Dashnine

Re: The Future Vision of JLR

Post by Dashnine » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:00 am

sandbox wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:06 am
Dashnine wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:46 pm
But anyway, a rehash of a post from another thread:

I’m continually amazed how much the TV / press get it wrong when it’s a topic one knows something about, or has read / listened to the original source material. Reports that “JLR are going all electric by 2025”, “Land Rover all electric by 2030” or variants thereof.

Jaguar are going all electric (by 2025 - pretty impressive commitment when they’ve just chucked 2 years of new XJ development down the pan and just have iPace). Makes you wonder exactly how many models that will be, can’t see an electric F-Pace generating the sales it does now.

But Land Rover aren’t - just electric availability in each model range (starting 2024 and available in all models by 2030). I guess the electric Road Rover shared with the XJ has been canned too. They’ll still sell ICE engined variants where allowed after 2030 (I assume, don’t think it was mentioned).

Sad to see as suspected, 2000 jobs to go in non manufacturing.
Jaguar are going all electric from 2025 i.e. 2025 will be when the first new all electric Jag arrives.

The reason the XJ and rumoured J-PACE are being canned is because they were to be MLA-based. As Jaguar are now to be fully electric they need a new dedicated electric platform. MLA does everything so is not dedicated.
There will be no electric F-PACE as it’s the wrong platform.

The rumoured Road Rover is likely to use the EMA (electric modular architecture). Although I doubt it will be given that name and more likely, the Velar will morph into the dedicated electric Land Rover.

Land Rover will make and sell petrol hybrids in the UK until they are banned in 2035.
Don’t disagree in the main, but if Jag are ‘all electric’ from 2025, doesn’t that imply no ICE vehicles on sale from 2025?

Also, I meant the F-Pace segment rather than the current F-Pace gaining an electric version. F-Pace sells a lot of cars, I guess from this that Jag have given up on volume especially if ICE replacements on a new platform are going to creep onto the market over several years.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

sandbox

Post by sandbox » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:42 am

Yep, true ... and launch maybe 4 new models, one a year until 2025 at the same time as discontinuing the similar nameplate.

The XJ was probably canned back in July 2020 when it was “postponed”. And they had probably started on the new platform before then as MLA was already finished.

Bolloré highlighted that Jaguar “will be very different. The SUV will be Land Rover.”

So performance crossovers and cars for Jag.

The LR plan is just an extension of the plan announced back in 2018 with everything moving to MLA. EMA is new so will be interesting to see what uses that. I am also interested in the electric Defender as that wasn’t in the 2018 plan.

https://images.app.goo.gl/1b2xS6DKs3L3HodWA
2016 D180 Auto

SarahStreet

Post by SarahStreet » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:23 pm

The electric Defender is already on test in 110 format, and they are aiming at the end of 2022.

One of the problems with Jaguar is that both Castle Brom and Halewood sites (where XJ Panels are still stamped out) are still owned by Ford. Both sites are heavily dated, and a real drain on the balance sheet. I am actually surprised that Jaguar is still part of the TATA vision, as I, like many, were expecting them to be hived off a while ago.

Interesting times ahead, for sure......