Discovery Sport Forum banner

<t>At what mileage was the first service performed (or will be required) on your 2.0 L DIESEL DS ?</

• <t>A - First service was performed or will be required at 0 to 4199 miles (0 to 6756 km)</t>

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • <t>B - First service was performed or will be required 4200 to 6299 miles (6757 to 10137 km)</t>

Votes: 30 15.0%
  • <t>C - First service was performed or will be required 6300 to 8399 miles (10138 to 13516 km)</t>

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • <t>D - First service was performed or will be required 8400 to 10499 miles (13517 to 16896 km)</t>

Votes: 32 16.0%
  • <t>E - First service was performed or will be required 10500 to 12599 miles (16897 to 20276 km)</t>

Votes: 20 10.0%
  • <t>F - First service was performed or will be required 12600 to 14699 miles (20277 to 23655 km)</t>

• <t>G - First service was performed or will be required 14700 to 16799 miles (22656 to 27037 km)</t>

• <t>H - First service was performed or will be required 16800 to 18899 miles (27038 to 30415 km)</t>

Votes: 9 4.5%
  • <t>J - First service was performed or will be required 18900 to 20999 miles (30416 to 33794 km)</t>

Votes: 14 7.0%
  • <t>K - First service was performed >= 21000 miles - estimated diesel dilution % was not known</t>

Votes: 9 4.5%
  • <t>L - First service was performed >= 21000 miles - estimated diesel dilution % < 6.1%</t>

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • <t>M - First service was performed >= 21000 miles - estimated diesel dilution % >= 6.1%</t>

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • <t>N - First service was performed after 24 months</t>

Votes: 5 2.5%

SERVICE POLL - UPDATED INSTRUCTIONS

85K views 126 replies 36 participants last post by  Google[Bot] 
#1 ·
SERVICE INTERVAL POST - INSTRUCTIONS
=================================

:?: If you have already had the first service use the mileage at which the service message appeared, NOT the mileage the service was performed at. Go to the top of the thread and locate your answer from A) to J) - these are A) 0 to 20% of the claimed service interval and then B) to J) 10% increments all the way up to 21000 miles. If, like me, you used oil sampling to determine the mileage when the service was required, use the mileage at the time the sample was taken.

:?: If you have NOT had the first service and your total mileage is 5000 or more please add your current mileage to the Oil Service mileage in Next Service which you'll find in Vehicle Information when the Ignition is ON but the engine is OFF. Now go to the top of the thread and vote for an answer from A) to J).

:?: If you have NOT had the first service and your total mileage is less than 5000 please read the Oil Service mileage in Next Service which you'll find in Vehicle Information when the Ignition is ON but the engine is OFF. Now correct this Oil Service mileage by working out how many miles you have already "lost" and adjust the estimated mileage to predict what the situation is going to be when you have actually completed 5000 miles. For example:

Say I have done 3,000 miles and the Oil Service indication shows 15000 then, without a correction, 15,000 + 3,000 = 18,000, so I would vote "H - First service was performed or will be required 16800 to 18899 miles (27038 to 30415 km)". But this would be misleading because the car will not make it to 18,000 miles before the service is required due to the fact that the Oil Service mileage is reducing faster than the miles are being driven. An adjustment is necessary. Make the adjustment as follows:

Miles Driven = 3000
Service Miles Lost = 6000
Ratio of Service Miles Lost / Miles Driven = 6000 / 3000 = 2.0
Forecast Miles Lost for next 2000 Miles Driven (to get to 5000) = 2000 x <COLOR color="#4040BF">2.0 = 4000
</COLOR>
============================================================
Mileage to Vote = 5000 + (15000 - 4000) = 16000
============================================================
Now go to the top of the thread and with the adjusted Oil Service mileage vote for an answer from A) to J).

:?: If you had the first service at or above 21,000 miles or after 2 years go to the top of the thread and choose an answer from K to N.

See less See more
#102 ·
So this is the reply from LRUK. Note the first paragraph states the 5 year service plan covers all supplemental oil and filter changes but the second states only during the 3 year warranty period. Contradictory.

Dear Mr....

Thank you for your recent communication through Social Media.

When a 5 year Service Plan is taken out through our approved retailer network this includes the Services that need to be completed within the first five years and any supplement oil and filter changes between services.

I can confirm that should your vehicle require any oil and filter changes prior to the service of your vehicle, these would be covered as a goodwill gesture once Land Rover have been notified, while the vehicle is within its 3 year manufactures warranty.

Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me further.

Yours sincerely,

--
Becci Parsons

Digital Experience Coordinator.
Customer Experience Centre
Jaguar Land Rover

#103 ·
castiel109 said:
So this is the reply from LRUK. Note the first paragraph states the 5 year service plan covers all supplemental oil and filter changes but the second states only during the 3 year warranty period. Contradictory.

Dear Mr....

Thank you for your recent communication through Social Media.

When a 5 year Service Plan is taken out through our approved retailer network this includes the Services that need to be completed within the first five years and any supplement oil and filter changes between services.

I can confirm that should your vehicle require any oil and filter changes prior to the service of your vehicle, these would be covered as a goodwill gesture once Land Rover have been notified, while the vehicle is within its 3 year manufactures warranty.

Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me further.

Yours sincerely,

--
Becci Parsons

Digital Experience Coordinator.
Customer Experience Centre
Jaguar Land Rover
Seems to imply they don't think you have a service plan, so have said that if you have Service plan they're free for 5 years, as you don't have a service plan they're free for only 3 years.

What did you ask of them (to make them think you don't have a service plan)?

#105 ·
castiel109 said:
They know I have a service plan. They have the vin of my vehicle and the dealer also informed them.
I wouldn't trust LR to know anything about Service Plans. What I was getting at, what was the text you sent that Becci replied to (in isolation, assuming she didn't check anything)?

#106 ·
Dashnine said:
castiel109 said:
They know I have a service plan. They have the vin of my vehicle and the dealer also informed them.
I wouldn't trust LR to know anything about Service Plans. What I was getting at, what was the text you sent that Becci replied to (in isolation, assuming she didn't check anything)?
There has been a week long conversation specifically about the dealer not accepting that my service plan includes supplemental oil services outside of the normal 21k main service any longer. It would be extremely daft in their part to think that they did not know I had a service plan as that was the very subject my complaint related to.

#107 ·
Here we go: I asked for further clarification and this is the reply.

Hi Jay,

Thank you for your DM.

As a Service Plan has been taken out on your vehicle, any oil and filter changes that are required on your vehicle prior to a service will be covered free of charge as a goodwill gesture, providing your vehicle is within its 3 year manufacturer's warranty.

Outside of the manufacturers warranty this would need to be assessed on a case by case basis.

Thanks, Becci - Land Rover UK

So the 5 year service plan is really a four year service plan at best.

#108 ·
#109 ·
#110 ·
There's a distinct "bump" in the results with 12 cars in band J but otherwise 150-plus responses are showing a neat curve in line with anecdotal evidence and personal experience. While far from perfect, thus survey is the closest thing there is to scientific proof of the characteristics and extent of this problem and it is, I think, a powerful PR tool in the fight to get JLR to do something about it while there's still time.

There's a suggested formula above (Link) which eliminates the skewing effect of entering your oil service mileage too early (i.e. before the usual 250-300% mileage ratio has taken its toll). If you are in that band, please re-check your numbers at a convenient moment and apply the formula to keep the results as accurate as possible. Remember that you can update your vote any number of times.

Also, as the latest software starts to have an effect, everyone is kindly reminded to update their mileage to reflect the most recent mileage between oil changes, after their oil has been changed for the second and subsequent time. That way if there is any real positive trend in the mean and mode, we should pick that up too. Many thanks to all of you who continue to participate in keeping this going. I no longer benefit but it was my baby and it was conceived out of a genuine concern that something needed to be done to get JLR's attention. From what I read, that is still the case so far as most of the diesel DS community is concerned.

#111 ·
NoDiscoSport said:
There's a distinct "bump" in the results with 12 cars in band J but otherwise 150-plus responses are showing a neat curve in line with anecdotal evidence and personal experience. While far from perfect, thus survey is the closest thing there is to scientific proof of the characteristics and extent of this problem and it is, I think, a powerful PR tool in the fight to get JLR to do something about it while there's still time.

There's a suggested formula above (Link) which eliminates the skewing effect of entering your oil service mileage too early (i.e. before the usual 250-300% mileage ratio has taken its toll). If you are in that band, please re-check your numbers at a convenient moment and apply the formula to keep the results as accurate as possible. Remember that you can update your vote any number of times.

Also, as the latest software starts to have an effect, everyone is kindly reminded to update their mileage to reflect the most recent mileage between oil changes, after their oil has been changed for the second and subsequent time. That way if there is any real positive trend in the mean and mode, we should pick that up too. Many thanks to all of you who continue to participate in keeping this going. I no longer benefit but it was my baby and it was conceived out of a genuine concern that something needed to be done to get JLR's attention. From what I read, that is still the case so far as most of the diesel DS community is concerned.
I guess those 12 are customer services ??😂😂😂

#112 ·
Even if those 12 reports were genuine that still leaves 71% of cars needing an oil service before 10,000 miles. Remove those and any wiith a pre-N010/N020 service message alert and 8 in 10 cars aren't reaching the half way point. Surely they would be better off now just admitting the obvious rather than carrying on this ridiculous charade. Or...

If, as reported elsewhere, they are lagging all the new cars to ameliorate this problem, could this be a preface to some good news for existing owners? Maybe there might finally be a recall to bring everyone up to the latest spec and minimise the effects of the original design flaw.

#113 ·
NoDiscoSport said:
If, as reported elsewhere, they are lagging all the new cars to ameliorate this problem, could this be a preface to some good news for existing owners? Maybe there might finally be a recall to bring everyone up to the latest spec and minimise the effects of the original design flaw.
Thanks what I'm hoping they'll do, after a period of in-service running to actually see what happens on MY19, so it may be a while before any action for older cars.

As mine is on a PCP I'm not that bothered and in all likelyhood if I do get another DS it'd almost certainly be a petrol (definitely no SCRF / oil dilution issue, bigger fuel tank -but I'll need that...).

#114 ·
Lets hope so.

My oil counter is now at zero, having completed less than 7000 motorway/fast A road miles since it was last changed. I am continuing to drive it in the hope that it blows up and does me a favour....I have it in writing from a dealer that it is perfectly fine to drive, and the counter is only an indicator. They can't service it for a fortnight, so we shall see what happens between now and then, if anything.

#115 ·
Badgerface said:
Lets hope so.

My oil counter is now at zero, having completed less than 7000 motorway/fast A road miles since it was last changed. I am continuing to drive it in the hope that it blows up and does me a favour....I have it in writing from a dealer that it is perfectly fine to drive, and the counter is only an indicator. They can't service it for a fortnight, so we shall see what happens between now and then, if anything.
One of those kids chemistry sets with the test tube of iron filings might help it misbehave ?? :lol:

#116 ·
I'll bump this thread up so others are aware of it and can join in the merry game.

#118 ·
Should we also be looking at subsequent intervals?

I have just had an oil service done as a precautionary measure, and the SDD reading was 6%, so not far away from the trigger, and the car has managed 13,381 miles. Assuming that where people measure, actual dilution is less than estimated, that seems like a reasonable result?

#119 ·
Ian_S said:
Should we also be looking at subsequent intervals?

I have just had an oil service done as a precautionary measure, and the SDD reading was 6%, so not far away from the trigger, and the car has managed 13,381 miles. Assuming that where people measure, actual dilution is less than estimated, that seems like a reasonable result?
We could Ian , but these initial results were distorted sonewhat as folk without the service indicator went the full 21k in blindness , plus some folks bought second hand and dealers didnt mention an oil change took place previously .

So the only true readings we got were from folk that bought new and thus new the history.
It's an awkward one.

I suppose folks can always change their vote on a subsequent service , but only if they know the history.

#120 ·
NoDiscoSport said:
Even if those 12 reports were genuine that still leaves 71% of cars needing an oil service before 10,000 miles. Remove those and any wiith a pre-N010/N020 service message alert and 8 in 10 cars aren't reaching the half way point. Surely they would be better off now just admitting the obvious rather than carrying on this ridiculous charade. Or...

It looks like the percentages are moving in the right direction. Having said that it still ain't nearly good enough.

Based on the stats today and without excluding any, but assuming >24 months = over 10K miles, 73 of 191 have achieved over 10K miles before first service. That would mean 62% of cars are now being serviced around or before the half way point.

#122 ·
Please keep updating when your first service was carried out or requested by the car.
If the new architecture changes we should see a shift in figures across the board.
Remembering if you've had an update to 10% acceptable dilution this may just distort these figures.🤔

G
#123 ·
On collection (2 miles on odo) my D180 showed 19890 miles to service.

Today, after 2974miles, its saying service in 17362 miles - so a total of 20336 miles - an improvement of 476 miles.

I'll not vote until i get the message, as oil dilution will be an issue (measure) that goes beyond the countdown timers

#124 ·
DiscoSportDave said:

Today, after 2974miles, its saying service in 17362 miles - so a total of 20336 miles - an improvement of 476 miles.

I'll not vote until i get the message, as oil dilution will be an issue (measure) that goes beyond the countdown timers
Yep best to wait til it shouts for one, it's been noticed it does not drop off in a linear fashion.

G
#125 ·
DiscoSportDave said:

Well I'm now passed 5k miles, so adding the current mileage to the 'next service' mileage gets me to 20,500 miles - time will tell whether that's what actually happens

#126 ·
Last service March 2019, and travelled 8,300 miles since.
Asked for an oil dilution check whilst in for MOT and it's at 5% so might make it to March 2020 when I will be booking in for an annual service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.