New DS 290 Petrol & Adaptive Dynamics

All Discovery Sport related discussions
DBX

New DS 290 Petrol & Adaptive Dynamics

Post by DBX » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:12 pm

My DS 290 is one week old. Thanks to everyone for all the useful tips on this site, when I was doing my research.

The DS replaces my trusty faithful totally reliable, felt pretty quick in the mid range, FL2 HSE SD4, which as a family we have all loved for 7 years and 83,500 miles. She never let me down, only had a catalytic converter sensor needing replacing in 7 yrs, and only refused to start once - that was when I went to take her in part-exchange for the DS last Friday! Point blank refused to leave us. So sad. Flat battery, the original...

So a tough act to follow.

First impression of the DS290. Very quick, quiet and nimble; and looks an amazing beast (in Corus with black roof), with RR Velar style grill etc.
Hate keyless entry though as it is so hackable, but have two FobGuard' cases, thanks to recommendations on this site. Perfect. Thank you again.

Driving a LR product where you can't see the corners, to me, is weird and is taking a bit of getting used to. Being a tardis, feeling big on the inside, its tricky to be certain as to how big (or small) it really is on the outside, when you can't see the corners for disappearing curves and smooth lines. I have the 360 camera so when needs must, I will try and remember to use it. Will have to book the LR Experience again for the DS. I have to remind myself she is narrower (just) than the FL2 and pretty much the same upfront.

I am developing a lighter foot, as I need to keep my licence and avoid over visiting the petrol pumps; but also because she is so quick to respond. I was only getting 30.5 mpg with FL2 and I have averaged this already on a longer run.

Overall brilliant, but especially with and because of the optional Adaptive Dynamics.

This is a serious point if you are reading this and thinking of getting one. ORDER IT WITH ADAPTIVE DYNAMICS. This used to be in the HSE Dynamic Lux spec, but was made an option for MY18 along with introducing the 290P, which only comes in this spec. - it kept the list price at sub £50k.

When you read the few reviews and videos of the standard spec 290, it refers to fast cornering loading up the outside front wheel (because of the weight), and as such makes it a less sporting drive round bends, as you constantly feel the need to back off. That is basic vector dynamics of c2tonne in motion and a multi-purpose compliant standard suspension.

Well Adaptive Dynamics completely changes all that. The Magnaride dampers adjust individually to take all the extra load where it is needed, just like magic. It feels like running on rails. Really amazing and makes for a superb ride.

Adaptive Dynamics also takes the worst bumps out of potholes and jarring from those sleeping police humps around my home, even with the compulsory 20" wheels. Essentially the Magnaride dampers really do put SPORT with comfort, into the DS.

With reference to the 20" wheels, I am trying to find out how small a wheel / chunky a tyre I can put on this for winter / on sites, but I have been told by LR Customer Advice when I called them, that don't give technical advice... The DS290P (and 240D) have larger front brakes, so its not a daft question... Does anyone know?
DS MY18 290 Petrol Dynamic Lux + Adaptive Dynamics ++
FL2 HSE SD4 190 7yrs
FL2 HSE TD4 159 3 yrs
BMW 335c 6months MLC
SAAB 95 Griffin Estate 3.0t
RR P38 4.6 HSE. Renault Espace 3.0 V6. Rover Vitesse 3.0 V6. Golf GTI Mk2

PaulCP

Re: New DS 290 Petrol & Adaptive Dynamics

Post by PaulCP » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:24 pm

Agree totally with your points about the Adaptive Dynamics, it is a very worthwhile option. I've stated many times on here that it makes the car live up to the Sport badge.

I had it on my recent MY17 HSE Lux and for me, it transformed not only the way the car drives, but also transformed the quirkiness of the gearbox due to way it changes the mapping of the throttle etc. It is not just an option which stiffens the suspension as most seem to think.

Just one other point though, unless things have changed with the new MY cars, ironically it was not fitted as standard but an option on the HSE Dynamic
Now: Lexus RX 450h F Sport + Premier Pack
GONE Jan 2018:- HSE Lux Firenze Red (MY17), Ivory Interior, Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Headlights, Surround Cameras,

Previous: Range Rover Sport HSE Black Edn, Ipanema Sand

DBX

Post by DBX » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:07 pm

Paul of course the Magnatide dampers are part of the pack and work all the time. When Adaptive Dynamics is switched on as you say the gearing changes and on mine, the dashboard goes from white to red...

All good fun that actually makes a real difference, as you say.

My info on being included previously I think came from a salesman...
DS MY18 290 Petrol Dynamic Lux + Adaptive Dynamics ++
FL2 HSE SD4 190 7yrs
FL2 HSE TD4 159 3 yrs
BMW 335c 6months MLC
SAAB 95 Griffin Estate 3.0t
RR P38 4.6 HSE. Renault Espace 3.0 V6. Rover Vitesse 3.0 V6. Golf GTI Mk2

Badgerface

Post by Badgerface » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:39 pm

Had an Ewok with Magneride system as a loaner last month.....unbelievable drive! The inner chav, buried since the 80's and my RS Turbo days was making me throw it into tight bends at motorway speeds and it handled it as if I was driving through them at 10mph. A fantastic worthwhile addition for sure.
MY17 HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack
MY13 HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
MY12 HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

Station

Post by Station » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:57 pm

Not had my DS for long but -
Driven with it on and off and definitely makes a noticeable and positive difference.
Agree with all the other posters comments made - the dials turning Red is a nice touch by LR.
Well worth the money.

Great stuff 👍
HSE Black SD240 MY18 in Firenze Red / Black with Active Dynamics. :D

Natwest

Post by Natwest » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:48 pm

Hi DBX,
A month later how are you getting on with 290P and what is the fuel economy like?

I'm intrigued to know your findings...
Now: 18MY: Sd4 HSE Lux - Carpathian grey

Woolmeister

Post by Woolmeister » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:07 pm

£50k for a Discovery Sport 😂
17MY HSE Auto 180 in Carpathian Grey with Ebony Leather, Privacy Glass, Roof Rails, and Row 2 USB.
Stereophonic B Pillar Ticking (No Cost Option) and a horrendous auto box.
DISCO3.CO.UK Contributor of 10 Years - Trying a DS for a while
MINI Cooper D Convertible

weemark

Post by weemark » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:22 pm

Woolmeister wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:07 pm
Gobsmacking to me!

HmmmUK

Post by HmmmUK » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:16 pm

weemark wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:22 pm
Woolmeister wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:07 pm
Gobsmacking to me!
I've just Googled Volvo XC90 Inscription and the snippet says "...from £52K" FOR A VOLVO :lol:
Long time Land Rover owner thinking about a new one! ...Bought a MY15 Evoque 2.2L in Nov 17.
80", 90", Range Rover Classic, Freelander, Discovery

Woolmeister

Post by Woolmeister » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:52 pm

The difference is, that I would actually have no qualms over paying £52k for a Volvo XC90 Inscription.

It’s a far better built car, using superior materials, with more comfortable seats, a better engine and exhaust system, and an infinitely better gearbox. Oh, and all the ones I’ve driven don’t have an inherent build quality issue that causes the B Pillar to rattle from the moment it leaves the factory. Did I also mention dealers that actually appear to care?

I used to be a Land Rover fanboi as well, but this ownership experience - like many others on this forum - has quite firmly turned me into a detractor of the brand.

£50k for a Discovery Sport is laughable; it is a very average car, at best.

Steve
17MY HSE Auto 180 in Carpathian Grey with Ebony Leather, Privacy Glass, Roof Rails, and Row 2 USB.
Stereophonic B Pillar Ticking (No Cost Option) and a horrendous auto box.
DISCO3.CO.UK Contributor of 10 Years - Trying a DS for a while
MINI Cooper D Convertible

Return to “Main Discovery Sport chat”