Incoming Mobile Phone Calls Not Ringing

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
Ian_S

Re: Incoming Mobile Phone Calls Not Ringing

Post by Ian_S » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:55 am

No-one has said it is a systemic issue other than you. It's clearly a problem that only impacts some users, and there is no pattern yet for even the type of phone as some iPhone 8's for example, work, and others do not, even on the same iOS level.

If you're going to get pedantic, then there are more bluetooth profiles involved than two. There's HFP, MAP, AVRCP, A2DP, PBAP and maybe some others, however, it's unlikely these are the main issue as these are implemented by iOS and if they were the problem then it would be systemic. Also iOS 12 is officially NOT compatible with ICT. JLR have only certified up to iOS 11.3. However, if we wanted to just believe that then we could simply ask CRC and take their word as gospel as they are always right, and no-one ever upgrades their phone beyond what JLR certify or buys new phones not on the list. (Same for Android with Galaxy S10 etc. and there are plenty of Android phone issues too where different manufacturers can use completely different hardware...)

The problem is far more subtle than 'it's not connected to bluetooth' and the AirPlay thing comes in not because I'm saying the phone or ICT use it to talk to each other (they don't), but purely because Apple keep tweaking the rules around how apps that handle audio have to behave in order to improve their AirPlay 2 experience for end users. Apple are big on user experience rules, and constantly change them. And it's apps that are most likely to be in use on a Bluetooth audio connection, as without some kind of audio app, you get no music by default. The beauty of a bluetooth audio connection is that you can stream from say Spotify, even if the in car system doesn't support it, and at a basic level (thanks to AVRCP) you can use the steering wheel controls to skip tracks etc. even if there is no convenient display on ICT for Spotify...

To be fair, this is the kind of thing it's impossible for any dealer to diagnose. This needs a phone that is displaying the issue to go to Gaydon where the ICT team can hook it up to a test rig, and determine which profiles (if any) are unable to correctly connect between the phone and ICT as they will be able to run the ICT software in a test/debug harness. That would help enormously in narrowing down the problem. I am more than happy to take my iPhone to Gaydon for a day if anyone from their ICT team reads these forums.

On my phone (XS using iOS 12) I can clearly demonstrate that Sonos (which does not use Bluetooth) can prevent my phone from being able to connect audio via Bluetooth to ICT if it was running and the last thing I used on my phone (letting it just timeout into lock mode) before I get in the car and try and use Bluetooth for playing music. How can that happen if its as simple as only Bluetooth is in use? Hence my suspicion, and I've only called it a suspicion, that Apple have made some rule changes around audio stream usage that maybe some apps are not correctly adhering to which then causes problems. The big thing Apple have been changing recently and tweaking (with more coming in iOS 13) is Airplay2 for their Homepod ecosystem and AirPlay 2 TV control (new in a recent iOS 12 update) which is why I'm guessing this is where the problem may be. Not with Airplay as a protocol, but with rules around audio channel control and audio hand-off.

To complicate further, ICT does allow two phones to be connected at the same time, one for phone use, and another for audio... Which implies that the straight audio connection (A2DP) is not required for the handsfree phone function... which also implies the handsfree function may not use A2DP to sound the ringer... or does it? These are things only the ICT software people can confirm, but to do that successfully they need a phone that has the issue.
MY2016 HSE TD4 180

DiscoDriver

Post by DiscoDriver » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:02 am

Use the iPhone audio call routing settings to force it to Bluetooth.

aingarth

Post by aingarth » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:50 am

To DiscoDriver, Ian S and Dashnine,
You have got into some quite deep technical issues here and, although I am quite technical, not up to the level Ian S is talking about. Solving this issue is becoming quite an obsession, beyond the actual nuisance that the problem is causing. At a user level, some facts which make it clear how strange the issue is:-

Is it a problem phone?
I have tested the following phones using three different SIM cards from three different network providers (O2, BT Mobile and Vodafone). 3GS, 4, 5, 5C, 6, 7, 8 and X. On my car they all behave the same. Clearly, although the 7,8 and X are on the latest IOS (now 12.3.1) the 3GS, 4 and 5 are much earlier IOS. BUT, sitting in the car with the dealer's technical lead and a sales person with two identical iPhone 8s with same IOS level, same settings and same ring tone, one behaves differently from the other.

Is it the car software?
JLR have had the car on a test rig for a total of 10 working days now and have tested all the software. Both the two loan cars have behaved the same way. As I understand it, Gaydon have been linked to the test rig at the dealer and their "top man" has been involved. The Gaydon man is the person who wrote the conclusions I reported earlier

Can the phone ring itself if Bluetooth is connected?
Apparently the application which deals with this within InControl, I think they call it NG software, which has been changed around October 2018 and is now on all Discovery and Range Rover cars is designed so that the phone itself rings and that ring is amplified by the car system. Its not what I have ever experienced before but JLR say that is how it is designed to work. How this works at a technical level I have no idea.

Is the car connected to Bluetooth
A paired phone is showing on the screen with phone name, network provider etc. withing seconds of the car being started. I can even scroll through calls, contacts or even get the system to read texts as an incoming call is being received. That to me suggests strongly that Bluetooth IS connected. I can be listening to the radio, or to music from the phone via Bluetooth or music on the phone by lightening connector when the incoming call comes in, no difference.

Is it the incoming ringing tone?
Possibly. We have tried downloaded tunes, tunes not on the iPhone list which have been created and some of the standard tones on the phone. Some are better than others.

So to summarise. The hands free works almost exactly as designed with one exception. The latest software is designed to play the phone ringing tone/tune through the car system at the same time as the phone itself is playing the same tune and while to=he phone is connected to Bluetooth. Not how Bluetooth has connected in the past and I don't understand technically how this works but the technical people at the dealer tell me with conviction this is how it works (they DIDN'T understand this when I first brought the problem to them). All my previous cars have had the phone itself silenced if connected by Bluetooth and the car has created a ringing tone. THE PROBLEM The volume through the car system is almost inaudible with absolutely everything set at max volume. So you rely on hearing the phone itself or seeing the incoming call on the main screen or relayed on the dash in front of you. You can live with it but it is annoying and tricky if you are at 70mph and concentrating on the traffic. It is not how the system is supposed to work and frankly, no-one at JLR fully understands the issue but they are not having the car back again to waste my time.
Disco Sport Landmark 180 auto New 29/11/2018
Subaru Impreza 2007 New 29/9/2007
Previous Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto New29/09/2012
Previous Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto New 30/03/2007
Previous - BMW 525i Auto and 528i Auto

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:51 am

Tested my MY19 yesterday, with iPhone 6S running iOS 12.1 and it rings in the car and on the phone. The volume in the car is at max (38) to hear it however.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

Ian_S

Post by Ian_S » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:50 am

Just wondering....

Do the people having the issue all have an Apple TV at home?
MY2016 HSE TD4 180

DiscoDriver

Post by DiscoDriver » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:09 am

iPhone 6S iOS 12.3.1
InControl Touch 3.4

Phone does not ring and the audio is streamed to the car speakers.

However, the issue you describe is a known fault on InControl Touch Pro with certain iPhones.

Dashnine do you have InControl Touch or InControl Touch Pro?

On the iPhone goto:

Settings - General - Accessibility - Call Audio Routing

Set this to "Bluetooth Headset"

And if you never want to miss a call, turn on "Auto-Answer Call" and set the timer to a few seconds.

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:20 am

DiscoDriver wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:09 am
iPhone 6S iOS 12.3.1
InControl Touch 3.4

Phone does not ring and the audio is streamed to the car speakers.

However, the issue you describe is a known fault on InControl Touch Pro with certain iPhones.

Dashnine do you have InControl Touch or InControl Touch Pro?

On the iPhone goto:

Settings - General - Accessibility - Call Audio Routing

Set this to "Bluetooth Headset"

And if you never want to miss a call, turn on "Auto-Answer Call" and set the timer to a few seconds.
Sorry, should have added that I have InControl Touch.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

aingarth

Post by aingarth » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:40 pm

I have standard InControl. The dealer told me that the setting you refer to should be at "automatic". I have tried the Bluetooth Headset setting you are recommending and it makes no difference.

The key issue is whether your Disco plays the tune on the iPhone through the speakers or whether it creates its own ringtone. If the latter, it will be similar to most Discoveries and Freelanders. If it play the phone tune I am advised that in all circumstances that the phone will also ring (irrespective of whether you the "issue" or not). What I gathered is that the application to link the phone via Bluetooth and play the phone tune is not as simple as being a part of the latest InControl Software - they told me that earlier Discos will not get this feature even if they have updated InControl software. Does that ring true to you?

None of this explains how two identical iPhone 8 phones can behave differently with identical settings in the same car and it seems a range of other iPhones actually can do the same.
Disco Sport Landmark 180 auto New 29/11/2018
Subaru Impreza 2007 New 29/9/2007
Previous Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto New29/09/2012
Previous Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto New 30/03/2007
Previous - BMW 525i Auto and 528i Auto

DiscoDriver

Post by DiscoDriver » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:33 pm

Maybe it’s hardware then e.g. a different Bluetooth module in newer cars with associated software/firmware. That could be why some don’t have the issue (pre MY17?) and why having the latest software doesn’t make any difference (as it’s hardware/firmware).

Ian_S

Post by Ian_S » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:01 am

aingarth wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:40 pm
The key issue is whether your Disco plays the tune on the iPhone through the speakers or whether it creates its own ringtone. If the latter, it will be similar to most Discoveries and Freelanders. If it play the phone tune I am advised that in all circumstances that the phone will also ring (irrespective of whether you the "issue" or not). What I gathered is that the application to link the phone via Bluetooth and play the phone tune is not as simple as being a part of the latest InControl Software - they told me that earlier Discos will not get this feature even if they have updated InControl software. Does that ring true to you?

None of this explains how two identical iPhone 8 phones can behave differently with identical settings in the same car and it seems a range of other iPhones actually can do the same.
Not sure it explains either how a MY2016 (built Feb 2016) DS also has the issue.... old hardware and not the latest software either.
MY2016 HSE TD4 180

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”