Halogen lights replacement advice

All Discovery Sport related discussions
Barnsh

Re: Halogen lights replacement advice

Post by Barnsh » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:05 pm

Plus if you don’t have self levelling:
Imagine driving up a slope /hill and you meet some poor bod with halogens on the brow of the hill. He’s blinded as he’s waiting for you to twiddle the knob to drop your lights.

Incidentally my old Volvo had self levelling HID , coming back from the swimming pool every day at the same time , I met the same old codger in his SKoda with Halogens coming the other way . I blinded him daily as my right hand light didn’t drop the beam as quickly as the left one ( sticky light mounting) .

Not saying not to do it , it’s your car after all , but thinking it through is it really worthwhile.?

Modified for Insurance
Could fail MOT
No longer meets type approval
Could blind someone and cause an accident.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Sparky007

Post by Sparky007 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:03 am

Clear as mud then.

Thanks for everyone's input - I've learnt loads but inevitably that's come with more questions and frustration. Love the car, lights are a disappointment but not to the point I need to become a lighting renegade and spend any more time on this!

Think it best I stick with halogens, will keep an eye out for some with whiter colour and improved lumens (<2000lm of course!). From a previous post in this threat, my standard DS ones look to be around 1300lm, so all things considered scope for decent improvement).

Sparky.

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:08 am

Sparky007 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:03 am
Clear as mud then.

Thanks for everyone's input - I've learnt loads but inevitably that's come with more questions and frustration. Love the car, lights are a disappointment but not to the point I need to become a lighting renegade and spend any more time on this!

Think it best I stick with halogens, will keep an eye out for some with whiter colour and improved lumens (<2000lm of course!). From a previous post in this threat, my standard DS ones look to be around 1300lm, so all things considered scope for decent improvement).

Sparky.
Yes mate !
100%
Why oh why in this day and age, do JLR fit candies to head lights, then fit AEB , lane keep assist , rest of safety stuff,,,,, at vast expense etc etc is just crap ! Seeing and being seen is the main thing they overlooked.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Troon

Post by Troon » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:58 pm

It's in the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations (1989):
RVLR wrote:Filament lamps
14.—(1) Where a motor vehicle first used on or after 1st April 1986 or any trailer manufactured on or after 1st October 1985 is equipped with any lamp of a type that is required by any Schedule to these Regulations to be marked with an approval mark, no filament lamp other than a filament lamp referred to in the Designation of Approval Marks Regulations in–

(a) regulation 4 and Schedule 2, items 2 or 2A, 8, 20, 37 or 37A; or
(b) regulation 5 and Schedule 4, item 18,

shall be fitted to any such lamp.
Yes, this pre-dates HID kits and LEDs, but the basic premise is that you're only allowed to fit an approved e-marked bulb to a lamp assembly that is approval-marked (all of the core lamps on the car). That's the legal position. If you can find an e-marked LED replacement, you're good to go - but you won't be able to.

From a practical regard, you simply will not find an LED replacement that delivers the same light output as a halogen in the same shape as the filament to match the reflector. It wouldn't be possible due to the heat performance of LEDs: whilst a filament can happily run at well over 2000degC, LEDs pack up at around 70degC. OEM LED assemblies include a large area of LED emitters with specifically-designed optics and a load of cooling to dump the heat that's generated. LEDs may be 10x more efficient than bulbs, but they're still only about 10% efficient at converting electricity to light: the rest goes as heat and must be controlled.
Mark
DS HSE 180PS diesel auto, Byron / Cirrus, towbar

MrGray

Post by MrGray » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:38 pm

They must’ve used the halogens to have some DS that look less premium than the range rovers.

As for changing colors, I have seen and did purchase for my Mazda when I had one, bulbs that had the glass tinted blue. This gave a slightly whiter look for the high beams when the low was white HID. I’m not sure if they were bright, but they were certainly cheap. When off, you could see the blue in the reflector, which was an interesting look too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kitzie

Post by Kitzie » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:22 am

I swapped my low beam standard bubs for one of the 150% more light variety halogens and noticed a better low beam spread already.

My gripe is, the hand book instructions recommends taken out grill then the lens casing moves forward 4.5cm for access etc......Didn't have to do any of that to get to; low beam, high beam bulbs. Access for these bulbs is easy with no removal of any grill etc.....the only bulbs with very limited access to are the indicator bulbs. Fingers X I won't have to change that one any time soon ;)
Fuji white 5+2 noisy kids, panoramic sunroof, roof rails, detachable tow (works great with Buzz rack quattro 4 bike) + a flux capacitor

VeryDiscoSport

Post by VeryDiscoSport » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:41 pm

The tinted H15 bulbs shift the colour away from yellow because they filter out some proportion of the green and red wavelength light produced by standard halogens - it's exactly what Osram does with the Cool Ice White version of the 64176. They state clearly in the bulb's technical documentation that it has reduced lumens having also admitted in the footnote to the marketing BS that people only subjectively perceive the light as being brighter. It's amazing how gullible people can be. What usually makes drivers accept the con is that it makes the 15W daytime running lights look more hi-tech and "cool". Its OK I suppose, but only so long as you never plan to drive at night in heavy rain on unlit B roads.

The DS dipped beams are a different matter: by using a different filament/gas/glass combination most H7 bulb upgrades are genuinely brighter. But everything comes at a cost and in this case it's a hotter bulb and significantly reduced life. In the end I was so desperate for better lights that I, too, got some more powerful (legal) H7s from Halfords and also set the main beams a bit lower - at least that way the near and mid distances were reasonably well lit for back road driving in my urban habitat. I was never truly happy with the compromise but at least I felt reasonably safe when it mattered.

Why is there no equivalent H15? Maybe it's something to do with the dual filaments, I never found a satisfactory explanation. Hope you keep safe with the new brighter dipped beams.
17MY DS150PS 6 speed manual. Rejected as "not of satisfactory quality", "not as described", Consumer Rights Act 2015.

cartrucks

Post by cartrucks » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:01 am

VeryDiscoSport wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:41 pm
The tinted H15 bulbs shift the colour away from yellow because they filter out some proportion of the green and red wavelength light produced by standard halogens - it's exactly what Osram does with the Cool Ice White version of the 64176. They state clearly in the bulb's technical documentation that it has reduced lumens having also admitted in the footnote to the marketing BS that people only subjectively perceive the light as being brighter. It's amazing how gullible people can be. What usually makes drivers accept the con is that it makes the 15W daytime running lights look more hi-tech and "cool". Its OK I suppose, but only so long as you never plan to drive at night in heavy rain on unlit B roads.

The DS dipped beams are a different matter: by using a different filament/gas/glass combination most H7 bulb upgrades are genuinely brighter. But everything comes at a cost and in this case it's a hotter bulb and significantly reduced life. In the end I was so desperate for better lights that I, too, got some more powerful (legal) H7s from Halfords and also set the main beams a bit lower - at least that way the near and mid distances were reasonably well lit for back road driving in my urban habitat. I was never truly happy with the compromise but at least I felt reasonably safe when it mattered.

Why is there no equivalent H15? Maybe it's something to do with the dual filaments, I never found a satisfactory explanation. Hope you keep safe with the new brighter dipped beams.
How did you set the headlights lower? I’ve looked but never found a screw or switch. I’m assuming you mean the H11 bulbs as H7s are used for high beams.
DS Santorini Black SE

Kitzie

Post by Kitzie » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:53 am

H7 are low beams....H15 are high beam.

The dial for setting low beam on my car is far right, near door hinge.
Fuji white 5+2 noisy kids, panoramic sunroof, roof rails, detachable tow (works great with Buzz rack quattro 4 bike) + a flux capacitor

Troon

Post by Troon » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:50 pm

VeryDiscoSport wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:41 pm
More on this here: an old but still valid article.
Mark
DS HSE 180PS diesel auto, Byron / Cirrus, towbar

Return to “Main Discovery Sport chat”