Discovery Sport Forum banner

"Low Battery, Please Start Engine" message....

204K views 157 replies 61 participants last post by  Smarty 
G
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
When my 2017 Sport HSE has been standing for two or three days without use, I can open the driver's door, or the powered tailgate, then a message flashes up on the display telling me the battery is low and to start the engine. This message is accompanied by a bleep. If I have opened the tailgate it will not close automatically when I press the button - until I start the engine.

The car is going to the dealers for it to be looked into but I wondered if anyone else had experienced this problem.

#28 ·
"Nice" to know I'm not alone with this problem.

Started last Thursday 12 days after the end of three year warranty. Took it for a one hour journry as recommended in the handbook but the problem was the same the following morning.
Dealership in Northampton was duly called and said they were not taking bookings till April as they were very busy but I could bring it down to them and they might have time to look it which I did. They have now got a new battery but they have not yet found time to fit it.

The level of service is really appaling and having today found this chat room I am seriously unhappy. It sounds like a "known fault" but nobody at the dealers mentioned that to me. Will a new battery fix it? I have my doubts on that one!

This is the fourth Landrover I have bought from this dealership but I am begining to think my love affair with Landrover is over.

The 15 year old Suzuki Jimny that we have for my wife to travel back and forwards to the yard where she keeps her horse has cost us nothing except the MOT charge for three yers and starts first time every time!

#29 ·
Sadly I've got to add this one to my list... :roll:
66 plate 180 SE Tech, 2.5 years old, owned from new. Journeys are fairly mixed, quite a few are 5-10 miles, but at least once a week it gets a decent run of 30 miles+. Big trips every few months, driving for four hours+.

Never had a problem with low battery on my other cars, but then I haven't had bad service warnings; coolant level; fogged rear light lenses; air-con failure x 2; bonnet not closing; rattles/ticks x 4; on my other cars either. :evil:

#30 ·
simonconway said:
The level of service is really appaling and having today found this chat room I am seriously unhappy. It sounds like a "known fault" but nobody at the dealers mentioned that to me. Will a new battery fix it? I have my doubts on that one!
A new battery fixed it on mine ... for the next 3 years maybe.

#158 ·
Hi, what exactly is the 'gateway'? Is it something that can be updated without a technician?

I have this issue on my DS, I am concerned what the price might be to resolve this by taking it to LR.

I don't know if I should buy a new battery first to see if that resolves it. I have no issues with start/stop. I find when this warning comes up, I then get a gearbox fault appear on the screen and the car won't go in to 'D'. After turning it off and leaving it a few minutes it clears and all works again.

#32 ·
I had this on Wednesday and Land Rover Assist came out and checked and showed me that the battery (20 months old) was 100% good.
He then spent a while re-setting stuff and updating software. It was good for a day! Called them again and different technician came and said that he knew a different trick that was not i the official procedures and he would try that. It seems to be ok now but for how long?
This first started when the tailgate would not go up. Does anyone know if the button in the roof stops working when the Low Battery warning is lit up?
I am getting so frustrated with this car.

#33 ·
Similar symptoms here. My tailgate works maybe 50% of the time right now. After an Easter break it will go in to LR. I was waiting to see if the MY17 recall includes mine as the TA is on the EU recall list. But now I don't want to risk it getting close to the end of warranty. Owners of premium motors shouldn't be left feeling like they can't trust their car or their manufacturer.

#35 ·
Spoke too soon - dreaded "Low Battery etc" message came up at the weekend just as I was getting ready to head off for a few days break (first time this happened in Sept last year I was also getting ready to head off on a break). I find this totally unacceptable as I get no warning to enable me to charge the battery. First 18 months ownership no problem but now happening every 3 months or so. When I call the dealer I get a lecture about using my vehicle more as this will happen in any modern car which does a low mileage - due to sophisticated electronics. Either battery is replaced by LR or anther second hand LR Disco will be on the market. I've had enough!

#36 ·
Dealer/LR statements about "your driving style", "not using it enough" are nonsense. Any car with stop/start and sophisticated 'always on' systems needs a highly robust, well designed battery and charging system. The stuff on the DS is just not up to the job, whereas lots of other 'modern cars' are fine.

#37 ·
geomacl said:
First 18 months ownership no problem but now happening every 3 months or so.
Did the 18 months coincide with the cars first service? Or should I say 15 months?

It sounds like something is slow draining the battery, which will be made worse if you don't use it much, but that is only making the symptom worse, it's unlikely to be the cause. A new battery will probably suffer the same fate 3 month later.

The problem with modern cars is that they have more ECU's than Apollo 13, and if they don't report back to Houston with an error, then no-one wants to look any deeper.... A good auto electrician is probably needed but have no experience with them. Others may know of a decent firm?

#38 ·
Thanks for feedback, Ian. First battery problem was 3 months before 1st service. The second time was just before scheduled service (3 months later) BUT after 1st service and battery check/reset, the next "failure" was only 6 weeks later!!! Only thing that I have permanently plugged in is my Ipod (for music) which I assume is not using power when ignition is off.?

#39 ·
After two more Low Battery message episodes, I took my vehicle to the dealer first thing yesterday morning and demanded the issue be resolved. After a lecture from the service mgr about low mileage vehicles requiring regular charging, he run a bunch of tests and returned bearing a sliver of paper from his battery testing gizmo saying "Good Battery". To my mind 6 x Low Battery episodes since December 2018 may still spew out a "Good Battery" message BUT it's a crap vehicle and quite unacceptable for one costing over £40k.
He even had the audacity to inform me that LR salesmen were instructed to advise low mileage, new buyers to purchase a battery charger accessory!!!! I snuck over to his salesman who told me he'd never heard of this "guidance"
I've been in contact with LR Customer Service since the last 2 episodes - and they are a waste of time. The lady who was handling my case had no technical knowledge and would always talk to the local dealer before responding to me - only to regurgitate the same lecture.
Has anyone on this site ever seen any documented "guidance" re low mileage usage in any manual, brochure or any other written document from LR?
I dropped into a number of alternative SUV suppliers on my way home and am presently studying their brochures and online reviews.

#41 ·
Thanks Discodriver. The earth cable was removed and cleaned. Only 3rd party item is an ipod touch which requires the ignition to be on before it draws power. New Gateway and Battery Management software updated. Dealer Service Mgr told me that all batteries lose power when not in use!! He said that they charge up their stock of new batteries in their stores once a month!!!!

G
#42 ·
Running a dashcam is enough to prevent the auto stop start from working in my experience , especially if most journeys are <20 miles and a fair few 'just popping to the shops' few miles. If it's diesel engined then starting takes a toll int eh battery charge. Stop/start systems should be copled with a far bigger battery than typically is fitted. Using the power tailgate, power mirrors when the engine is off also do nothing for the battery charge.

Most new aftermarket batteries come with a warranty of 12-36 months, with some, mostly calcium batteries, having 4-5 year warranty.

You could buy a USB charge plug for the 12V socket with a battery voltage readout - there are plenty available for a few euros, such as this one.. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-12V-24V-USB-Charger-Digital-LED-Voltage-Battery-Monitor-Voltmeter-For-i-L8U8/113642618493?epid=709093503&hash=item1a75a0be7d:g:Y-UAAOSwB8tbftIf&frcectupt=true

#44 ·
Just popped in to have a last look before saying adios, I've had enough of the myriad of problems with my bag of bolts that was the Disco Sport and have got rid of it, awaiting delivery of a new Volvo XC60 in a copule of weeks.

This post caught my eye as I too have had the 'Low battery Warning' fault, along with oil dilution (3 oil changes in 15000 miles) software freezes, water leakage into loadspace from the tailgate, rusty rear discs changed under warranty and the engine balance shaft changed under warranty. My 6th and last ever Land Rover.

#46 ·
Update
Had "Low battery..." warning again, and as Land Rover Assistance have told me any red message and they have to be called they came out for the third time. It was an ordinary AA man who could only test the battery and as always, said it was 100% ok. He could not do any further tests and said to book it in to the dealer.
In the meantime the message cleared after three days, and the dealer had it for a day and could find nothing wrong. What they did find was that the "DPF needs regenerating" message was not appearing so they took it for a nineteen mile run to do this. I was surprised by this as probably 90% of my miles are motorway.
On the subject of messages, although not LR, a friends tractor that cost nearly two DSs had a warning loud beeping and a message "Danger! Stop engine immediately!" A technician came out and fixed it instantly. The tractor was not fitted with the equipment that the message referred to! He just unplugged a wire.

#47 ·
This started to appear on my May17 DS after the last Blue top-up. Usually disappears after a few miles or a battery charge. Came up again today but suspicions arose as I had just done an 85mile trip towing van down motorway. Tried battery volts with my trusty Fluke & it indicated a healthy 12.221 volts. Is this yet another case of dodgy alarm system throwing spurious messages out. Trouble is with the alarm standing the tailgate won't operate until the engine is started. This is the second DS Sport with electronic issues which always seem to start when the vehicle has been in for routine checks, recalls or top-ups. What do the mechanics do that they upset the electronics?

#49 ·
Just had Customer Service out for fourth time for "Low Battery etc" message. I had just competed 104 mile daylight run.Software reset for fourth time.
Battery and charging tested and pronounced 100% healthy.
On another note, I don't think I would ever trust the readout on a 4 quid eBay USB charger!

#51 ·
Clearly this is a known world wide problem with DS that's been happening for years! Why can't LR get their acts together to avoid the same problem on future models. I've picked up my 2018 model late September and have spent the last 8 months dealing with the same low battery warning along with multiple other glitches. I shouldn't have to be praying to have this sorted before my 5 year extended warranty expires. Furthermore, after the amount of money I've spent I still need to pay with my time. Disgusting LR!!