Halogen lights replacement advice

All Discovery Sport related discussions
Sparky007

Halogen lights replacement advice

Post by Sparky007 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:57 pm

Not had the DS for long (SE Tech), all great but I’m not liking the driving and main lights are standard halogen and ‘warm white’. Strangely, the front fogs are a bright cool white colour (LEDs?).

In an ideal world I’d like to swap the light unit/clusters out for the HID versions that come with the HSE models. However other threads (mostly quite old) have suggested this is just about impossible due to requirements for self levelling and washers which are not present on my car.

So, the next best is to try and match the driving and main lights to the fog lights (in colour), and to hopefully gain some lumens to boot with decent led replacements.

There are some threads that discuss this, but are mostly a few years old now. Can anyone offer any advice on what lights to look at.... considering light colour match, lumens, minimum wattage issues with LEDs and thoughts about ‘can bus’ issues.

Thanks, Sparky.

roydonaldson

Re: Halogen lights replacement advice

Post by roydonaldson » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:27 pm

First thing I would do would be to replace the standard halogen bulbs with something better. Do a Google search for the latest autoexpress halogen bulb upgrade review. You can easily buy much much better halogens and do a straight bulb swap over in minutes.

Roy
2017 Discovery Pro, HSE, Nav Pro.

Sparky007

Post by Sparky007 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:35 pm

Thanks for the reply and also link to autoexpress. Whilst the halogens tested show some improved brightness and may be a little whiter colour, many reviews think them still towards the ‘yellow’ end of the colour scale. I’d discounted halogens for that reason (can you get cool/white halogens?).

Sparky.

Sparky007

Post by Sparky007 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:42 pm

I’m hoping to replace the standard halogens with a colour to match that close to the fog lights which to my eye are a much nicer white colour. Not that you have fogs on much but the colour is great and a lot less old fashioned looking for something matching for the driving and main lights. I’m guessing LEDs at around 6000k would be about right?

Sparky.

VeryDiscoSport

Post by VeryDiscoSport » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:11 am

I went down this road and found a dead end. Osram Nightbreaker was said by many to be the way to go but this bulb is still not available with the H15 base. The most powerful (lumens-wise) bulb is the Osram 64176 but that's already the OEM's choice - at least it was on my SE Tech. That leaves Osram Cool Blue Intense which looks good on paper until you look beyond the marketing hype.... viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4191&p=66077#p66011
GPS01_1056960_COOL_BLUE_INTENSE.pdf
(169.7 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
17MY DS150PS 6 speed manual. Rejected as "not of satisfactory quality", "not as described", Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:11 am

There’s nothing for the new MOT for LED lights, only HID.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... -draft.pdf
However, construction and use regs do make LED conversion illegal unless you change the entire enclosure.

In other wards you are not complying with type approval for the vehicle.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:14 am

Plus one conversion already burnt out the cars loom on both an FPace and an Epoque.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Bomber209

Post by Bomber209 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:54 pm

Hi, you'll need to retro fit the system for HID's, ballast resistors etc. Also think about the auto levelling part of it. I looked into it and figured I'd leave it until one of the lamps blow.
Ex: Srs 2A & 3, RR Classic & Vogue, Defender 90, Disco 300Tdi, FreeLander 1.
Now: Disco Sport SE Tech. Auto :D :D

MrGray

Post by MrGray » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:30 pm

Beware of LEDs. The light source is certainly different than halogen, so the reflection pattern will be different. While there may be more light output, it will be shining on the ground where you can’t see as well as up into the trees and other drivers’ faces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparky007

Post by Sparky007 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:42 pm

I considered swap out of the whole signature light clusters/fittings but as this comes with additional practical, safety and warranty issues I’ve given up on that.

Not sure what the issue with swap out of the halogens for LEDs is though? Assuming the lux/lumen output is similar (not too much over or under) and the colour temp meets that ‘white’ then what’s the problem? LEDs apparently last longer than both hids and halogen, most other auto lighting has swapped from halogen/filament to LEDs. I could see a problem if the led fitting and the actual diodes were very differently positioned in the lamp housing (out of alignment with reflectors). But I should imagine the lamp manufacturers have considered that?

I’m simply trying to get a few more lumens and a change of light colour from my main lights and drl’s to more white/match the fog lamps. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Sparky.

Return to “Main Discovery Sport chat”