Real World Diesel MPG

All Discovery Sport related discussions
WarriorWorld

Real World Diesel MPG

Post by WarriorWorld » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:33 pm

Hi
Newbie here and about to place an order for my first LR this week, but still have nagging doubts having read this forum over last month or so.
Coming from driving a Diesel BMW420 for last 3 yrs and had no major issues with it, and planning on HSE 180 diesel with a couple of options.

With all the negativity around the DPF problems, got me thinking of jumping back to petrol. With the purchase cost very similar (£5 difference on my best quotes), was wondering what real world MPG people are getting from their diesels. I see people on the forum bouncing around mid 20s - 30 for the petrols.

My dilemma is that its used as a privately funded company vehicle. 18 months ago i was doing 18K a year, so Diesel was a no-brainer. Since a job change within the company, i now work largely from home and done around 4K business and 2k private miles in last year. This would make petrol option the sensible choice, but things could very easily change back if i chose to revert to previous position.

Are the Diesels REALLY that bad, is a once a week 60 minute blast on motorways enough to sort the DPF issue, or am i leaving myself open to a world of pain. I would be taking a Service plan out, but closest dealership for me is 45 mins each way - not the easiest trek to make when working, to be constantly dropping off for oil changes.

So what are you guys averaging on the diesels for low to mid mileage trips.

County

Re: Real World Diesel MPG

Post by County » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:37 pm

I also look forward to hearing members views :idea:
:D B 1984 RR Vouge, Then BMW. Back to LR, H 1991 Disco 1, L 1993 Disco, N 1996 Disco, Y 2001 Disco, 53 Disco 2, 56 Disco 3
MY10 FL2 TD4 XS [Nav], MY13 FL2 TD4 GS Auto
MY15 DS SE Tech Auto Firenze Red 2.2 FL engine!

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:54 pm

I've averaged 32mpg over the last two years, commuting 12 miles each way, odd longer trips mainly A road or Motorway. Accelerating, Hills and Speed kills mpg for the obvious reasons, huge difference in mpg between 70 to 80 mph, it's most happiest on flat A roads at 50-60mph average.

Never had DPF light, regens always completed OK, even on the 12 mile commute (as long as it starts early enough in the trip).

Would consider petrol for the same reasons as you, the actual mpg seem a bit more realistic than the 53mpg for the diesel.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

weemark

Post by weemark » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:30 pm

Just checked over the figures I noted down over a 4 month period when did just shy of 4k miles - average MPG was 35.04 over that period. A few pointers:-

1) these are actual figures with me recording mileage against fuel put into the car at each fill up - not using the somewhat overoptimistic figures in the centre screen gubbins. That is of course assuming the mileometer accurately records the actual mileage - I suspect as the speedo over-estimates the mph the mileometer also similarly over-reads (that's not a pop at LR, vast majority of cars do this)

2) I live in the sticks in a wee village above Newtown so town driving and traffic jams are thankfully a thing of the past for me - so mainly A road etc driving

3) While this mpg is clearly light years away from the figure JLR claim for the DS, it's a damned sight better than the old Shogun I got rid of! Only once in 7 years did I get over 30mpg on an over 200 mile journey, and that included a lengthy section of 45mph between Crianlarich and Oban where overtaking was impossible. Efficient it wasn't!

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:40 pm

44mpg 180 manual , never been in eco in its life.long trips
Short ones 20 mpg at times.

As for 60 miles at the weekend , logically this sounds good , but what trips does in do Monday to Friday ?
We did come to the conclusion on here that you could do the 60 miles and leave it either mid regeneration or wanting a regeneration the very next start up.
It regenerates when full , or every 250 miles if one hasn’t completed. Sadly all our shouts for a light to tell us it’s currently regenerating has fell on deaf ears at JLR.

You just don’t know when it needs one , so you need to be prepared to be able to give it s long blast when it needs it, a couple of folk have gotten caught out with this by doing short trips during the week .

Factor in your fuel loss running the diesel to clean the DPF too :D
My18 FPace, 25t, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

PaulCP

Post by PaulCP » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:46 pm

Why not take a look at the DS section on the Fuelly website, it will give you a good idea of the max & min mpg that a fair cross section are achieving.

My 180d auto managed 36.7 (calculated) over 15400 miles recorded. Rarely achieved over 39mpg on a long motorway run and lowest was 32mpg locally in the winter
Now: Lexus RX 450h F Sport + Premier Pack
GONE Jan 2018:- HSE Lux Firenze Red (MY17), Ivory Interior, Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Headlights, Surround Cameras,

Previous: Range Rover Sport HSE Black Edn, Ipanema Sand

WarriorWorld

Post by WarriorWorld » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:32 pm

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Interesting to see low to mid 30s for diesel is probably the realistic mpg achievable for my kind of journeys, (was expecting high 30, maybe sneaking 40), which would probably push me towards petrol and risking the financial hit, should I end up reverting to higher mileage, especially if i could expect mid 20's from the petrol

Did a quick excel with JLRs published figures, which are obviously in dreamland, but came out as about 40% more in fuel costs per mile for petrol. Not major over 6k a year, but becomes expensive mistake at 10+K per year.

Any bad side to the petrol engines, other than the lower MPG?

Buy british

Post by Buy british » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:04 pm

I can't really help much, other than to say that I had a 30minute test drive in a 240 petrol DS about one month ago.
I can tell you that the engine in that car was superb.....instantly responsive. and plenty rapid.
I currently drive a X5 M 4.0, so know what cars can do.........I reckon the X5 might beat the Disco to 60mph......but probably not to 30........don't know, just the impression i got behind the wheel.
Gremlins apart,.... I was impressed enough to order one there and then.......IF those cars work properly, .... they're good !
Arrived 30/05/18.........HSE 240 petrol..byron blue..18" grey wheels...cirrus leather..adaptive dampers..service pack..
Factory fitted options =... prayer mat, ..shrine to Buddah, ..and some worry beads hanging from the steering wheel.

WarriorWorld

Post by WarriorWorld » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:15 pm

Thanks 'Buy British'. The performance side doesnt worry me too much. had a 4hr test drive of the 180 Diesel a few weeks ago, and while not the best at jumping into gaps on roundabouts, was not enough to concern me. If the petrol was 500/1000 cheaper than diesel as with a lot of manufacturers, then the petrol would be a no-brainer for me, but as i seem to be discovering from reading this forum, JLR are NOT like any other manufacturer :-)

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:19 pm

WarriorWorld wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:32 pm
Thanks for all the replies so far.

Interesting to see low to mid 30s for diesel is probably the realistic mpg achievable for my kind of journeys, (was expecting high 30, maybe sneaking 40), which would probably push me towards petrol and risking the financial hit, should I end up reverting to higher mileage, especially if i could expect mid 20's from the petrol

Did a quick excel with JLRs published figures, which are obviously in dreamland, but came out as about 40% more in fuel costs per mile for petrol. Not major over 6k a year, but becomes expensive mistake at 10+K per year.

Any bad side to the petrol engines, other than the lower MPG?
None , perfect, quiet just as good at climbing hills if not better , I’m getting 36 mpg but that’s in the fpace, take a look at the petrol thread no complaints over there.

Better mpg on short trips , for not much loss on long trips , bigger tank too .no DEF no DEF problems , no DPF problems ,no EGR problems .

Unless your towing a caravan regularly I’d stick to a petrol DS , take one for a drive back to back with the 180 diesel.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7806&hilit=Petrol
My18 FPace, 25t, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Return to “Main Discovery Sport chat”