does this happen to yours if you have a rattle from the b pillar?

Other faults are squeaky tail gate (been to the dealers twice to no avail) and squeaks from left rear passenger seat. :(

Booked to see the dealer for the third time next month. Fingers crossed. Also how does one go about asking for a refund. Are all these faults reason enough?

HSE_LUX

Post by HSE_LUX » Sun May 15, 2016 7:47 pm

geckh wrote:Hi everyone,

Got my ds about 5 months ago which at the time was fault free but has since developed a rattle on both pillars.
Im not sure if it is the same cause as all the others but i think it is coming from the rear passenger doors that meets touches the top of the b pillar.
If i knocked on the top gront corner of the rear passenger door when its opened, there is a vibrating ticking noise. Does this happen to yours if you have a rattle from the b pillar?

Other faults are squeaky tail gate (been to the dealers twice to no avail) and squeaks from left rear passenger seat. :(

Booked to see the dealer for the third time next month. Fingers crossed. Also how does one go about asking for a refund. Are all these faults reason enough?
After almost a year of being in and out of the shop for repairs for weeks at a time, we could not deal with anymore lost time and effort. We really loved our DS and that’s one of the reasons we put up with all the issues for so long but unfortunately we just happen to get one of the first problematic ones. Land Rover North America handled our buyback very well and we were satisfied with the outcome although it took a little longer to resolve than we had hoped.
We provided Land Rover with video’s, photos and audio recordings of the problems along with the outside ambient temperatures at the time when the creak/tick/rattle sounds proceeded to reappear after the repairs. The overly annoying pillar noises were not the only issue with ours. We were also consistently having random errors and black screens with our infotainment/computer/nav system and the last 3months of ownership we were driving with the check engine light on because Land Rover didn’t have a software fix for the oxygen sensor/computer/engine problem we were experiencing. We believe part of the O2 error was due to using California’s premium unleaded petrol which contains an ethanol blend and taking our DS on long trips from high altitude back down to sea level in a short amount of time, but we could be wrong.

On your question with the doors and back hatch on ours, the tick/rattle noise was not coming from those areas. When the tick noise started happening on ours, if you grabbed the handle just above the door frame between the A & B pillars and pulled down with most of your weight the tick/rattle noise would lessen or go away until you let the pressure off.
I know this might sound strange but with your squeaky back hatch, check to see if the plastic edges of your tail lights are coming in contact with the hatch when it is shut. If you don’t have enough of a gap a slightly misaligned tail light assembly can come in contact with the hatch and make one heck of an annoying noise. Just lightly push on the rear hatch and tail lights to see if you can reproduce the squeak.

Hope this helped.
Built 03/15, HSE LUX, 2.0L 240hp Petrol, Kaikoura Stone, Ebony Windsor Leather, Vision Assist, Climate Comfort, Driver Assist Plus w/Surround Cameras, Contrast Black Pack w/20", InControl Apps w/ Remote & Protect, 5 Seat, & Towing Package.

dshseus

Post by dshseus » Sun May 15, 2016 9:04 pm

HSE_LUX wrote: After almost a year of being in and out of the shop for repairs for weeks at a time, we could not deal with anymore lost time and effort. We really loved our DS and that’s one of the reasons we put up with all the issues for so long but unfortunately we just happen to get one of the first problematic ones. Land Rover North America handled our buyback very well and we were satisfied with the outcome although it took a little longer to resolve than we had hoped.
+1

Leoniums

Post by Leoniums » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:08 pm

Hello
i got a DS with vin 565006.
I also have a lot of rattles and i have start to figure out which comes from where.
The worst rattke was coming from the left side of the tailgate on that trim above the licance plate and next to the tail light.
Inside the tailgate on bottom corners there are 2 hard rubbbers which can screw or unscrew in order to alighn the tailgate close or something.
I have played a little bit with both of them and the rattle is almost gone. But further fixes are needed.
I will try get my wife on rear seats and check for other rattles driving.
Do you believe that they have fixed this issues on vins 550001 and after or???
I am really worrying about the safe since i know what spot weld is and qhat can be done if there are wrong spot welds on the car.....
I read about B Pillar and where the noise comes from... have to check for that also..
Where are the rear seats noises comes from? Can someones tell me?
Thanks
DS SE 180HP Auto MY16
Santorini Black
Panorama
Privacy Glass
Cold Climate Pack
Trailer coupling package
Xenon, Fog Lights
Lane Keep Assist, Blind Spot, Traffic Sign
<<<Forgive my poor English>>>

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:14 pm

Leoniums wrote:Hello
i got a DS with vin 565006.
I also have a lot of rattles and i have start to figure out which comes from where.
The worst rattke was coming from the left side of the tailgate on that trim above the licance plate and next to the tail light.
Inside the tailgate on bottom corners there are 2 hard rubbbers which can screw or unscrew in order to alighn the tailgate close or something.
I have played a little bit with both of them and the rattle is almost gone. But further fixes are needed.
I will try get my wife on rear seats and check for other rattles driving.
Do you believe that they have fixed this issues on vins 550001 and after or???
I am really worrying about the safe since i know what spot weld is and qhat can be done if there are wrong spot welds on the car.....
I read about B Pillar and where the noise comes from... have to check for that also..
Where are the rear seats noises comes from? Can someones tell me?
Thanks
Rear seat rattles and boot rattles are on topix , your best to work your way through your rattles with your dealer. Remember it can be deceiving where the noise is coming from so try getting them isolated and get the dealer to sort .
Also try searching the forum for seat rattles and boot rattles.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Letton One

Post by Letton One » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:08 pm

Had a rattle nearside rear that caused me to investigate.......was it the dreaded B post rattle I wondered?
Removed hatch cover over rear compt fusebox to discover black plastic protector for third row seat belt was not clipped correctly to body. fixed and rattle disappeared......................

2015 2.2 litre DS HSE, 6000 miles

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:21 pm

Letton One wrote:Had a rattle nearside rear that caused me to investigate.......was it the dreaded B post rattle I wondered?
Removed hatch cover over rear compt fusebox to discover black plastic protector for third row seat belt was not clipped correctly to body. fixed and rattle disappeared......................

2015 2.2 litre DS HSE, 6000 miles
Lucky you
The b pillar tick is often confused, but if you ever get it you'll know straight away .right next to your ear.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Andyd

: UPDATE ON B PILLAR RATTLE

Post by Andyd » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:23 am

Mine is back at the dealer for them to have another go at fixing the B pillar rattle. Explained that it may have to go to body shop for them to fix. Having read this thread I now know why. Is it worth speaking to LR Customer Services the car is just coming up to 2 years old.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Cheers

Andy
Disco 2 ES Premium - gone
Disco 3 Metropolis - recently gone
Series 2 Station Wagon
Disco Sport HSE Lux - from Stafford Land Rover
Latest addition Range Rover Evoque from Stafford Land Rover

Return to “Faults & Technical”