Land Rover Dealers & 2020 Driver Power Survey

The place to discuss everything else..
RPR

Land Rover Dealers & 2020 Driver Power Survey

Post by RPR » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:06 pm

Surprise, surprise Land Rover dealers didn't do well - https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/driver-po ... alers-2020
MY18 Indus Silver HSE Black Edition 2.0 TD4 180 ICTP 825w Meridian Audio, Hi Res audio

sandbox

Re: Land Rover Dealers & 2020 Driver Power Survey

Post by sandbox » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:54 pm

While Jaguar are 9th.
2016 D180 Auto

41jules1967

Post by 41jules1967 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:03 am

sandbox wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:54 pm
While Jaguar are 9th.
Exactly. In my case, they're the same dealer.
To be fair though, when I bought the Jag it was a small local friendly Jaguar dealership. Very much based on personal service. It reminded me of Mercedes when I bought my first from them, before they launched the A and subsequent lettered cars and became a volume manufacturer. You knew everyone personally and it was more like popping round see a friend. The showrooms were tiny so no coffee bars or big screen TVs but there was a sofa, someone would get you a cuppa and they'd normally just sit and chat with you. It was a pleasurable experience.

Today we have a huge Farnell JLR complex. There's loads of staff so the personal service has vanished. You're just a number. That's the experience I got when buying (Still waiting for a call back actually). I'll see what they're like when I need the DS working on. The Jag goes to a small garage I've known for 30+ years and once the warranty is out I imagine so will the DS.
2019 Discovery Sport 180 HSE Lux 7 seat & spare wheel - (DIY Fitted Towbar, Mudflaps, Wireless charging pad, Side Steps )
2012 Jaguar XF-S Premium Luxury
Previous - Mercedes (Various C & E Classes), 2 x Freelander2's

dghdgh

Post by dghdgh » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:09 am

I ve said this before, but its relevant to repeat. I visited 2 Land Rover dealerships before I purchased my DS and the difference between the professionalism and attempt to secure a sale was as wide as the Mississippi. I have had a BMW, Merc, Audi and Volvo over the last 10 years as well as my current DS and I have to say the LR dealership were I purchased from topped the lot for customer focus. That said the one I didn't was at the bottom of the list.
I must add I haven't visited the service department yet, although I did have a LR experience with a member of the service department as companion, but the ethos seems to be the foundation of the dealership.

SarahStreet

Post by SarahStreet » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:24 pm

I can well beleive it. There are now some truly awful attitudes on display across the retail network, which is clear to see by the calibre of people that think that the world owes them a living.

There are very few of the 'old school' Merrits-type of retailer left. You cannot possibly build a relationship with someone who is taking orders for £100k vehicles one day, then doing the same in a Peugeot dealers for £75k less the next, owing to their inability to create any form of relationship with the customer long-term. Those days are sadly gone. Greed seems to rule everything nowadays.

roadster

Post by roadster » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:35 am

SarahStreet wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:24 pm
I can well beleive it. There are now some truly awful attitudes on display across the retail network, which is clear to see by the calibre of people that think that the world owes them a living.

There are very few of the 'old school' Merrits-type of retailer left. You cannot possibly build a relationship with someone who is taking orders for £100k vehicles one day, then doing the same in a Peugeot dealers for £75k less the next, owing to their inability to create any form of relationship with the customer long-term. Those days are sadly gone. Greed seems to rule everything nowadays.
Its well over 40 years since I actually worked in a multi-franchise dealership but a lot comes down to the personalities involved. Salesmen ( no females in those days! ) were on commission and a fairly predictable bunch apart from one or two "old-school" gents. But the service receptionists and mechanics ( I was both ) varied much as all individuals do, and most were of goodwill but could get defensive if badly treated by customers or by senior staff. When payment by bonus was introduced things got a bit out of hand because every mechanic knows that only a few tasks can be completed properly within manufacturers quoted times. This led to competition to get the best jobs and avoid the difficult ones. Speaking personally the only way I could hold on to my sanity in that environment was to completely dismiss any idea of bonus payment and carry on as before. But for others who had a wife and family to support that would have been much harder and consequently ill feeling and resentment began to develop.

I don't doubt that things will have got a lot worse now, so spare a thought for the individuals you encounter in the motor trade who might be under much more pressure than you realise.
RAV 4 Hybrid convert
Now gone::2018 MY Diesel auto 180 SE tech