The death of diesel? Or the future?

The place to discuss everything else..
The Highlander

The death of diesel? Or the future?

Post by The Highlander » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:14 am

A Times article this morning. The Telegraph had one on residules of diesels, which basically isn't good. Here's a recent take on diesel from the BBC.

Like it or not, you've got to question the wisdom of buying a diesel car as many people obviously are and swapping to petrol.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42615559

Jaguar Land Rover has launched a withering attack on the government, claiming that ministers’ “demonisation of diesel” was undermining the country’s largest carmaker.

Presenting 2017 worldwide sales figures that appeared to show a good year, up 7 per cent to 621,000, the manufacturer with plants in the West Midlands and on Merseyside emphasised that growth was being held back by events in its domestic market.

Jaguar Land Rover, owned by the Indian conglomerate Tata, produces about 530,000 cars from factories in Solihull, Castle Bromwich and Halewood, near Liverpool. About a fifth of those remain in the UK with bestsellers including the Range Rover Evoque, the Land Rover Discovery and the Jaguar F-Pace.

Andy Goss, group sales director, said: “We’re facing tough times in key markets such as the UK where consumer confidence and diesel taxes will hit us.”

Briefing reporters, Mr Goss expressed Jaguar Land Rover’s irritation with those ministers such as Michael Gove, the environment secretary, who have talked of banning diesel cars, officials who have routinely talked of “dirty diesel” and the shock at the latest tax attack by Philip Hammond in the budget. “We employ 40,000 people with thousands more in the supply chain,” Mr Goss said. “We have invested billions of pounds in technology. We export more than 80 per cent of what we make. We are delivering huge benefits to the economy.

“We would expect the government to take a proper, hand-in-glove approach [working with industry] and working through policies without any surprises. I think that is a reasonable request.”

Sales of diesel cars have been tumbling at 30 per cent a year according to latest figures, a fall that senior industry figures have blamed on government interventions. The impact on Jaguar Land Rover has been as stark. In the last three months of 2017, Jaguar sales in the UK slumped 22 per cent.

The vast majority of its cars for the UK come with a diesel engine manufactured at its state-of the-art Wolverhampton factory built four years ago with taxpayer funding and support from then prime minister David Cameron for a new generation of clean diesel engines which emit less carbon dioxide than petrol engines.

The industry — and Jaguar Land Rover in particular — was further hit in November when Mr Hammond used his latest budget to levy an extra vehicle excise duty on new diesel cars which could put another £400 on the tax of a Land Rover Discovery.

“It is difficult to fathom the latest decision,” Mr Goss said. “It is counter intuitive. The more petrol cars that come on to the road — rather than diesel cars — means that CO2 emissions go up.”

Explaining that no car manufacturer was yet able to mass-produce electric vehicles to take over from the internal combustion engine, Mr Goss added: “What we want is a playing field that is understood and that we can plan for. It is in everyone’s interest we have an appropriate glide path [to switching from the combustion engine to electric].”

charisme1

Re: The death of diesel?

Post by charisme1 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:56 am

Hi Highlander,

I'm a little bit worried about that too,

In fact, I bought a diesel MY17 DS six month ago that cost me a fortune and now we have the same issue here in France and particularly in Paris (where I live).

End of diesel in Paris in 2024 and end of petrol in 2030.

So I think that what is happening in the UK is the result of a global European target or environmental philosophy against diesel.

Regards

Julien
MY17 -TD4 Diesel Ingenium - Automatic transmission - Privacy glass - Business Pack - Leather steering wheel
18" wheel rims - Front and rear parking aids - Auto lights and wipers - fog lights - Cruise control - Fuji White

The Highlander

Post by The Highlander » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:10 am

Negative reports don't normally bother me, but I his one does.

Things move so quickly these days, that you ignore it at your peril. Residules aren't great for the DS and I can see it getting a lot worse.

PaulCP

Post by PaulCP » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:24 am

Pity that Andy Goss, JLR Group Sales Director, doesn't look inwards a bit. If he did he may just find that JLRs approach to customers, who buy their cars with known faults and then get told that the problem is their driving style, might just be a contributor to their falling sales in the U.K.

Sorry JLR, you're trying to take the easy way out again, blame everyone but yourselves
Now: Lexus RX 450h F Sport + Premier Pack
GONE Jan 2018:- HSE Lux Firenze Red (MY17), Ivory Interior, Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Headlights, Surround Cameras,

Previous: Range Rover Sport HSE Black Edn, Ipanema Sand

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:32 am

I was just about to make a very similar comment PaulCP. A classic case of passing the buck and shooting yourself in the foot at the same time. By highlighting the problem once again they’ll make sure it never goes away.
MB GLC 250d.
Gone: 2 x DS TD4. Both rejected - B pillar ticking.
Evoque TD4. Increasing problems.

Woolmeister

Post by Woolmeister » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:23 am

PaulCP wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:24 am
Pity that Andy Goss, JLR Group Sales Director, doesn't look inwards a bit. If he did he may just find that JLRs approach to customers, who buy their cars with known faults and then get told that the problem is their driving style, might just be a contributor to their falling sales in the U.K.

Falling sales in the UK? Are you sure about that? Or are these figures worldwide?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42603271

I wonder how many of those 126,078 Discovery Sports sold last year have been rejected? ;)

Steve
17MY HSE Auto 180 in Carpathian Grey with Ebony Leather, Privacy Glass, Roof Rails, and Row 2 USB.
Seasonal stereophonic B Pillar Ticking (No Cost Option) and a horrendous auto box.
DISCO3.CO.UK Member
MINI Cooper 1.6 D Convertible // Škoda Fabia 1.2 SE L

The Highlander

Post by The Highlander » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:02 am

Just a guess, but 126,077? On the basis there must be one good car. :lol:

Maybe it's a sales ploy, people reject first car, so give them a second, boots sale figures no end.

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:06 am

The Highlander wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:02 am
Just a guess, but 126,077? On the basis there must be one good car. :lol:

Maybe it's a sales ploy, people reject first car, so give them a second, boots sale figures no end.
:lol: :lol:
MB GLC 250d.
Gone: 2 x DS TD4. Both rejected - B pillar ticking.
Evoque TD4. Increasing problems.

The Highlander

Post by The Highlander » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:44 am

Yes, you can just imagine in true Black Adder style, at an Executive Board Meeting, the Global Sales executive saying,

"I have a cunning plan, so cunning I surprised myself - a B pillar tick, they reject the car, we take back the car, give them another and so on, just like Groundhog Day, what better way to increase our sales figures."

NoDiscoSport

Post by NoDiscoSport » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:51 am

Woolmeister wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:23 am
Falling sales in the UK? Are you sure about that? Or are these figures worldwide?

In December 2017, Jaguar sales were down 20% to 2,009 units (2016 = 2,520), while total UK Land Rover sales fell 16% to 4,186 (2016 = 4,967). Across the Jaguar Land Rover group this represents a total shortfall of 17% overall on a year ago, which is only slightly worse than the UK market average fall of 14%.

JLR sells a much higher proportion of diesel models so, actually, Mr. Goss is correct to defend his company's performance by pointing to the larger issue of loss of market confidence in diesels generally (December UK diesel sales were down 31%). Whether or not the government's assault on diesels represents a sensible strategy is a totally different matter but this is the commercial landscape upon which JLR has to operate. On the evidence, it seems to me that they are weathering the storm pretty well.

This still doesn't get them off the hook for the technical cock-up and subsequent mis-selling that led me to reject the Discovery Sport :evil: - but IMHO it's still important to remain objective and avoid blurring different issues together - as we know, this is not the forte of popular journalists.

UK Car Sales - https://www.smmt.co.uk/vehicle-data/car-registrations/
17MY DS150PS 6 speed manual. Rejected as "not of satisfactory quality", "not as described", Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”