Rant - Council Tax

The place to discuss everything else..
The Highlander

Rant - Council Tax

Post by The Highlander » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:01 pm

Needless to say, in common with everyone else, I’ve got my 2018-19 Council Tax bill. It’s gone up 3% on last year and is not unsubstantial. :roll: still it was expected and is one of the joys.

Apart from Highland Council reducing part time Rangers in Torridon and similar, they seem loath to make any real cuts that would reduce the burden. I mean redundancies, particularly as I think they are over staffed. I know quite a few people that have moved jobs from private to the Council and they all without exception all say the same about their co-workers and it’s not very complimentary.

I believe I should pay my bit, but come on there’s a responsibility on the council to make sure we get value for money.

I normally pay all of the Council Tax in one go and was about to do it this year when I saw that low and behold they accept Visa and now no surcharge, so being a rebel ........ :lol:

Barnsh

Re: Rant - Council Tax

Post by Barnsh » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:38 pm

Your lucky 7%!!

6% more for police.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

The Highlander

Post by The Highlander » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:12 pm

Wot! 7%? :shock: as for the Police, it’s like Casper the friendly Policemen - you never see them apart from Camera Vans, which are self financing.

That said, they’ve taken to doing speed checks on the Lochcarron and Ullapool roads. There are straight sections you can hoof it if your inclined.

I got stung last years Council Tax. It was 3% plus there was another percentage for being in a higher banding. I ended up about 6-7% in total. :roll:

Massive waste in the local Council. They are the biggest employer up here and I can sort of see the logic with jobs, if you make someone redundant then it costs other ways, but even so, at some point it needs addressed.

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:21 pm

Ours is 5% up, big increase for the Cops.
MY19 P240 HSE (on order), Indus, Black Pack, Privacy, Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
MY16 HSE Black, Santorini, Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Detachable Towbar, 2 x USB in 2nd row, Delete Badging.

The Highlander

Post by The Highlander » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:38 pm

They’ve got you by the knackers over Council Tax.

There was a lot of waste with the Police up here. We had a chief constable, deputy, 4x Chief Supers and so it went on. Now Police Scotland are in charge, our area went down to one Chief Supt for the whole Highlands. That’s the highest rank now. Makes you wonder what they did to fill their day before? That said, they haven’t spent it on Bobbies on the beat, we don’t see them anymore.

Apart from the waste by local Council, I also object to people putting on extensions to their house and not having the value updated for Council Tax purposes. I am not talking the odd Conservatory here, more over those that have put on several rooms.

PaulCP

Post by PaulCP » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:27 pm

The Highlander wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:01 pm
they seem loath to make any real cuts that would reduce the burden. I mean redundancies, particularly as I think they are over staffed. I know quite a few people that have moved jobs from private to the Council and they all without exception all say the same about their co-workers and it’s not very complimentary.
Don't get me started on councils. (Apologies to any local govt employees on here, I'm sure you are not all the same but I tell it as I find it)

Wife took a part time job with local council a few years ago when we lived in South Wales. She resigned after 3 months because she just couldn't get to grips with the way they worked (or didn't, depending on how you look at it)
She said the general discussion in the office every Thursday surrounded how much more they needed to reduce their work rate so they could come in on overtime at the weekend. Even the so called managers insisted on taking 20 minute tea breaks and 30 minute fag breaks, including the ones that didn't smoke.

You are correct insomuch as they never look at making the cuts that can make a real difference. They also never tell us in their annual attempt at justifying the projected spend how much of the annual spend is keeping up the massive contributions into their defined final salary pension schemes. In an age when most of the private sector have either closed their defined benefit schemes, or substantially increased the level of employee contributions into them, it is immoral that local govt schemes continue as is all funded by council tax payers etc.

Sorry, rant over :roll:
Now: Lexus RX 450h F Sport + Premier Pack
GONE Jan 2018:- HSE Lux Firenze Red (MY17), Ivory Interior, Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Headlights, Surround Cameras,

Previous: Range Rover Sport HSE Black Edn, Ipanema Sand

Badgerface

Post by Badgerface » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:32 pm

Dashnine wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:21 pm
Ours is 5% up, big increase for the Cops.
Yup - think of all the extra new investigations into Facebook/Twitter "hate cwwwiiiimes" that they will now be able to mount, in a further perverted attempt to skew the statistics in their appalling clear up rate!

Not that I'm cynical or anything.......
MY17 HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian Audio
MY13 HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
MY12 HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

The Highlander

Post by The Highlander » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:59 pm

Yes Paul, I know exactly what you mean. When you listen to the Council justifying spending, there’s very little substance, it’s all PC jargon. They make undetectable cuts and spend the next half hour telling us they have cut it to the bone and how well they have done really.

Up here before the Council budget, they were talking large scale redundancies, then after hiking up the Council Tax etc, it turns out the only redundancies was two temporary Counteyside Ranger jobs to go that we’re going anyway.

Badger, when will people take repsonsibility for what they put up on Facebook and the like? If a profile is attracting unwanted attention, delete it and move on. I’d rather the Police devote their attention to making the streets safer rather than Policing the internet tbh.

Badgerface

Post by Badgerface » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:32 pm

The point Highlander, is that West Mercia appear to have unlimited funds for surfing the web all day, yet lambast the "wicked Tories" for cuts to front line policing. Which is frankly BS. They just can't be bothered to get out of their warm offices and investigate anything anymore, be it burglary/assault/robbery or anything involving traditional police investigation. I'm pretty sure we are not the only Police Farce in the country guilty of this either!

To give them a 5% increase for them to police the web more and more instead of getting out and clearing up the real crimes out there, frankly is seen by many (including me) as a misappropriation of public funds.
MY17 HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian Audio
MY13 HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
MY12 HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”