Discovery Sport Forum banner

New Landmark Ordered today

8K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  jayd95 
#1 ·
Ordered my Landmark (in white) today from Vardy in Aberdeen. Upon ordering I was told that the contrasting grey roof is no longer an available as they have to send it through the paint shop twice and can't be arsed or whatever to do this any longer. I'm getting a grey roof from car from stock but thought others might want to know if they're on the brink of ordering.

#2 ·
😂 seems like an odd statement for them to make. Not really sure why they even need to divulge this information to you. So long as you get the car you ordered in the colours you ordered does it matter?

#4 ·
They're desperate to sell you a car they have in stock, as otherwise they have to buy it off LR after 60 or 90 days. They don't want you ordering a car off the line with options you want (if you are wanting options) when they have a car they need to shift.

#5 ·
Seemed legit, as I'm not really botherd about lead times It wasn't a big deal for me. As you say, I have the car I want so it's fine in that regard. It would be interesting to see if anyone else is being told the same.

#6 ·
What an odd statement to make! Have you REALLY got the car that you REALLY want?

#8 ·
Dub90 said:
I work at Halewood and up until last year I worked in the contrast roof booth.
That's interesting, I saw a video of how Mini do the contrast roof at Oxford and they tape the car off to spray the roof. I thought that's both expensive in labour and wasteful in materials, there must be a better way using shrouds or something that move in and cover the car while the roofs being sprayed. But sometimes the basic way is the best (cost, quality, etc.) way.

Can you share how LR do it?

This is the Mini way (albeit a few years ago now):

#9 ·
I'm not sure how they do it but it's a 2 part paint process no matter how it's done. I'd agree it's both expensive and time consuming. Given that's it free on the the Landmark I can only guess that they've removed this as a cost saving initiative, which n turn could also be linked to the job losses?

#10 ·
Kruddler said:
I'm not sure how they do it but it's a 2 part paint process no matter how it's done. I'd agree it's both expensive and time consuming. Given that's it free on the the Landmark I can only guess that they've removed this as a cost saving initiative, which n turn could also be linked to the job losses?
It's still on the configurator, and is one of the key features that distinguishes a Landmark. Dealers have been know to, how shall I say - spin the odd yarn?

#11 ·
Badgerface said:
What an odd statement to make! Have you REALLY got the car that you REALLY want?

I do, I should point out that the deal was done and signed when he shared this. He had nothing to gain by telling me this, in truth he risked losing the deal as I'd have cancelled if it was to be a one colour car.

#12 ·
2/3 of our cars are contrast roof. It's not been removed. The cars go through the full paint process, then before contrast cars leave the paint shop they are diverted into the masking booth where they are taped up with very thin bags exposing the roof, which takes around 3 minutes a car. They then go through a small spray booth, are de-bagged and then travel through an oven. They are then inspected and leave the paint shop.

#13 ·
Dub90 said:
2/3 of our cars are contrast roof. It's not been removed. The cars go through the full paint process, then before contrast cars leave the paint shop they are diverted into the masking booth where they are taped up with very thin bags exposing the roof, which takes around 3 minutes a car. They then go through a small spray booth, are de-bagged and then travel through an oven. They are then inspected and leave the paint shop.

Thanks for the update, I'll be interested to see if the information from the dealer is correct. Having already made the sale I really don't see what he had to gain by telling me this.

#14 ·
His gain, as well as getting the sale will be to shift existing stock that they had already purchased, probably at a spot buy rate, thus making significantly more GP on the deal.

#15 ·
Dub90 said:
Just signed up and this comment made me smile. I work at Halewood and up until last year I worked in the contrast roof booth. The dealer is talking rubbish! :D
Welcome aboard by the way, always good to have a JLR member, particularly working at the plant that they come out of. 👍

#16 ·
Badgerface said:
Dub90 said:
Just signed up and this comment made me smile. I work at Halewood and up until last year I worked in the contrast roof booth. The dealer is talking rubbish! :D
Welcome aboard by the way, always good to have a JLR member, particularly working at the plant that they come out of. 👍
Cheers. Obviously I'll have to be careful what I say but to be honest I've got nothing negative to say anyway. I work with a lot of good people that are proud of the product 👍

#17 ·
My wife and I had a tour of the Halewood plant just before our DS was ready, 2.5 years ago, very impressive place and we enjoyed it.

#18 ·
Dashnine said:
Dub90 said:
I work at Halewood and up until last year I worked in the contrast roof booth.
That's interesting, I saw a video of how Mini do the contrast roof at Oxford and they tape the car off to spray the roof. I thought that's both expensive in labour and wasteful in materials, there must be a better way using shrouds or something that move in and cover the car while the roofs being sprayed. But sometimes the basic way is the best (cost, quality, etc.) way.

Can you share how LR do it?

This is the Mini way (albeit a few years ago now):

Just wanted to add, the paint is sprayed at high pressure. Any pin hole gaps in the masking will result in overspray down the sides of the car. It has to be completely sealed. The only feasible way to do this is with masking tape. It also needs to be something that peels of easily to eliminate touch damage to the wet paint.

#20 ·
Way318 said:
I can confirm that Halewood are still doing contrast roofs and can't understand why the dealer would say something so ridiculous.

I've also ordered a Landmark in white and is due to get built end of Feb.

Yep, i agree it makes no sense but then applying logic when dealing with car salesmen is a dangerous game......

#22 ·
Just been told that my landmark has arrived at the dealers and low and behold no contrasting roof. I was told when ordering that it may not have one as some of the latest orders had been arriving without contrasting roofs. It's really interesting to see that the configuration tool on land Rovers website clearly list the contrasting roof as a distinguishing feature of the vehicle. Not happy as a result trade descriptions act springs to mind?

#23 ·
As mentioned in other posts on the forum, the contrast roof was changed from standard to a no cost option (due to the plant being over capacity for contrast roof, as its add a significant amount of time in painting a body). So when ordering the dealer had to make sure they had selected the contrast roof option, otherwise like in yours and other peoples cases it will get a body coloured roof.

But as you correctly point out, the online configurator doesn't allow you to select the option.

I believe some dealers have been painting the roof foc.

You are within your right to cancel and if you suggest that to the dealer, they may offer to paint it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#24 ·
Way318 said:
As mentioned in other posts on the forum, the contrast roof was changed from standard to a no cost option (due to the plant being over capacity for contrast roof, as its add a significant amount of time in painting a body). So when ordering the dealer had to make sure they had selected the contrast roof option, otherwise like in yours and other peoples cases it will get a body coloured roof.

But as you correctly point out, the online configurator doesn't allow you to select the option.

I believe some dealers have been painting the roof foc.

You are within your right to cancel and if you suggest that to the dealer, they may offer to paint it.

But if your dealer does select the contrast roof no cost option, the slot for delivery will disappear, so becomes effectively unavailable for the foreseeable. So in reality it's not really an option to have the contrast roof from the factory any more (at least not for the moment).

#25 ·
I assume that may of only have happened if the factory was already at its capacity for contrast roof, but if factory had capacity to do it, it would have given a build slot. It will happen now as factory order books for current DS are closed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.