JLR job losses

All Discovery Sport related discussions
gazb84

JLR job losses

Post by gazb84 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:52 pm

So perhaps the unsurprising news a lot of people expected regarding job losses at JLR UK.

Amazes me that despite their difficulties they haven’t been able to fulfil recent order books (such as the Stratstone Velar deal that dragged on for months with confirmed build slots)

Anyone thinking this will impact on production in the short term in terms of orders placed?

I see it’s another blame Brexit situation, but we’ll leave politics for another forum!
MY19 Discovery Sport Landmark Edition
Build date 2/2/19 🤞🏻
Corris Grey
Side steps/running boards
ACC + Queue assist
Blind spot and reverse traffic monitoring
Entertainment Pack + Incontrol Pro
USB’s everywhere!
LR Service Plan

simon

Re: JLR job losses

Post by simon » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:35 pm

Looks like Ford are pegged to announce job loses in Europe also.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46821571
There are far better forums to be welcomed at than this one that locks threads because certain members can’t take a bit of criticism :roll:

TeddyBear

Post by TeddyBear » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:50 pm

Buy British is the answer. But obviously now that means no Discovery, no Defender and no I-pace. What is a boy to do?

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:57 pm

TeddyBear wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:50 pm
Buy British is the answer. But obviously now that means no Discovery, no Defender and no I-pace. What is a boy to do?
Or E-Pace, made in Austria with the I-Pace.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

wardie

Post by wardie » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:03 pm

TeddyBear wrote:Buy British is the answer. But obviously now that means no Discovery, no Defender and no I-pace. What is a boy to do?
McLaren? Was there this week, very nice - sadly not as a client!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gone: MY16 2.0 TD4 180 HSE Auto, Corris grey, ebony leather, 19" style 902, detachable tow bar, silver roof rails, memory seats, InControl plus & secure, traffic sign recognition, HomeLink, USBs passenger shelf & 2nd row, service plan

roadster

Post by roadster » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:18 am

gazb84 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:52 pm
So perhaps the unsurprising news a lot of people expected regarding job losses at JLR UK.

Amazes me that despite their difficulties they haven’t been able to fulfil recent order books (such as the Stratstone Velar deal that dragged on for months with confirmed build slots)

Anyone thinking this will impact on production in the short term in terms of orders placed?

I see it’s another blame Brexit situation, but we’ll leave politics for another forum!
A particularly good point in the current febrile environment. All of the manufacturers with UK plant are talking non stop about the importance of "Just on Time" production, but this doesn't apply to customer delivery from them which is seldom less than 3 months and often six months or more.
They can demand component delivery on an hourly schedule but expect customers to wait for months for their output. That is why its so easy to halt production when its economically viable. It just means committed customers have to wait an extra month for the vehicle they have specified. JLR are by no means the worst offenders.
2018 MY Diesel auto 180 SE tech

Badgerface

Post by Badgerface » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:45 am

Yes, as displayed by Herr Speth on Midlands news last night in an in-depth interview. He was asked about the JIT implications of leaving the EU with no deal, and has already confessed to stockpiling components to tide the business over until April....after that, he claims production will shut down within days if no deal is struck. Part of me thinks that he is taking his orders directly from Frau Merkel, and saying parrot fashion exactly what she wants him to say.

The situation is very clear. Take the deal that is on offer (which is far from ideal) or leave without one. Stop blaming what might happen on Brexit, and damn well get on with it. Then once we have left, shut down the entire corrupt greedy political system, disband it, reform it and start again from scratch. I for one am bloody sick of hearing about project fear and the "what ifs", and would rather meet the challenge head on as and when it happens. Blaming something that hasn't happened yet on piss-poor management is cowardly at best.
17MY HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian Audio
13MY HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
12MY HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

gazb84

Post by gazb84 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:51 am

Badgerface wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:45 am
Yes, as displayed by Herr Speth on Midlands news last night in an in-depth interview. He was asked about the JIT implications of leaving the EU with no deal, and has already confessed to stockpiling components to tide the business over until April....after that, he claims production will shut down within days if no deal is struck. Part of me thinks that he is taking his orders directly from Frau Merkel, and saying parrot fashion exactly what she wants him to say.

The situation is very clear. Take the deal that is on offer (which is far from ideal) or leave without one. Stop blaming what might happen on Brexit, and damn well get on with it. Then once we have left, shut down the entire corrupt greedy political system, disband it, reform it and start again from scratch. I for one am bloody sick of hearing about project fear and the "what ifs", and would rather meet the challenge head on as and when it happens. Blaming something that hasn't happened yet on piss-poor management is cowardly at best.
Bloody well said Sir.

Project fear at its best. Let’s get big business to scare the shit out of the public with redundancies that may never happen. Or perhaps were needed anyway and Brexit it is just a better excuse than saying mismanagement. (I think the latter is the real real reason for a lot of the blame Brexit propaganda from big business - Brexit it is a great get out of jail free card for them)

The sooner we are out, preferably on a WTO no deal basis than the one on the table, the better, in my opinion.
MY19 Discovery Sport Landmark Edition
Build date 2/2/19 🤞🏻
Corris Grey
Side steps/running boards
ACC + Queue assist
Blind spot and reverse traffic monitoring
Entertainment Pack + Incontrol Pro
USB’s everywhere!
LR Service Plan

Badgerface

Post by Badgerface » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:25 pm

The facts laid bare, not that any of us weren't aware of this as soon as the factory was mooted back in 2015....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... tener.html
17MY HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian Audio
13MY HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
12MY HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

Ian_S

Post by Ian_S » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:59 pm

Well, come 29th March JLR will presumably be able accept any bribe from within the EU without having to worry at all about the impact on the UK. They can then enter into a full on bidding war with the UK Gov, on how badly they want to keep the jobs in the UK...

Project fear vs project ignorance frankly. :o
MY2016 HSE TD4 180

Return to “Main Discovery Sport chat”