Hill hold assist and electric parking brake ?

All Discovery Sport related discussions
Jessdale

Hill hold assist and electric parking brake ?

Post by Jessdale » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:58 pm

The hill hold assist on my current Audi Q3 manual holds the car stationary for several minutes before it automatically engages the parking brake, yet on my fiesta hire car it only holds for 2 seconds before it releases and starts to roll. What does it do on the DS? Also when I am in the Q3 I never touch the parking brake at all, when I drive off it releases automatically and when I stop it engages automatically, is it the same on the DS? Thanks

Chippy

Re: Hill hold assist and electric parking brake ?

Post by Chippy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:03 pm

I don’t know about the hill hold assist but I never touched the parking brake it did everything in its own. It’s the same on my Evoque.
Evoque MY18 TD4 SE 180hp. Loire Blue.
DS MY17 (Rejected B pillar ticking). Aintree Green.
DS MY16 (Rejected B pillar ticking). Corris Grey.

MikeJohn

Post by MikeJohn » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:10 pm

DS parking brake engages automatically, and disengages as you drive off. Works brilliantly in my experience. The only problem I have is when I get in my wife's Ford Focus I drive off with the handbrake on!

A thought. Is the diving test being updated to reflect automatic handbrakes? It probably should be.

Mike
MY17 DS HSE 180 Auto InControl Pro, Space saver wheel. Tow Trust detachable towbar.

BobbyBox

Post by BobbyBox » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:21 pm

To clarify, in the DS Auto you must either select P or manually press the parking brake button to engage the parking brake. Selecting either D, S or R (or pressing the accelerator if already in one of these modes) will automatically disengage the parking brake as you set off. You can also press the parking brake button again to release it manually.
Hill Hold in the DS is the variety that works for a few seconds not minutes.
BB
Last edited by BobbyBox on Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Discovery Sport 2.0 HSE TD4 (180), Auto, Loire Blue, Almond Interior, Adaptive Xenons, Roof Rails, Spare Wheel, flaps, privacy glass, memory pack, travall dog guard. Built Oct 2015.

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:31 pm

Never heard of a hill hold working for minutes and then applying handbrake, all I've ever driven or heard of held for the two seconds mentioned above as per the DS.

Again, most hand brakes need applying manually (even electronic ones) unless you engage Park. They then release when accelerating away.

I'd seriously wonder if something was wrong with your Audi, unless someone else can confirm the behaviour! Never heard of handbrakes applying automatically every time you stop.
HSE Black MY16.5 (2.0 180 Ingenium), Santorini Black, Ebony Memory Seats, Black Roof Rails, Detachable Towbar, 2 x USB in 2nd row, Delete Badging, Service Pack.

scratch113

Post by scratch113 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:43 pm

I understand what Jessdale is on about - my previous car was a 2008 Audi A5 manual with Hill Hold Assist and I thought it was a brilliant system. If you were in slow stop/start traffic going up a hill, then when you came to a stop the parking brake would come on automatically and if it looked like you were going to sit there for a while then you could knock it into neutral and release the clutch rather than sitting there with the clutch depressed and the brake would stay on indefinitely, without the need to pull the lever for the electronic handbrake.

The only downside with the Audi system was that it defaulted to off, so you had to press the button to turn it on every time you started the car, which could be a pain if you forgot and then expected it to hold you on a hill...

Now I've switched to an automatic DS (well 2 years ago I did) and the LR system is pretty much just as good except that as my car is an auto, if you release the parking brake (obviously there's no clutch pedal) then the car will start to move forward, although not so much on a slight uphill. Really you need to keep your foot on the brake and if you want to rest your feet, then select N and the parking brake will be on automatically. At least with the LR system it's active all of the time - no need to press a button to make it work when you first start.

For short stops (pulling into my drive, turning around then reversing uphill) then it is possible to do things too quickly for the brake to come on and hence you will roll a bit, but generally it's pretty good and will hold you on a hill and then release once you apply the throttle.

Don't know if Jessdale has an auto or manual DS though...
Now own: MY16 DS HSE Lux, Loire Blue, Ivory leather, Adaptive xenons, detachable tow bar, service pack
Previous: 2008 Audi A5 coupe 3.0TDi Sport quattro, Superchips remap to 295bhp/580Nm, Milltek exhaust, lots of toys.

Jessdale

Post by Jessdale » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:00 pm

scratch113 wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:43 pm
I understand what Jessdale is on about - my previous car was a 2008 Audi A5 manual with Hill Hold Assist and I thought it was a brilliant system. If you were in slow stop/start traffic going up a hill, then when you came to a stop the parking brake would come on automatically and if it looked like you were going to sit there for a while then you could knock it into neutral and release the clutch rather than sitting there with the clutch depressed and the brake would stay on indefinitely, without the need to pull the lever for the electronic handbrake.

The only downside with the Audi system was that it defaulted to off, so you had to press the button to turn it on every time you started the car, which could be a pain if you forgot and then expected it to hold you on a hill...

Now I've switched to an automatic DS (well 2 years ago I did) and the LR system is pretty much just as good except that as my car is an auto, if you release the parking brake (obviously there's no clutch pedal) then the car will start to move forward, although not so much on a slight uphill. Really you need to keep your foot on the brake and if you want to rest your feet, then select N and the parking brake will be on automatically. At least with the LR system it's active all of the time - no need to press a button to make it work when you first start.

For short stops (pulling into my drive, turning around then reversing uphill) then it is possible to do things too quickly for the brake to come on and hence you will roll a bit, but generally it's pretty good and will hold you on a hill and then release once you apply the throttle.

Don't know if Jessdale has an auto or manual DS though...
There is no button to engage the hill hold in the Q3 just the parking brake button near the gear stick. I have never touched the parking brake button since the day I got the car which will be 3 years in June. The DS arrives the day the Q3 goes back and have have gone for the auto this time

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:05 am

Hill hold assist and the EPB are two separate items.

On a hill the hill hold assist on the DS holds the car for a couple of seconds to allow for time to shift your foot from the brake to the accelerator.this works via a tilt sensor.

EPB you can put on at any time , it auto releases as you drive off it does not make use of the tilt sensor.

Find a hill with nothing behind you and test them out, you then know which is best to use to suit both you and circumstances.

Gradient release control....

06CF7D6E-6AC5-4094-9C09-9489B67A53A4.png

My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Return to “Main Discovery Sport chat”