Discovery Sport Forum banner

New P300e Hybrid ordered

7K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  dakurt 
#1 ·
Ordered the hybrid between Christmas and New Year. Delivery due late March.

Test drove the I-pace as really wanted to go full EV and the performance blew me away. Not been in anything like that since my youth when I had a string of perfomance hatches and cars including a very tricked up Impreza WRX.

I run my own company and the new BIK rules mean I can now get my business to pay for the car without being double whammied by BIK. 0% - 3% over the next 3 years for EV will see a masive uptick in sales of these cars, but still too compromised for my driving right now.

Hybrid is my stepping stone on a 3 year business lease. My office is a 10 mile round trip so most driving will be EV only but then dashes to the Lakes / Scotland or picking the son up from Uni in Oxford mean I don't have to plan my charging points with military presicion. 10% BIK is workable on the numbers - helps I'm an Accountant :)

I've had over 40 cars and motorbikes over the last 25 years. won't list them all but highlights include 3 Defenders, a proper one (TDi300), the best one (Black 110 TDi XS) and the last new one (90 XS transit engine). Disco 3 (lovely), Impreza Turbo, Impreza WRX STi, Clio Wlliams, Pug 205 GTi, VW Golf GTi MK 4 and 5, VW Passat R-Line, Triumph Daytona 955i motorcycle, kawasaki ZX 636 so I class myself as a petrol head not some EV fanatic but it's the future innit? :)

I'll be plugging it in to a Rolec 7kw tethered home charging point every night as while day to day fuel costs don't bother me so much, the thought of driving in silence and not polluting my town and local countryside is starting to outweigh my need for speed. Must be an age thing. And I know they pollute as much as leccy is powered by fossil fuels on many days but here in Northumberland that mix is increasingly becoming wind led. Anyway let's see when the three years is up will EV be up to 450 miles (my cut-off) on a single charge and will we have many more cars and charging points available, yes I'm sure we will. At that point hopefully a new Defender fully EV will be ordered. One can dream!

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks jonnyvtec

Presume you are a Honda fan? Honda NSX is still on my bucket list.

#4 ·
Good choice RedFive :)
Similar to the spec I've ordered - but I've gone Byron Blue without the black roof and standard rear seats...
We have a Rolec untethered 7KW home charger and it works great with the other half's A250e PHEV. Her typical commute range is between 5-8 miles each way plus a 60mile round trip once a week and so far with 2000 miles covered, she's managed 80% on pure electric ! so I hope we can do similar for the environment... We've filled the petrol tank only twice since September... My monthly electric DD is up about £25/month so still saving v pure ICE petrol costs...
Interesting how covid has forced many people to re-evaluate their lifestyles and make conscious environmentally beneficial decisions - diesel-gate helped accelerate my decision - so like you, I'm looking forward to doing my bit to contribute..
Finally, re fuel cost comment, when I last switched energy supplier, I chose Shell Energy at the time as they guaranteed a 100% green energy supply tariff and the charges were extremely competitive when I moved across...

#5 ·
I placed my order in May when that was first possible. I was supposed to get the car in October but that didn't happen for several reasons, as you know.
Today I heard my car will arrive in Finland Feb-05 and can be delivered one or two weeks later.
The Finnish winter is not the optimal time to drive your PHEV but I can take it as an ultimate use test. 🙂

Some specs: (NO R-Dynamic) Namib Orange, Black Pack, black roof, smallest wheels available.

I don't like it how my current Firenze Red / black roof has now joined the vast army of red / black roof SUVs so I opted for the Namib Orange to stand out of the crowd. But now orange/black seems to be used with every new car model release.

#6 ·
I also have my P300e on order! Local dealer already had something pretty close to my ideal spec on order so (hopefully) will be with me by early March (scheduled for the 5th as things stand).

Had looked at going full BEV but, despite a relatively short commute (back in the days when I commuted!), I was worried about charging infrastructure for some of our longer family trips. When a friend who works in Formula E then gave me a heads up on what is happening around battery development I decided to hedge my bets on the PHEV for the next three years.

Now trying to wade my way through the home charging point swamp. Seen Rolec mentioned a couple of times. Having discounted "Chargemaster" option I am currently looking at PodPoint and the EO Mini Pro 2. Anything else I should be looking at?

Anyway, hoping delivery stays on track (since my birthday is on the weekend after it is due to arrive!). Is there a specific PHEV forum on here?

#8 ·
In his opinion (which is more informed than mine) mass EV adoption is based around three things - battery cost, charge levels and speed of charging. Everything at the moment is a compromise across those three things but really is about the effect on cost.

The work that the manufacturers are doing (and testing parts of through their EV racing teams) is two fold - premium cars where they can hold the cost but increase capacity and 'mass market' at a lower cost but that can recharge faster. The premium end would, of course, also benefit from the fast charge technologies.

His call is that, within three years, the EV differential in the premium market will be much smaller, the range will be pretty much equivalent to petrol ICE ranges and almost every lamppost will be a charger. Build in the energy recapture advances they are working on as well and full EV will start to become the sensible choice around 2023/2024. As most of the 'final' conversion away from ICE will be in the late 2020's, so resale values from 2025 onward will be pretty good as long as they are on, what should be by then, a 'stable' battery platform that has a good runway in front of it (and doesn't get usurped by hydrogen!).

While I used to do lots of miles I am now (in the 'normal' world) doing short commutes, airport runs or ferrying around my boys to football matches. Chances are that 80% of my journeys could be full EV but the PHEV (and the size of the DS for football kit) just seemed more sensible to me than the i-Pace as we stand. Kind of hoping there is a DS (or Disco) BEV around by the time my PCP ends in Spring 2024.

#9 ·
Dashnine said:
FabzSnr said:
When a friend who works in Formula E then gave me a heads up on what is happening around battery development
Do tell...
Tesla tabless batteries... they are certainly a huge improvement when they come out.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/technology/a34124027/heres-what-teslas-tabless-battery-promises/

I actually hope they make cars with smaller batteries and less range to make them cheaper. This issue of range anxiety should hopefully pass (like it did with battery life of mobiles).
The other change people need to make is that charging your car should be your secondary task i.e. you go to the shops and charge while you are there. As opposed to the current (pun intended!) primary task of going to a petrol station to fill your tank.

#10 ·
Quite agree but the challenge is that making it a secondary task (at scale) requires infrastructure (pop ups in the car park?) which the manufacturers can't control. In order to get the right economies of scale the manufacturers need to start shifting units. Range anxiety works against that so they have to focus on (expensive) batteries (that they can control) until the infrastructure catches up.

It is actually analogous to mobile phones. The first thing they did was change the battery technology so they could run hungrier apps. Now you can recharge on a plane or via an external battery pack.

#11 ·
Just took delivery of my P300E on 19/11/2021 after ordering in November.

Very pleased, love the Pivi Pro, great upgrade on my previous 2018 Jaguar E Pace Touch Pro system.

Had horrendous problems with my Pod Point Charger and couldn't get a charge in until today (eventually sorted out by Pod Pod support after a great deal of perseverance).

All good now and just completed the first EV mode journey to go and fill the petrol tank. Got 22 miles and it shows 16% charge remaining (4 miles apparently). This charge cost £2.08 at 14.5p per KWH

It is now sitting plugged in waiting for it's first Octopus Go 5p per unit overnight charge.

#13 ·
It is a surprise that the delays keep going on.
I placed my order in May 2020 and the estimated delivery was in Oct 2020.
My car arrived in Finland a week ago and I will collect it on Tuesday 23-Feb.
And the wheels I opted for the winter tyres haven't arrived yet.
Last year the delay was supposed to be because of factory closure due to covid and the delay in achieving (and eventually not achieving) the estimated WLTP figures.

#14 ·
As mentioned in the thread on replacement steering racks, the delay is I'm afraid down to your beloved EU, who are deliberately holding up both imports and exports. Perhaps Ms Von der Lyen could explain to her subjects the real reason for this unnecessary hold up?

Meanwhile, in central stock currently sits 207 HSE R-Dynamic P300E, and 72 of the same in SE Specification. (Total, both LH and RH drive)

There is no way that Halewood are scheduling production into July; they plan quarterly. I suggest that you have a frank exchange of views with your respective retailers. Unless you have ordered a vehicle with just about every option box ticked, there is more than likely one sitting in stock in the UK that will probably fill your requirements.

#15 ·
Thank you for the quick response. I have no options selected, although defaults seem to vary from country to country.

For example HSE does not come with a Glas roof and heated seats in Germany. If I have researched correctly that is included in the UK.

Are you absolutely sure, that production dates for Q3 are not planned by JLR, meaning my dealer is lying?

Thank you

#16 ·
Absolutely sure.

Production planning is primarily based on anticipated forecast vs order bank actual vs floated stocks.

Irrespective of what it is that you manufacture, you cannot possibly plan for actual build that far ahead - forecast yes, but component ordering based on forecast alone is the fastest way to go bankrupt.

Go and speak to your retailer again.

#17 ·
dakurt said:
Thank you for the quick response. I have no options selected, although defaults seem to vary from country to country.

For example HSE does not come with a Glas roof and heated seats in Germany. If I have researched correctly that is included in the UK.

Are you absolutely sure, that production dates for Q3 are not planned by JLR, meaning my dealer is lying?

Thank you
Has your dealer mentioned anything else he can let you have right away, no lead time, etc.? Usually when dealers talk of delivery issues, long lead times, etc. they have stock they want to sell before they order anything else (and before they have to pay for it).

#19 ·
Hi,

I have just had a call with my dealer.
The newest update is that the estimated build dates (for hybrid models) allegedly have been deleted from the JLR system.
I do not have any estimate now, 4 months after the official order.

The dealer told me that they have been informed about this via mail from JLR, and are awaiting further information.
He was intransparent on the reason, say the are restructuring something...

Has anybody heard anything of that kind?
Does anybody, especially in Germany, have a delivery date in the next couple of months for a PHEV vehicle?

Thank you

#20 ·
Sorry to hear that. I ordered at end of December and had email this week to say it has been built and will be delivered week of 27th March.

I'm UK so sorry if that doesn;t help, you being in Germany.

#21 ·
Hi all,

My order had been pushed back from June to July.
I have read on the evoques forum, that slotted orders have been canceled.
I was not able to reach my dealer last week. Has anybody heard when Halewood will pick up production again? Has anybody else similar delivery dates and more information?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.