Snow and your DS

All Discovery Sport related discussions
PaulCP

Re: Snow and your DS

Post by PaulCP » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:40 pm

You could have a try :D

IMG_1062.JPG

Now: Lexus RX 450h F Sport + Premier Pack
GONE Jan 2018:- HSE Lux Firenze Red (MY17), Ivory Interior, Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Headlights, Surround Cameras,

Previous: Range Rover Sport HSE Black Edn, Ipanema Sand

PedroT

Post by PedroT » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:45 pm

Assuming the Landrover Off-Road setting have required a great amount of skill and brain power to develope, why is it then that punters need to start switching off something like traction control in order to achieve better results in poor conditions?
I would have thought that selecting “Grass, gravel , snow” would give optimum results for making progress in snow conditions when the going gets really tough!!
MY16 SE Plus Pano Roof Rev camera removable tow bar. Prev. Kia Sportage

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:02 pm

PaulCP wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:43 pm
Of course, 4x4's are not infallible as the lady driving this one found out yesterday
Skidded, clipped a low wall then flipped over.

IMG_1060.JPG
Looking at the other picture from the front it looks like coming through that 90 degree bridge might have been the root, or at least start of the poor persons problems.

Remember you car and it’s traction is only as good as the contact and grip of the tyres on the road, gravity does the rest of the damage.

All weathers are not as good on ice as full winters .
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Badgerface

Post by Badgerface » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:06 pm

PedroT wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:45 pm
Assuming the Landrover Off-Road setting have required a great amount of skill and brain power to develope, why is it then that punters need to start switching off something like traction control in order to achieve better results in poor conditions?
I would have thought that selecting “Grass, gravel , snow” would give optimum results for making progress in snow conditions when the going gets really tough!!
Then you would be very wrong in that assumption - it's not a magic button that fixes everything. There are various factors including the basic laws of physics that come into play - if you think that pushing a button makes you invincible then you seriously, SERIOUSLY should not be on the road in conditions such as these! 😡
MY17 HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian
MY13 HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
MY12 HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:12 pm

PedroT wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:45 pm
Never had to turn it off on the DS , if you look at the landrover videos on you tube , they test running round on snow and ice with it off and on. They prove there is more stability with it on.

However getting moving when stuck is different.
I used to turn it DSC off on the bmw as rear wheel spin was cut out instantly by DSC /TCS and you just sat on the same spot going nowhere, but it automatically switched back on over 18 mph.

However never had that much spin in the DS or previous 4x4 I’ve owned that I’ve ever needed to turn it off.
To me it’s there if you need to turn it off if all else fails , but with low traction launch, snow ice /rain mode there little need to switch it off. You are in effect turning off a key device that is linked to traction control that is needed at faster speeds.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:17 pm

Turning it off and leaving it off at faster speeds is not best

https://youtu.be/EvTCUgE5DAA

Older systems used to automatically switch back on again at about 15-20 for this reason.
MY17 HSE 180 gone

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:37 pm

Dashnine wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:32 pm
PaulCP wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:43 pm
Of course, 4x4's are not infallible as the lady driving this one found out yesterday
Skidded, clipped a low wall then flipped over.

IMG_1060.JPG
Shame we couldn't check out the SCRF from the other angle.... :lol:
Probably out doing a 40 mile run to clean it out :lol: :lol:
MY17 HSE 180 gone

PedroT

Post by PedroT » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:41 pm

Badger, I obviously hadn’t made my point very well. I understand that all cars are likely to have problems in severe weather conditions and drivers ought to take on board the advice given by Police and weather experts.
My point is simply that LR have developed a system to give optimal results in poor conditions and it just seems odd to me that folks think that they have a better solution by making their own interventions by switching off a system (traction control) which is normally left in the active mode.
I am always keen to have the best advice possible and find this forum great for gaining knowledge of my Landrover.
MY16 SE Plus Pano Roof Rev camera removable tow bar. Prev. Kia Sportage

ccomley

Post by ccomley » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:14 pm

What many 4x4 drivers fail to remember is - the 4x4 system helps you get going. It offers NOTHING to help you stop again!

Well, the DS offers HDC which is handy so long as you remember it!

THe number of 4x4s I've seen managed to get up to 30-40 on the lanes, and, I'm just glad they're going where i@m not...

I always advise - as you drive in snow, pretend the car will explode if you touch the brake pedal. Drive as much as you can to avoid ever touching it, and use it only in dire emergency.
---
Loire Blue HSE - pretty much standard. Arrived June '15
(1996 Defender 90 and her SLK share the driveway)

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:03 pm

ccomley wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:14 pm
What many 4x4 drivers fail to remember is - the 4x4 system helps you get going. It offers NOTHING to help you stop again!

Well, the DS offers HDC which is handy so long as you remember it!

THe number of 4x4s I've seen managed to get up to 30-40 on the lanes, and, I'm just glad they're going where i@m not...

I always advise - as you drive in snow, pretend the car will explode if you touch the brake pedal. Drive as much as you can to avoid ever touching it, and use it only in dire emergency.
I was taught to drive the same way many decades ago, in fact my mother used to clout me round the head for using touching the brakes. I learned quickly about engine braking 😀🙄
MY17 HSE 180 gone

Return to “Main Discovery Sport chat”