Car wash damage

All Discovery Sport related discussions
philstox

Car wash damage

Post by philstox » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:41 am

Hello. I wondered if anyone else has been unfortunate enough to experience damage to the rear of their discovery sport whilst using an automatic car wash? I have reported this to the head office claims department but have been told that they accept no liability. I was surprised at the extent of the damage that the roller did which you can see on the photo.

DAA037DD-AEF6-4917-8EE6-20CC81876B00.jpeg

Anupanu

Re: Car wash damage

Post by Anupanu » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:51 am

That's a lot of damage for a car wash

Was it really cold that day? Have you ever damaged it previously, but with no obvious signs? That part looks like it was really brittle, was the car wash damaging any other cars?

I would find out cost to repair, go back to Car wash HQ with threat of media coverage to see if they would like to make an ex-gratia payment. Only if you are willing to follow through...
MY16 Scotia Grey HSE Luxury TD4
Great service from Stafford Land Rover
Previous LR experience - 02 Freelander Vienna Green HSE TD4

The Highlander

Post by The Highlander » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:55 am

:cry:
Last edited by The Highlander on Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Highlander

Post by The Highlander » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:57 am

Get onto your insurance, that’s what you pay them for. They have the might to take on the car wash proprietors if appropriate.

That said, I can see how the lip would have been caught. I never use the things myself after one damaged a car I had back in the 80’s.

philstox

Post by philstox » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:05 am

Yes, it was a lot of damage and I guess the part is quite brittle. Not a particularly cold day either. I’ve had a quote (just one at the moment) of >£900. Insurance will be the next port of call and I believe an “ADR” claim scheme can be used for such things.
Just wondered if this had happened before?

Bomber209

Post by Bomber209 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:23 am

Ouch! I thought the car wash disclaimer was only for loose trim and projections like a wing mirror or aerial. I'd take some photo's of their rules and get your insurance company involved. If no suitable outcome a trip to the scrappy is on the cards.
Ex: Srs 2A & 3, RR Classic & Vogue, Defender 90, Disco 300Tdi, FreeLander 1.
Now: Disco Sport SE Tech. Auto :D :D

The Highlander

Post by The Highlander » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:26 am

Never heard of it before tbh. Yes, that’s the route I’d go down, fingers crossed, but more than ever it’s quicker and a lot less hassle to involve your insurance, have the damage repaired. If it’s straightforward, try a claim against the garage, if not, put it down to the joys of motoring.

The claim I made years ago was a roller bouncing off the bonnet and damaging it. From memory, it involved me asking the manager of the petrol station to recompense me, him saying no and then I changed his mind. :oops: not sure I’d get away with it now.

philstox

Post by philstox » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:47 am

Unfortunately i’m Fighting the might of a major supermarket here! Not sure I’d would get away with mentioning the name?

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:02 am

philstox wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:47 am
Unfortunately i’m Fighting the might of a major supermarket here! Not sure I’d would get away with mentioning the name?
Don't think they can have an issue with it, hardly like they can deny it happened.

Must have sounded like a bomb going off!

It always interests me to see parts of cars you never see normally, the design, the engineering, the detail that goes into making parts between design concepts that are cobbled together to the production parts, you see why there are years between the two points in the gestation of a car.
HSE Black MY16 (180 Ingenium), Santorini Black, Ebony Memory Seats, Black Roof Rails, Detachable Towbar, 2 x USB in 2nd row, Delete Badging. Golf GT Convertible and Mini First complete the family.

philstox

Post by philstox » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:04 pm

Yes, Dashnine, It was certainly very loud and a worrying couple of minutes whilst the wash completed it cycle! So, here is the initial denial correspondence! A standard one no doubt and that's why I wondered if anyone had experienced the same problem.

WIN_20180310_11_57_50_Pro.jpg

Return to “Main Discovery Sport chat”