Drive .. Park .. EPB .. help :-)

All Discovery Sport related discussions
DazDisco

Drive .. Park .. EPB .. help :-)

Post by DazDisco » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:59 pm

This is my first automatic car and I think I'm supposed to be putting it in Park when I pull up at some traffic lights if they're going to be red for a while, but having to look down to make sure I get Drive and not Sport or Neutral when i set off is a bit of a faff, would just pulling the EPB on do the same thing as switching to Park or is there more to it ?
Thanks
Daz
2019 Disco Sport SE Tech 2.0D Auto 4x4 5 seat
Xenon Pack | ATPC | LKA | ACC with Queue Assist |TSR | Surround Camera System

BobbyBox

Re: Drive .. Park .. EPB .. help :-)

Post by BobbyBox » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:22 pm

Hi there,
Bring the car to a halt with the foot brake and you can just use the EPB whilst at a standstill in D (Drive) or S (Sport). The vehicle will remain stationary until you press the accelerator when it will automatically release the EPB.
I don't bother putting it into P (Park) whilst I'm stationary in traffic only for a short time (e.g. queues, traffic lights etc). If it were a longer period (e.g. standstill tailback after an accident) then I would put the vehicle in P (Park).
Using the EPB in this way is more considerate that holding the vehicle using the foot brake as the brake lights are not on the whole time potentially dazzling drivers behind.

BB
Discovery Sport 2.0 HSE TD4 (180) MY16, Auto, Loire Blue, Almond Interior, Adaptive Xenons, Roof Rails, Spare Wheel, flaps, privacy glass, memory pack, travall dog guard. Built Oct 2015.

Bomber209

Post by Bomber209 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:51 pm

Hi, I usually select EPB 'ON' and then select 'N'. When ready to go it's easy to reselect 'D', I'm sure there's a warning in the Driver's Handbook, not to stay in 'D' to long with EPB 'ON'. As BobbyBox says once you select 'D' just drive off.
Ex: Srs 2A & 3, RR Classic & Vogue, Defender 90, Disco 300Tdi, FreeLander 1.
Now: Disco Sport SE Tech. Auto :D :D

gazb84

Post by gazb84 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:47 pm

If it’s one thing I’m gonna to miss about my Merc it’s going to be the auto hold function by firm pressing the foot brake. All sounds like a faff messing with EPB and changing drive to to P or N. 1st world problem in overall scheme of things I guess. Hopefully the queue assist feature will do all the stopping starting and braking/holding I need on the daily grind!
MY19 Discovery Sport Landmark Edition
Build date 2/2/19 🤞🏻
Corris Grey
ACC + Queue assist
Blind spot and reverse traffic monitoring
Entertainment Pack + Incontrol Pro
USB’s everywhere!
Service Pack

DiscoDriver

Post by DiscoDriver » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:05 pm

There is no problem using the EPB with D or S selected. It doesn’t cook the transmission etc. However, it is good practice for a long stop to switch to N.

Being stopped with the foot brake for too long isn’t good for a number of reasons, eg distracting the driver behind with brake lights, not letting the disc brakes cool etc. It is also worth mentioning that the EPB only operates on the rear wheels.

With STOP/START enabled what you will notice is that when in D or S and stopping with the foot brake the engine will cut. Engaging the EPB and lifting your foot off the brake, the engine will restart.
If you switch to N before lifting your foot off the brake, the engine will remain stopped until you select D or S and release the foot brake.

This is perfectly normal and mimics a manual car with STOP/START.

Incidentally, if you turn the gear selector all the way anti clockwise you will be in P and all the way clickwise you will be in D. You have to push down as turn for S. That way you don’t have to look down :-)

Canuk

Post by Canuk » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:50 pm

Driven an automatic for over 50 years and unless I am waiting for a freight train to pass by I never take the car out of drive. Nor have I ever been in a vehicle that an other driver has placed car in park. Taken several drivers courses when using different company cars and all instructors say it is safer to leave in drive.

I worry when the car in front does not have brake lights on when stopped.
Blue Disco 2016
2 litre turbo petrol
5 seater

DiscoDriver

Post by DiscoDriver » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:37 pm

IAM advise to put the car in P when on a long stop (eg lights just turned to red). The Roadcraft book is a good read for how to drive safely.

DiscoDriver

Post by DiscoDriver » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:41 pm

The Highway Code is also a good read:

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/lightin ... ments.html

“In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.
Law RVLR reg 27”

Canuk

Post by Canuk » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:07 pm

DiscoDriver wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:41 pm
The Highway Code is also a good read:

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/lightin ... ments.html

“In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.
Law RVLR reg 27”
Sounds like something from the EU :lol:
Blue Disco 2016
2 litre turbo petrol
5 seater

Badgerface

Post by Badgerface » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:14 pm

The Highway Code is just that - a code. It is not an arbitrary set of rules, that is the purpose of the Road Traffic Act.

You will note that the Highway Code will refer to the words 'drivers should' (which is optional), and 'drivers must', which if not obeyed is likely to be seen by a Traffic Cop as a contravention of a Rule which forms part of the latter.

The Highway Code makes reference to various parts of legislation (including the RTA). Where a particular part of legislation is referenced, the Highway Code either states "You MUST...", or "You MUST NOT..."

If the Code is simply giving guidance or advice, it states "You SHOULD...", or "You SHOULD NOT..."

As such, the Code is not (in and of itself) part of the legislature, but it is a "handy" collection of the most pertinent points of legislation relating to road safety, together with some overall guidance.

As an example scenario, if the Code stated "You should not enter the area unless it is necessary and you can see that it is safe to do so."

As such, it is making no reference to a particular piece of legislation and the information is given as guidance.

Nevertheless, I suspect that if you were to cause an accident by NOT following a piece of guidance found within the Code (i.e. in this particular scenario, you entered the cross hatching and caused an accident by doing so), the fact you ignored explicit guidance within the code would do you no favours....
MY17 HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian Audio
MY13 HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
MY12 HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

Return to “Main Discovery Sport chat”