Badgerface

Re: almost going to pull the trigger... but need a push

Post by Badgerface » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:13 am

gazb84 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:12 pm
DiscoDriver wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:10 am
@badgerface

1. Not that it makes any difference, hard earned cash.

2. I had the AEB not available warning but that was condensation on the camera lens due to the cold mornings. Windscreen blower on full cleared that (and the windows and windscreen). I had a low fuel alert too but I fuelled up and that went. Oh, and a tyre pressure warning, but I pumped the tyre up.

I had way more issues with our Nissan and the dealership. My mate is having horrendous issues with his BMW 5 series and the EGR valve debacle.
I don’t get the hang up with hard earned cash either. You can either afford £40k in a lump sum or you spend £500+ per month of your still hard earned cash either way. It doesn’t give you any more reason to be aggrieved disproportionately more based on how the car is funded. You either have a good or bad experience based on the car itself, the financial aspect is irrelevant and not related to the faults experienced.
To clarify.

If it's NOT a lump of your aforementioned hard-earned, and is either a company vehicle, or PCP/Contract Hire/Leased, then the issue is less likely to bother you, because not only is the vehicle NOT yours, it never will be and you will have an exit plan in 3 years. Some of us laid out large amounts of money in the false hope that we would be long-term owners; our fault(s), granted, for believing the lie pedalled by the sales and marketing teams at the time, however try and look at it that our >£40k could (and surely would) have been better invested elsewhere, either to make more money, or reduce ownership worry by buying something without the design issue in the first place.

Hypothetically, and purely as an analagy of sorts, if the DSS or local council housed you in a dump, which had a long-term damp/mould problem and vile neighbours, you would be less inclined to keep daily/weekly/monthly pressure on them and your landlord as a) you weren't paying/contributing (much) for it in the first place, and b) you knew that you would be moved to something better after a short period of time, with no impact on your hard-earned savings whatsoever. Therefore, like most social housing recipients kept by the taxpayer, you wouldn't feel as passionate about the issue as you would had you bought the building outright with a large lump sum of your hard-earned, on the pretext of a lie by the estate agent. Does that make sense?
17MY HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian Audio
13MY HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
12MY HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:39 am

To be fair, ‘ will never be yours’ isn’t exactly accurate with a PCP.

True, there is an exit strategy with three doors (trade the car, give the car back, buy the car), so you can get out completely if you really need to (i.e. give the car back if you’re in negative equity). The other options are exactly the same as buying the car with cash in the first place - keep it or sell it, and selling it when you bought it for cash depends on the same offer price for the car as does trading it in on PCP.

My wife’s Golf Convertible was bought on PCP, she loves it, they’ve stopped making them, and there’s nothing else she wants instead - so it’s highly likely it will be ours when the four years is up.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

PaulCP

Post by PaulCP » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:40 am

DiscoDriver wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:09 am
. In my case it is almost certainly down to driving the car properly.
Please help other members by sharing this unique technique. Would also be good if you completed your profile to show car model and year
Now: Lexus RX 450h F Sport + Premier Pack
GONE Jan 2018:- HSE Lux Firenze Red (MY17), Ivory Interior, Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Headlights, Surround Cameras,

Previous: Range Rover Sport HSE Black Edn, Ipanema Sand

DiscoDriver

Post by DiscoDriver » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:47 am

Usually 50 mph for 30 to 40 minutes per trip. It’s not rocket science!

TeddyBear

Post by TeddyBear » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:17 am

DiscoDriver wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:47 am
This could be very good news for onlookers like me who might also "take the plunge". Would you please be kind enough to say approximately how old your car is, what engine it has, what its total service history has been with mileages and, last but not least: details of how it is driven, what type of roads, journey lengths, loads, speeds and weekly mileages. You sound like you are in an excellent position to help them make another sale. :)

Badgerface

Post by Badgerface » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:30 am

DiscoDriver wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:47 am
If you are driving the old PSA 2.2 unit, I would agree with you.

However, if you have the 2.0 Ingenium unit, then I will challenge that.

To get to the M40 from my driveway involves picking up an NSL road, all the way to the traffic lights at the Gaydon entry slip. From then on, the vehicle drives to Banbury, Bicester, or the A34 Oxford (another NSL road), and back again, five days a week. I have the same oil degradation and dilution issues as everybody else on here, despite driving the vehicle only in "optimum conditions".

Or are you going to tell me that for the vehicle to perform as miraculously as yours, I cannot exceed 50 mph at any time?
17MY HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian Audio
13MY HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
12MY HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

DiscoDriver

Post by DiscoDriver » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:36 am

MY16 D180 2.0l Auto. 1 service at about 20k. Driven on mainly A roads (50 mph) for 30-40 minutes per trip (around 20 miles) a few times a week and then longer trips at weekend. Usually 3 people. Weekly mileage is roughly 350 miles. I almost always drive on cruise control, with stop/start off and not in ECO mode.

Ian_S

Post by Ian_S » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:47 am

Unfortunately if it's a MY16 that had it's first and only service at 20,000 miles, it's highly likely that oil dilution was sky high and the car won't tell you as MY16's have various software issues that prevent the car from telling you it needs a service.

@DiscoDriver - do you use the InControl app at all?
MY2016 HSE TD4 180

VeryDiscoSport

Post by VeryDiscoSport » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:49 am

Sorry. ADSL problems resulting in duplicate post.
Last edited by VeryDiscoSport on Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
2017 DS L-550 2.0 SE Tech 150 6 SPD (Rejected per CRA 2015) :(
2008 RAV4 XA30 2.2D XTR 4WD :)

VeryDiscoSport

Post by VeryDiscoSport » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:50 am

DiscoDriver wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:09 am
What cheat device? None existed for LR vehicles and even if it did, that is for NOX not diesel particulates. In my case it is almost certainly down to driving the car properly.
All EDC17 variants come complete with cheat devices. Several LR vehicles were suspected of using them before 18/09/2015 and it is not inconceivable that the odd one escaped into the field after that date. It remains a valid hypothesis when trying to understand why occasionally people like DD come along, apparently with a magic car.

Btw, if you believe that cheating the NOx test had nothing to do with making the HC/PM management work better I would be happy to point you at the relevant authorities including the US court papers and other technical background. It is all connected.

This car was affected by N273 so we know the VIN range upper and lower bound. Would you be prepared to provide just a little bit more information, say for example the last 8 digits of the VIN or even just the month of manufacture would be useful.

According to my sources such vehicles cannot exist with the AJ200D mounted transversely. Having owned one that limped to 6,000 miles between services I would be keen to understand how such a big difference can be accounted for merely in driving style alone.
2017 DS L-550 2.0 SE Tech 150 6 SPD (Rejected per CRA 2015) :(
2008 RAV4 XA30 2.2D XTR 4WD :)