Discovery Sport Forum banner

Topping up AdBlue with 10l bottles

13K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  EYR 
#1 ·
Hi,
In an effort to avoid paying for dealer AdBlue top ups (I don't get the free ones). I've been looking at doing it myself, 2l at a time seems like a pain. but the 10l looks heavy to be balancing over a funnel. Has anyone got any better ideas ?

The pipe that comes with this looks quite good so was thinking could buy it then keep the pipe for next time.

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-LR104014

Thanks
Daz

#2 ·
Daz,

A suggestion is that when you are next passing your dealer, pop in there and ask them for an empty 1.5l bottle of Adblue, cut it in half and then screw the head into the Adblue filler neck, and use it as a funnel. Far easier to tip a 10l container into and no spillage guaranteed!

#3 ·
Hi, I got a 10 ltrs from a local Auto Parts, that had a flexi hose to screw on to top. Poke that into Ad Blue tfiller point and tip up. Rinse off any spillages with plenty of fresh water. Easy.

G
#4 ·
10l bottle is a little cumbersome but with the filler neck it's ok, plenty of old towels around to catch drips, the 1.5ltr idea is good as well, but don't add more than 10ltr, it don't like it and a trip to the dealership will ensue

#6 ·
I have done all my own adblue top ups from new, I buy 10 litres at a time (last time was a fiver, but usually a tenner) and tip it up into the neck of the adblue reservoir, using a long hose attached to the adblue 10 litre bottle, never had a problem with spillage or it being heavy etc, it take less than 5 minutes to do in total.

#7 ·
The 10L Halfords bottles are really easy if you can manage to lift it onto the engine cover in the first place. Screw the flexi hose on to the bottle, remove the car's cap, lift the bottle onto the engine cover, finger or thumb over the flexi hose while you stick it in the receptacle and you can stand back and wait. Just needs an occasional tip or wiggle to clear air blockages.

#8 ·
Just use an old kitchen measuring jug and a cheap plastic funnel - much easier to decant into the jug and just tip it in - also, you can accurately measure how much you are putting in. As mentioned above - DO NOT OVERFILL or you will get an error message and have to pay to have the system drained down.
You certainly don't need to be lifting up a 10 litre container and balancing it on top of engine.

#9 ·
Find a petrol station that has an AdBlue pump and fill up quickly and very cheaply from there?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Be careful with overfilling the Adblue tank, since there is "an optical reader" in the Adblue tank. If you overfill it the "reader "thinks you have used wrong Adblue and starts the count down from 800 km. My advise is to wait until yellow warning light tells you to add and then add max 5 l. This is on very safe side, but least you do not need to take the vechile to the repair shop. I did the mistake once and filled up app 10 l at the petrol station and after day or two the warning about wrong Adblue started the count down.

#11 ·
Had to do mine today, as 1500 mile warning came on at the weekend.

Added a full 10l container (via a funnel) straight in, which has given me a range of now 5750 miles tonight.

#12 ·
I follow the rule of thumb as follows:
Once the amber warning appears to fill DEF at 1000 miles, 10l of ad-blue goes in.
Drive around for a bit and the car registers the full tank and the vehicle clears the warning and shows 9000miles+ to next refill.

BB

PS
If only MY16 cars would give such a countdown to a service...

#14 ·
I've had a look for garages with the Adblue at the pump and as usual there's none near me 🙈 .. I think I'll give the 10l a try with a funnel if I can get one in time and maybe drop to the 5l if I struggle :) ... thanks all !!

#16 ·
flycop2000 said:
The 10L drums at Halfrauds! have a screw on hose which fits in the filler tube.
That's what I did the most recent time. Worked fine drank all the 10L.

#17 ·
They still make a fookin mess though, far better to use a funnel and stick some old towels around the (cold) turbocharger/engine cover first.

#18 ·
Badgerface said:
They still make a fookin mess though, far better to use a funnel and stick some old towels around the (cold) turbocharger/engine cover first.
LOL sorry I had forum mix-up there, was thinking about my current car (with the filler by diesel filler) not the DS. Yes agree filling the DS with a big bottle was messy. Bit dumb given it is a consumable.

#19 ·
I bought one of the 10L bottles from Halfords and used it with the filler tube they provide. However, I found the large 10L bottle quite cumbersome to position to fill the tank up. So, I now buy the 5L AdBlue bottle from CostCo, which are either £6 or £5 when on offer, and the filler tube from the Halford 10L fits perfectly and they are then really easy to just drop 5L in every time the warning message comes on.

#20 ·
Had the second service done today at the dealer which included topping up the AdBlue, but very surprised to find on the seat besides the 'Edge' oil was two 1.9 litre bottles of AdBlue. OK it's only a few £'s but surprising nonetheless.

#21 ·
EYR said:
Had the second service done today at the dealer which included topping up the AdBlue, but very surprised to find on the seat besides the 'Edge' oil was two 1.9 litre bottles of AdBlue. OK it's only a few £'s but surprising nonetheless.
The stores person probably put them on the seat for the Technician, and he clearly forgot to remove them! 😄 Either that, or you have an extremely rare, yet competent caring dealer. Keep them onside would be my advice!

#22 ·
Badgerface said:
EYR said:
The stores person probably put them on the seat for the Technician, and he clearly forgot to remove them! 😄 Either that, or you have an extremely rare, yet competent caring dealer. Keep them onside would be my advice!
I can see that as a possibility also :lol: first thing I checked before leaving was the remaining mileage with the AdBlue to ensure it was topped up, but before that on payment for the service, it was the advisor that said "I'll just go and bring your car around and will put a couple of bottles on your seat for future use".

#23 ·
EYR said:
Badgerface said:
EYR said:
I can see that as a possibility also :lol: first thing I checked before leaving was the remaining mileage with the AdBlue to ensure it was topped up, but before that on payment for the service, it was the advisor that said "I'll just go and bring your car around and will put a couple of bottles on your seat for future use".
Wow - name and praise!

#24 ·
I've had a complementary bottle of oil in the past (useful for topping up as our oil appears to be available to dealers only), and also a complementary bottle of LR branded WD40. Seems to be no rhyme or reason to it though. Useful to have those Adblue bottles as you can turn one into a screw-in funnel for topping up with a larger bottle.

#25 ·
Dashnine said:
EYR said:
Badgerface said:
Wow - name and praise!
Hatfields in Hull, always treated me OK with two previous FL2's and hopefully will continue with the DS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.