Discovery Sport Forum banner

New facelift DS on the horizon

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  simon 
#1 ·
#3 ·
"JLR management is also investing significant effort into connectivity. All future vehicles will be connected to the web 24/7, allowing updated engine software to be automatically downloaded and JLR to monitor vehicle performance and send owners information on unscheduled servicing."

As an owners of 3 x DS's, neither of which could/can its radio and Navigation settings for more than 6 weeks - this prospects fills me with dread!

#5 ·
Quite right, and what about an individual right to a privacy?

Clearly early days and a good press release by JLR for Autocar, but JLR (and anybody else for that matter) seem not to understand the issue with Facebook at the moment that a company has no right to track/watch/see where an individual is going, doing and when they are doing it without consent.

They can send a message saying I require an update (like my Android Play account) but I decide when I download, the thought of a failed software update when driving does not appeal (but if TESLA can do it then maybe (maybe) why not?) especially from a company that is a long way behind its competition (user interfaces and reliability) when it comes to basic in-car infotainment systems.

#7 ·
BFGDSMan said:
Quite right, and what about an individual right to a privacy?

Clearly early days and a good press release by JLR for Autocar, but JLR (and anybody else for that matter) seem not to understand the issue with Facebook at the moment that a company has no right to track/watch/see where an individual is going, doing and when they are doing it without consent.

They can send a message saying I require an update (like my Android Play account) but I decide when I download, the thought of a failed software update when driving does not appeal (but if TESLA can do it then maybe (maybe) why not?) especially from a company that is a long way behind its competition (user interfaces and reliability) when it comes to basic in-car infotainment systems.
Your being tracked by ANPR all the time ;)

I doubt LR want to track owners except when opting in for Journey tracking. Software updates can be done and actioned by the user. Auto download doesn't mean auto update. I imagine you will be notified that an update is available and you are guided through the process.

#8 ·
Presumably they will use the emissions control system which Bosch were plugging last year. Not new technology but tweaking existing systems to get rid of almost all the NOx. I see that all models are likely to have in-line engines which will no doubt help with regenerations!

#10 ·
Unless you've opted in to InControl Remote then that should not happen.

Send data for diagnostics around fule consumption, regenrations etc. would be useful but doesn't need to include and GPS information.

However, that being said, would it be a good thing if the car could recognise journey patterns anf use that information to make a calculated guess as to when any active regens could take place? Your phone is probably already doing this, so what about all the informtion Google and Apple are collecting?

You say ANPR is only used for legitimate reasons, but how do you know with any certainty where the information from these cameras really goes? Have you ever opted in to that information being collected?

I don't know if anyone saw one of the LR Velar videos, but it showed a 'developer' with the two touch screens plugged into some makeshift wiring harness, operating it from the comfort of his chair... it should be using the actual looms to be fitted to cars, and they should only 'use' the system from a cockpit mock up where they'd have to use it like we do. I can't use my right hand to touch virtual buttons in the car... it explains a lot if thtat's how they develop. Also, simple things like hard buttons should be 'confgurable', so in a right hand drive version the home button should be closest to the driver, not furthest away. Swapping should be simple...

I know JLR can't copy things like iDrive, but if you have a up/down/left/right key pad on the wheel, why not be able to use that to navigate the touch screen too? It's little things like that that make the difference for me.

#11 ·
Talking of Velar, I was lucky to be one of those invited to Lode Lane for a launch viewing last year. Another attendee came in his McLaren 750S and having opened the window to speak with the parking reception chaps, when he'd parked it, he could not close the window and the LR staff had to find a cover as it was starting to rain.
He phoned Mclaren from inside, while others gathered and we had a coffee, and by the time we came out of the show-and-tell, McLaren had fixed his car and closed the window remotely - all still under the cover. Clever eh? remote access has its advantages! If only JLR could have pre-empted my needs for DS software patches in the last 3 years...

#12 ·
BFGDSMan said:
Simon,

No issues with ANPR per se as that is for legitimate reasons, however, JLR following my movements is another matter altogether.
Any diagnostic, vehicle or vehicle behaviour information used for their R&D would be anonymised. Only data you opt into sharing could be used anyway. It's the law.

Same as for Google Maps etc etc. You opt in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.