Discovery Sport Forum banner

JLR are aware of problems in production!

5K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  adeolly 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Just skimming through this indicates to me once again that there is still no correctly functioning quality system in place.

Anyone who accepts an FTT of 81% as being fantastic improvement be surely be seen as a candidate for Sir Alan Sugar (you're fired). That still means nearly 20% scrapping, rework etc. or am I missing something here?

But at the end of the day I suppose it's a step forward that they've seemingly realised they have problems.

#3 ·
Unbelievable figures, this is why JLR are no longer a prestige brand and are loosing customers. In some cases it is down to under engineering parts and rushed to the market vehicles to save on money and time, but at a cost to customers and brand perception. They are orchestrating their own downfall.
Quality control has always been problem at JLR and will continue to be with their current attitude, hence customer dissatisfaction.
Where as the likes of Lexus and Mercedes have strict quality control and higher standards.
Will JLR ever learn?

#4 ·
Although this is a very interesting document I think the responses are a bit one sided. The production process is highly complex and at almost every stage there is human behaviour applied to a relatively onerous set of repeated tasks. Which of us can say that we never make mistakes and never have an off day? Any one who has worked in this type of environment will recognise that quality control requires acknowledgement of mistakes and thorough final inspection but most of all good open communication at all levels.
I don't know who wrote this communication but it is a valiant attempt to cut through middle management fog and I would be a lot more concerned if the writer was in a position of authority but failed exercise it in attempting to minimise these issues.
I am also pleased to hear support for the Andon system which allows those responsible for processes to immediately halt operations if faults arise. Had this been applied in the corrupt environment of the 1970s there would have been very little product ever leaving the factory ( Halewood, Solihull, Longbridge, Canley, Abingdon et al ) but the fact that it is now actively available ( I assume ) means that things are very different.

#5 ·
roadster said:
Although this is a very interesting document I think the responses are a bit one sided. The production process is highly complex and at almost every stage there is human behaviour applied to a relatively onerous set of repeated tasks. Which of us can say that we never make mistakes and never have an off day? Any one who has worked in this type of environment will recognise that quality control requires acknowledgement of mistakes and thorough final inspection but most of all good open communication at all levels.
I don't know who wrote this communication but it is a valiant attempt to cut through middle management fog and I would be a lot more concerned if the writer was in a position of authority but failed exercise it in attempting to minimise these issues.
I am also pleased to hear support for the Andon system which allows those responsible for processes to immediately halt operations if faults arise. Had this been applied in the corrupt environment of the 1970s there would have been very little product ever leaving the factory ( Halewood, Solihull, Longbridge, Canley, Abingdon et al ) but the fact that it is now actively available ( I assume ) means that things are very different.
I left the name off the bottom deliberately

Position is
Manufacturing Manager FA2

#7 ·
Discotex99 said:
I appreciate roadsters comments but JLR need to take a look at other manufacturers who seem to be able to get it right. Or take a look at the aviation industry. Glad JLR don't make aircraft!
Here here!

#8 ·
Discotex99 said:
I appreciate roadsters comments but JLR need to take a look at other manufacturers who seem to be able to get it right. Or take a look at the aviation industry. Glad JLR don't make aircraft!
Absolutely correct Discotex.

#9 ·
Chippy said:
Discotex99 said:
Absolutely correct Discotex.
The beatings and job losses must therefore continue until morale improves.

Ta-ta Tata and ta for the entertainment.

#10 ·
I wonder if this is a factor in the statement made on the local Midlands news this lunchtime that Land Rover sales were down against 2017 by 6% to just under 78000 total, yet Jaguar sales were up 4% overall to 37000. More attention to quality being focussed on the big cat brand perhaps?

#11 ·
Discotex99 said:
Fair enough but how many zeros would be added to the price if cars were made to aircraft standards?

#12 ·
Badgerface said:
I wonder if this is a factor in the statement made on the local Midlands news this lunchtime that Land Rover sales were down against 2017 by 6% to just under 78000 total, yet Jaguar sales were up 4% overall to 37000. More attention to quality being focused on the big cat brand perhaps?
Hmm - I took delivery of a brand new F-Pace in October and I have now covered 3,500 odd miles. (The DS is my wife's)
Faults to date = zero.
Rattles = zero
Build quality = excellent; no issues

I have ITCP which is far better than my expectations, plus I had Apple CarPlay enabled in December (free) and that works brilliantly too. (ITCP is way faster than the MMI system I had in my previous 2016 £42k Audi).

The only thing I don't like is that there was no option to have all season tyres factory fitted, so have Pirelli P Zeros which are hard as nails.

Overall I'm very happy with it. Oh, and distance to service is declining neatly in line with miles covered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.