SD Card Map Update

All Discovery Sport related discussions
Simol

SD Card Map Update

Post by Simol » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:03 pm

I recently paid £90.00 to update the map SD card for my three-year-old DS.

Does anyone know at what point maps should be updated, because £90.00 is a lot of money to update the maps if there has been little change in the road network? (Is this a 'how long is a piece of string' question?'
HSE 180 Auto Ingenium in Scotia Grey/Black. Privacy glass. Fixed tow bar. Delivered October 2015

XES Owner

Re: SD Card Map Update

Post by XES Owner » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:16 pm

There's not enough space in the Universe to contain that length of string !
I would think that in answer to your question you should take into account where you live (i.e. are there many changes to the local road infrastructure) and how far you regularly travel from home.
As a general statement, for not much more than you paid, you can get a Tom Tom or Garmin Sat. Nav. that comes with lifetime map updates. OK it's not part of the car but doesn't look too much out of place mounted on the dash (err see BMW) or windscreen.
9 weeks ago I picked up a 2019 Discovery Sport and guess what the Sat. Nav. was out of date !! I know I can get the first 3 years' updates free but you'd think a new car would come with the latest map version.
Hence my opinion - the £90 update is a rip off.
Awaiting delivery of DS Si4 290 in Narvic Black. Anticipated 31/07/2018 - Hmm, now end of Septembert for a MY19 version @ MY18 price.
Jaguar XE S in Ultimate Black with lots of toys
Number plate X3 *** for Jaguar XE and X4 *** for DS 4 X 4

Whooooooosh

Post by Whooooooosh » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:54 am

My commute to work takes me through a number of recent road changes, some of which have been put in to take traffic away from residential areas. Prior to updating the maps my satnav with an old map knew nothing of these and would go into a panic mode of saying telling me to make a U-turn as it showed me driving through fields.

Luckily my recently acquired DS is new enough that it is still covered by free updates until 2020 and since installing the latest map all of the routing issues have been fixed.

If I didn't benefit from free updates would I have paid £90 to stop the satnav panic mode ? - Yes

Would I then pay again when the next housing estate goes up or they reroute the A350 ? - Probably

Having said that if I needed to update more than once a year I'd probably turn to the Google Maps option on a mobile as it is, in my opinion, a very good free to use alternative.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE LUX - Aintree Green + Cream Leather

roadster

Post by roadster » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:11 am

I got one free update for the standard Sat Nav but after just over twelve months from new it now expects £90 as you say. If it was any good I might be willing to pay but as its the most useless I have ever seen ( in terms of map display quality and ease of use ) I won't bother. Even when it was updated it was still way behind in new road detail and it doesn't have any kind of speed camera alerts. As for those useless blue balloons that randomly float around on the map...
2018 MY Diesel auto 180 SE tech

Funkster

Post by Funkster » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:48 pm

Ive had my DS since jun 15. No free updates and just had my 2nd £90 map update. Not sure how up to date the map is, i think it is still early 17!!! So not great. I do have a TomTom satnav for my motorbike, but I use the DS satnav which has been ok but not as comprehensive as the TomTom.

I dont think that many of the vehicle manufacturers really have a great satnav service. We have a Peugeot and despite 3 years free updates, the map hasn't been update for nearly a year.
Funkster :)

2015 Land Rover Discovery Sport 2.2D 150 TD4 SE. Firenze Red Contrast Black Roof. Navigation, privacy glass, front and rear sensors, 18" 10 split spoke wheels.

The Highlander

Post by The Highlander » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:03 pm

The Disco has a three year monthly map update. If anything, it’s a pain to download 25gb complete maps each month.

Hillwalker

Post by Hillwalker » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:43 pm

As far as I know my Sat Nav hasn't been updated since 2015. Do I have to do something to update it or is it an auto function? My warranty runs out in 3 days so if there is a free update I ought to get it.
SE Tech, 150, Ingenium, Firenze Red, Ebony interior, Privacy Glass, Service Pack. Rear View Camera, Spare Wheel.

The Highlander

Post by The Highlander » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:30 pm

I seem to recall one or two owners got free updates a couple of years back, think it was a glitch, then LR defaulted to their usual if you purchased a short time ago, yes a free update, if not you didn’t and had to fork out for an update. I suspect you’d come into the latter.

Return to “Main Discovery Sport chat”