Off topic or not ?

The place to discuss everything else..
Barnsh

Off topic or not ?

Post by Barnsh » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:57 pm

Range Rover DPF problems unhappy chap

http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/30/livid-ran ... p-6542556/
MY17 DS HSE 180 manual Firenze/Almond,10 way Mem seats, Priv glass,Active xenon, surround cam. Space saver wheel, gloss grey wheels.
My16.5 DS Se Tech 180 b pillar tick - rejected :oops:
My16 DS Se Tech180 Tracker Cut main loom = rejected :oops:

Chippy

Re: Off topic or not ?

Post by Chippy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:32 am

Good question Barnsh. This kind of scene seems to be ever more present on the streets of Britain (presumably in other countries too).

BFGDSMan

Post by BFGDSMan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:31 am

I remember reading about this when it was posted. I thought that whilst i have a degree of sympathy for his plight, I had assumed it was well known that short town based journeys (especially in London) and diesel cars with DPF (and not to mention new SCR technology post VW naughtiness) was never a good combo - the effects of DPF and towns have been well publicised for the last 3 or 4 years (really since Diesel Euro 5 standard came in).

Don't see this as an LR failing really?
Gone: SD4 HSE (rubbish), TD4 HSE Lux (great)

Arrived: TD4 (180PS) HSE Lux, Auto, Santorini, Ivory Leather, 19" Chrome Shadow alloys, Privacy Glass, Mudflaps (poor start..but turning out to be the best built yet :o )

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:10 pm

BFGDSMan wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:31 am
I remember reading about this when it was posted. I thought that whilst i have a degree of sympathy for his plight, I had assumed it was well known that short town based journeys (especially in London) and diesel cars with DPF (and not to mention new SCR technology post VW naughtiness) was never a good combo - the effects of DPF and towns have been well publicised for the last 3 or 4 years (really since Diesel Euro 5 standard came in).

Agreed, especially if the dealer has 'evidence' of his knowledge of the issue, presumably must be a signed hand over document of some sort.

But the article though out seems odd - referring to LR as Range Rover (which is the brand, not the company) and saying the dealer didn't sell that model (RRS - really?). Don't know if it's full of errors or generally poor journalism!
HSE Black MY16.5 (2.0 180 Ingenium), Santorini Black, Ebony Memory Seats, Black Roof Rails, Detachable Towbar, 2 x USB in 2nd row, Delete Badging, Service Pack.

VeryDiscoSport

Post by VeryDiscoSport » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:18 am

BFGDSMan wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:31 am

Agreed. But the well-known issue with cars that never do a journey over 20 minutes is a factor for only a very small number of DS drivers; they represent the classic "driving style" minority who should never have been sold a diesel in the first place. The existence of that group is a nuisance for other owners, though, because they provide a very convenient smokescreen for the manufacturer to hide behind, blurring the otherwise clear matter of their responsibility for the fault as expressed in JLRP00100. The stakes here are extremely high for JLR. That is why they keep saying, repeating the phrase to owners like it was a religious mantra, from the Executive Board downwards: "driving style, driving style, driving style". And it is why owners, in turn, need to keep repeating an alternative mantra back at them at every opportunity: "hardware and architecture differences", "higher than expected amounts of post-injection", "known fault", "miscalculations", "continued vehicle use with high oil dilution causes engine failue", "free oil changes paid for by warranty provision", "never a problem with Ingenium fitted in the XE", etc., etc. In any war of words, the owner of the lexicon is in the strongest position.
18MY Toyota RAV4 Excel 2.5 Petrol-Hybrid AWD CVT Auto
17MY Discovery Sport SE Tech - Regrettably rejected
09MY Toyota RAV4 X-TR 2.2D Diesel AWD Manual ------- (& 20+ others)

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:46 am

Well said VDS. I think a major failing is that far too few dealers have made customers aware of the potential problems with driving Diesel cars in towns and cities. As BFGDSMan says it’s not really anything new.

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”