Warning - metal tyre valve dust covers

All Discovery Sport related discussions
Charlieian

Warning - metal tyre valve dust covers

Post by Charlieian » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:55 am

So around 4 months ago someone stole a couple dust covers from the car they were the original plastic ones - replaced them with some nice metal ones - big mistake!
Car went in for service yesterday and they stated: unable to manually check tyre pressures caps stuck (3 of 4), applied lubricant, didn’t want to force because of potential damage to TPMS valve.
That was yesterday - just spent half an hour with a ring spanner, screwdriver, adjustable pliers, and lots of penetrating oil all, supplemented with copious swearing, to get the ****** off.
Lesson learnt: will replace with plastic - TPMS valves appear to have survived the ordeal. If you have metal caps take them off and if leaving on, put some copper slip or lithium grease to the thread, to prevent bonding.
I only had the caps off 2 weeks ago to manually check the pressures - I mostly just use the info system. Did wade through a flooded road around a week ago combined with salt on roads may have done it.
Never come across this before hence above to share :roll:
DS HSE Black 2.0 180 Corris Grey Del March 2016

UKSoulie

Re: Warning - metal tyre valve dust covers

Post by UKSoulie » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:05 am

Thanks for the tip off I too have fitted chrome covered dust caps not sure if their metal or plastic covers underneath the shiny coating but will check today :shock:
2017 SE Tech 2.0 Auto Ingenium 178 bhp Diesel Corris Grey

elkrider

Post by elkrider » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:23 am

There is another reason to keep the plastic covers. They are indicators for the TPMS valves. Service people need that information!
This was the information I got when I wanted to replace the plastic covers with the metal tyre valve type. The reason they get stuck is electric corrosion between steel and aluminum. So the old rubber type would be ok but it would give the wrong information of rubber valves instead of TPMS. So better stay with the 'cheap looking' plastic covers.
MY 2016 16.5 150 SE auto, 5 seater, 8 way electrical seats, lifted the drivers seat to have a better view over the bonnet

HamsterWheel

Post by HamsterWheel » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:40 am

And I was about to swap my plastic ones for the spangly Land Rover metal ones I got as a welcome gift.... won't bother!
Petrol 240 SE Tech Byron Blue, grey wheels, Cirrus seats, rear privacy glass, dipping mirror, SPARE WHEEL! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

elkrider

Post by elkrider » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:22 am

Probably the reason the give them away as welcome gift. Doesn't make sense to sell them as they should not be used. Somebody should tell those dealers that still sell them....
MY 2016 16.5 150 SE auto, 5 seater, 8 way electrical seats, lifted the drivers seat to have a better view over the bonnet

HmmmUK

Post by HmmmUK » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:35 am

Yep - I've also had issues with metal caps! Back to plastic for me...
viewtopic.php?t=6192
Long time Land Rover owner thinking about a new one! ...Bought a MY15 Evoque 2.2L in Nov 17.
80", 90", Range Rover Classic, Freelander, Discovery

flycop2000

Post by flycop2000 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:42 pm

A very light smearing of copper grease on the valve threads will stop them sticking. Its used on numerous bicycle components to stop them seizing.

Simonix

Post by Simonix » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:56 pm

If the caps are made of steel and the valves are aluminium or vice versa, this will cause the metals to corrode on contact.
MY18 SE Tech 150hp Manual. Black, with Cirrus full grained leather.

Rutland, UK

wardie

Post by wardie » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:02 pm

HamsterWheel wrote:And I was about to swap my plastic ones for the spangly Land Rover metal ones I got as a welcome gift.... won't bother!
I got some of those as a present - never had time to get stuck - they got nicked in a supermarket car park after a couple of weeks :-(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gone: MY16 2.0 TD4 180 HSE Auto, Corris grey, ebony leather, 19" style 902, detachable tow bar, silver roof rails, memory seats, InControl plus & secure, traffic sign recognition, HomeLink, USBs passenger shelf & 2nd row, service plan

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:29 am

That’s good to know !
Makes you wonder why they sent the metal ones out free ?
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Return to “Main Discovery Sport chat”