Discovery Sport Forum banner

Lost Deposit?

9K views 47 replies 13 participants last post by  The Highlander 
#1 ·
This is all by phone, just to be clear before we start.

I had problems ordering a new vehicle with a particular dealers Sales Manager who couldn't be bothered to be honest. Ignored emails, phone calls, he was a busy, busy boy - should have seen the writing on the wall, but it's so typical of a LR dealer, you shrug it off.

Anyway, I stupidly persevered despite the fact he'd demoted the order to one of his Salesmen and eventually ordered. The Salesman hadn't a clue basically, which I suppose didn't matter too much, it's not the first time I've come across a dense Salesman. I then discovered if I took a finance deal, even if I paid it off within a day or two, I got £1.5k back from LR. Anyway, price amended. So far, so good.

I then discovered I should have got £2.5k off a finance deal. Phoned up dealership and they said that £1.5k comes from LR and £1k from themselves, but as I'd already had such a good deal, way beyond the extra £1k, they couldn't give me anymore.

Anyway, I was asked to put down a deposit to secure a build slot, which I did, giving my Credit Card particulars.

I then had to ask him what size the deposit was. It turned out to be £1k. Okay, but I wish you'd mentioned this before.

Now on reflection, I can't say I am particularly happy about the way I've been treated - slow learner, and I think I'll cancel.

Do the Distance Selling Regs apply to deposits? Will I get my £1k back? I can see a fight coming.

See less See more
#2 ·
If the dealer won't refund it
Get it touch with your credit card company asap as you are covered by them.
If the service they provided is not up to standard you can get your deposit back.
Just list all their cockups ( that shouldn't be hard) then call your credit card company to refund the payment.

That's one of the reasons I always use a credit card for a deposit.

#3 ·
Not a nice story Highlander. I'd certainly approact the credit card company plus, as far as I'm aware any agreement that you have made has to be honoured even it was on the telephone, i.e. a verbal agreement is also binding. OK it's your word against theirs but in view of all the mess-ups it shouldn't be too difficult to show that they've not been supportive so they are the naughty ones and not you.

Good luck.

#4 ·
Barnsh - Me too. I use Visa on distance transactions simply because I wouldn't want anyone getting their hands on my Debit Card details.

I know this garages change price is impossible to beat and I suppose we'd all deal with the Devil is the price is right, but I am really not happy with their attitude. Even SWMBO said she has looked forward to getting a new car in the past, but not this one because of the way they have treated us.

Some things are worth more than money!

Chippy - thanks, I haven't even got a proper order sent to me. Just one liners on email confirming the price and a couple of phone calls. I do have a trail of email correspondence and I was quite explicit in my side of the order. I think they were going to do the build on Monday, looking at the end of March for delivery. A PITA, think they wore me down after a scale and polish at the Dentist yesterday. :roll:

PS I really do object to paying millions of quid Road Fund Licence just cos the thing is over £40k. It's almost put me off buying new cars for life!

G
#5 ·
Slightly off topic, but just as a comment on my Lexus buying experience.

I signed an order form mid Dec and dealer confirmed by email that they had ordered and secured the exact spec car I wanted which was due to arrive in the country late Dec. I was getting a little concerned early in the New Year since I'd never been asked for a deposit and every time I've ordered a new car in the past there has always been a requirement to pay a £500-£1000 deposit to "secure the car"

Whilst I was contemplating this the sales guy phoned me to confirm that they would receive the car on a certain date and to arrange a pick up date for a few days afterwards. Everything went perfectly and throughout the entire process I was never asked to pay a deposit.

#6 ·
Never have I locally at the LR dealership Inverness, but this is the South of Scotland. I suppose it's normal practice.

It's not the money side of it that bothers me particularly. It's only a 1 with three zeros after it. Just would hate to waste it although if I do, hey ho, that's life.

#7 ·
Highlander it sounds as though they've been somewhat negligent in not even sending you a proper order confirmation. It's just another negative for you to possibly throw at them.

My dealer sends confirmations by registered post to make sure the customers really receive them.

#8 ·
Barnsh said:
If the dealer won't refund it
Get it touch with your credit card company asap as you are covered by them.
If the service they provided is not up to standard you can get your deposit back.
Just list all their cockups ( that shouldn't be hard) then call your credit card company to refund the payment.

That's one of the reasons I always use a credit card for a deposit.
Agreed, I only ever use a credit card to pay anything like this, deposits for cars, holidays especially. Much easier to get the credit card company to claim the money back than you doing it, also very hard to do when paying with a debit card. Using a credit card for even just a deposit or a smaller portion of a sales transaction shifts the whole liability for the whole transaction to the credit card com pany, peace of mind if nothing else.

#9 ·
The Highlander said:
Barnsh - Me too. I use Visa on distance transactions simply because I wouldn't want anyone getting their hands on my Debit Card details.

I know this garages change price is impossible to beat and I suppose we'd all deal with the Devil is the price is right, but I am really not happy with their attitude. Even SWMBO said she has looked forward to getting a new car in the past, but not this one because of the way they have treated us.

Some things are worth more than money!

Chippy - thanks, I haven't even got a proper order sent to me. Just one liners on email confirming the price and a couple of phone calls. I do have a trail of email correspondence and I was quite explicit in my side of the order. I think they were going to do the build on Monday, looking at the end of March for delivery. A PITA, think they wore me down after a scale and polish at the Dentist yesterday. :roll:

PS I really do object to paying millions of quid Road Fund Licence just cos the thing is over £40k. It's almost put me off buying new cars for life!
It's disgusting, you are prepared to spend £40K - £50k with them and they cannot even be bothered to write up a sales spec/agreement. Why do we continue to give these people our hard earned? :oops:

#10 ·
Oh? interesting. You could always argue that.

I don't even know if I am getting it on finance to get the £1.5k off or they are just knocking it off price.

On the phone, I mentioned to the salesman that they'd end up giving me money back to qualify for the finance incentive and he fell off his perch, so I just told him so long as I didn't pay anymore than the agreed price, it didn't matter to me if it was cash or finance, followed by me saying, ask your sales manager what's happening, he should know what he's doing. It was a bit rude of me, but you just get fed up.

#12 ·
Not all deposits are non-returnable, did they say on the phone it wasn't returnable? If not, 'shouldn't' be a problem asking for it back. It's unlikely to be an additional order, so it's a car they were getting anyway.

#14 ·
The complacency of dealers these days is staggering...it's almost as if you should feel honoured to order the vehicle from them! Totally unprofessional underneath all the chintz and coffee machines.....I've mentioned before about 'salesmen', sorry, 'order takers' marching about in their Hugo Boss suits with stupidly large knots in their Ties trying to look all important...to me it smacks of absolute arrogance on their part.

#15 ·
Here, here Badgerface although I'm lucky with the sales guy at my dealer. He's straight and I've never had any problems with him. Perhaps it's because he wears neither a Boss suit nor a tie. ;)

#16 ·
Bit like when I ordered an Audi TT 10 years back. 1 year wait so I phoned after 10 months to discover nobody actually ordered the car. Luckily I kept the receipt for £1000 deposit. I never got a TT but was well compensated .
Baby on way by then so not getting a TT was no problem.lucky escape you might say.

Ripon LR are a lot more real than the wide tie boys at York audi

#17 ·
Very much down to the individual dealership, even within the same chain. I must say I have (almost) always found LR sales staff very helpful, even if not always knowledgeable. I've had very much worse experiences in the past, especially with Ford. Which is why I've never owned a Ford!)

#19 ·
syl said:
if there's no signed order, how can they prove they have ordered the right spec? If they won't return the deposit, when the car arrives tell them it's the wrong colour.
I always thought that a signed order and order acknowledgement were a legal requirement in the UK as well as where I am but maybe I'm mistaken.

Any developments Highlander?

#20 ·
Hi H,
I had a similar set up in Aberdeen, with incl'd items missed off the paperwork, only the verbal confirmations. No matter how many times I've asked they won't give me a confirmation e-mail etc. I had printed off their advert for the car so I had some negotiating power. I had the £1k offer on finance and paid it off as soon as I received the paperwork but they still charged me a month's interest, although the dealer said that inside a month I wouldn't have to. I won't be back once the warranty runs out.

#21 ·
No, no updates. I phoned and emailed earlier on and no reply yet. I suppose it's early?

To be honest, I have other, more important things to do at the moment rather than chase up a garage that isn't replying or responding to an new car order. It's indicative to the brand and car dealers in general isn't it,

I am certain that without an invoice, a contract can't be held as good because as suggested, as I have no confirmation that the build I wanted is the build that is ordered or agreed to, then it leaves them open to all sorts of accusations.

They just want to hope I don't get the time to devote my whole attention to this.

#24 ·
Lucky you. All they have done is a one liner email about agreeing a price and a couple of short phone calls with a promise to do the build on line today.

I haven't a clue if they have got the correct specifications - looked at my emails, even confirmation of the price or a bill/invoice, just the £1k deposit taken.

I really don't give a s**t anymore. We will see what happens or not and take it from there. Brilliant isn't it, order a new car, treated like this and now I couldn't care less, so what.

Here's the email I got, personal info deleted.

Hi Mr X,

Yes i will do that deal for you. The £X to change.

We will need to conclude this asap to get the order in place. I have done this on the basis we will get a car for March.

If you are happy to go ahead and order the vehicle please call and ask for X who is aware of the deal and will look after your order going forward.

Kind regards

#25 ·
Indeed a sad state of affairs Highlander. They are seemingly not genuinely interested perhaps they're earning too much already. Personally I'd struggle not to walk away.

#26 ·
Wow! Such empathy and warmth pouring out of that email!! The general tone would indicate that you are nothing but a hindrance to them, and they really have no time for you, unless you are placing an order for a FFRR.

This apathy was quite prevalent back in the late '70's with Chrysler/Hillman dealers, and we can (mostly) all remember what happened to them!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.