Discovery Sport Forum banner

Servicing question

11K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  Dashnine 
#1 ·
I (think) I understand that while my vehicle is within the warranty period I can have it serviced outside the dealer network and still maintain the warranty status but can the wise folks on here just confirm that's the case?

If it is, I assume I'll have to source OEM vehicle parts whenever they are needed, which I would be inclined to do in any case. That will include service parts like brake pads and discs and filters, but.....

.....when it comes to adblue and engine oil, I'll be changing/adding this much more frequently than required and I was wondering if someone can post links to suitable products.

I'm aware that there are specs for each of these but rather then re-inventing the wheel I was hoping to follow in the footsteps of people who have trod this path before and source high quality oil and adblue that meeets (or exceeds) LR requirements.

Fingers crossed.

regards

The Spaniel

See less See more
#2 ·
Re. engine oil, the wxactly recommended Castrol Edge Professional 0W-30 is hard to get as a retail customer (supposedly shipped in bulk to dealers). I am using Shell Helix ULtra Professional that meets the JLR standard; you can buy here:
https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-162055-shell-helix-ultra-professional-aj-l-0w-30-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

I have a service plan so ADblue top-ups are free at the dealer for me but there seems to be plenty of supplies about - I cannot comment on makes and specs

#3 ·
Chris b said:
Re. engine oil, the wxactly recommended Castrol Edge Professional 0W-30 is hard to get as a retail customer (supposedly shipped in bulk to dealers). I am using Shell Helix ULtra Professional that meets the JLR standard; you can buy here:
https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-162055-shell-helix-ultra-professional-aj-l-0w-30-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

I have a service plan so ADblue top-ups are free at the dealer for me but there seems to be plenty of supplies about - I cannot comment on makes and specs
I followed your Opieoils link and they now have Castrol Edge Professional 0W-30 for sale (5 x 1ltr = £67.99 inc VAT)

#4 ·
Make sure the oil you have found meets the right specification STJLR.03.5007
There are variants of Edge Professional like "LL" (Long Life), developed for BMW, that do not necessarily meet the JLR spec.

#6 ·
I've never used Total but they were always recommended by Peugeot and used in its Motorsport programmes. If you find some oil, you just need to be sure it meets the JLR spec or they could wriggle out of a warranty claim.

#8 ·
😂😂😂

Didn't someone recently (BFGDS perhaps?) not try this as it appeared to have JLR approval and better long-term longevity? Apologies in advance if it wasn't BFGDS, it might have been one of our Aussie members thinking about it, but I'm sure that they reported further mileage to oil dilution.....I think from memory it was Total Ineo Quartz, and the dealer happily approved it.

Edit: it was a culmination of VDS and Screech, who I think has moved on.

#10 ·
Petronas Syntium 7000E is also compliant with the jlr spec.

BB

#12 ·
While most people on this thread seem to be wanting to find the cheapest oil they can get away with that doesn't affect their warranty, I 'd like to offer a different perspective.

Modern engines are remarkable things if you think about it. They run faultlessly for years and hundreds of thousands of miles (hopefully! ) and the only maintenance they get in all that time is a regular oil & filter change! So, to scrimp on that to save a few bucks is, in my humble opinion, a false economy. Accordingly I actually change my oil every six months, and use the best oil I can get!

All oils are not the same, and even if an oil meets the JLR spec all this means is it hits their minimum standards, it doesn't mean it's the best oil for your engine.

Also, JLR specifies the lowest viscosity oil they can get away with in order to meet fuel economy targets, whereas higher viscosity oil would actually be better for the engine.

I had a long discussion with the technical manager of one of the leading oil analysis companies about what's the best oil to put in my DS for the long term health of the engine, and his recommendation was to go for a higher viscosity and to avoid the cheaper oils even if they met JLR spec. I was surprised by the brands he mentioned as they're not the ones that immediately spring to mind (or have appeared in this thread), but Castrol Edge Professional was third in his list.

#13 ·
And the first two were...?

#17 ·
The Spaniel said:
…..and the viscosity?
In general, thinner oils improve fuel economy, whereas thicker ones protect the engine better. Its a balancing act. Manufacturers tend towards the thinner ones as there is a lot of pressure on them to meet enonomy standards, and by the time the engine wears out it'll be long out of warranty and no concern of theirs!

A lot of people on here seem to flip their cars every few years and/or lease them, so might as well go for the fuel efficiency. I tend to keep my cars for an average ten years so engine life is more of a concern, hence I'm willing to invest in six monthly oil changes and the best oils.

I'm also in Australia and our cars endure different conditions, and specifically in relation to oil viscosity we don't really get cold weather, so can go for a thicker oil to benefit the engine without it turning to treacle in the winter!

So, I'm afraid the numbers I was given won't be relevant for the UK and I can only suggest that you do an oil analysis with Millers or similar and then call them to talk through the results and ask for recommendations of brands, change frequency, and viscosities based on your particular circumstances. If you're lucky they'll be as helpful as my guy who was happy to answer the queries I had, and offered some interesting insights into the effects of DPFs in general, and the oil dilution problem with the Ingenium engine in particular. However, at the end of the day they are just his opinions, albeit from a position of knowledge being in the industry, and I wouldn't be comfortable repeating them on a public forum, so please don't ask.

#18 ·
And I'd just like to add that using higher viscosity oil to start with offers some protection from the viscosity being reduced by fuel dilution ;)

#19 ·
My LR Main Dealer has just carried out my 21000/Year 2 Service and replaced the oil with Shell Helix. Is this a directive from JLR, to move away from Castrol Edge? Or get the customer to "test" the oil on their behalf? Or both....

#21 ·
Badgerface said:
My LR Main Dealer has just carried out my 21000/Year 2 Service and replaced the oil with Shell Helix. Is this a directive from JLR, to move away from Castrol Edge? Or get the customer to "test" the oil on their behalf? Or both....
If it's the one described in the attachment it starts out at a very robust 11.9 cSt at normal operating temperature, compared to only 9.7 cSt for Castrol (lower limit for SAE 30 is 9.3 cSt). BF, could you check if this is the right data sheet because it could mean that JLR have quietly made a change to prevent long-term engine damage due to excessive diesel dilution. JLR can't publicise that for obvious reasons - but the forum could and I think it would be important info for DIY oil changers, or folks using 3rd party oil shops, to have. It's something that JLR engineering were asked about a year ago in the open letter.

VeryDiscoSport said:
e) Regarding ways to compensate for loss of viscosity due to high FIO levels - What would be the maximum viscosity at 100 degrees C (in centistokes, cSt) of a synthetic multi-grade oil suitable for use in the Ingenium turbo diesel? (e.g. would it be acceptable to switch to SAE 0W-40 ?)
f) What, if any, fuel penalty would result from the use of such oil?
Maybe an oil technology change is part of their answer...note the Shell product description about emissions technology and DPF cleanliness. ECT presumably means Emissions Control Technology. I'd say this oil has been designed for precisely this problem.

View attachment Shell Helix_Ultra_ECT_C2_C3_0W-30_TDS.pdf

Attachments

#22 ·
My car is booked in for its first service at the dealer this week.
The car has done 14,500 miles and had one FOC oil and filter change at 7,000 miles. My question is does anyone know what one gets for the £500 plus cost of Service A other than an oil and filter change?
As one does not get a sevice book anymore I can't find anywhere a check list of items that are dealt with during the Sevice A and Service B and what are considered extras e.g. brake fluid change.

#24 ·
At 14,500 miles you should be getting another FOC oil and filter change, not using your service pack service.

#25 ·
This is the service schedule that was handed to me on Friday.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.