Has anyone else got a burning smell/carbon monoxide coming into the cab of their discovery sport

All Discovery Sport related discussions
Barnsh

Re: Has anyone else got a burning smell/carbon monoxide coming into the cab of their discovery sport

Post by Barnsh » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:45 am

spikkyboy wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:00 pm
was only creeping along if i was going faster the skid on smooth paint theory may have some merit but at that speed? never had this happen before. lucky it was 9.30 on a sunday morning and the car park was empty. half hour later and i would have driven into whatever was in that gap. the sun rays light up the smoke if you look again.
Just so you are aware the tyre scrub/skip as it is called can happen at the slowest of speeds in fact it's worse on really slow speeds, doesn't need to be paint either just a smoothiish tarmac will suffice. Still worth asking for a full geometry check on steering I'd suggest.

I can see a faint haze in the sunlight .

Keep us updated on how you get on and any findings , it's certainly an interesting topic.
My18 FPace, 25t, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Hillwalker

Re: Has anyone else got a burning smell/carbon monoxide coming into the cab of their discovery sport

Post by Hillwalker » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:21 pm

I have got over 20,000 miles on the clock, never smelled anything suspicious at all. I accept that CO is odourless so I wouldn't smell it anyway but might smell exhaust fumes associated with its presence.

I find myself wondering if you would get the levels shown by a CO meter in any car in normal traffic if it is ventilated by the 'normal' outside air coming in through the heating/cooling system, and more so in a multi storey car park.

I know it sounds idiotic, just thinking aloud. Has anybody tried that?
SE Tech, 150, Ingenium, Firenze Red, Ebony interior, Privacy Glass, Service Pack. Rear View Camera, Spare Wheel.
Replaced with MY20 Evoque R-Dynamic D180 S White

spikkyboy

Post by spikkyboy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:55 am

there is a set of symptoms that come with the problem not just a smell and only at certain times. nothing for 5700 miles then again after 6400 then 7200. its not just a smell the car actually fills with smoke something is happening, possibly connected to DPF or Adblu but what ever it is should not be happening. More frustrating is Land Rovers response that because a fault cannot be identified then there is not a problem which I do not accept as an answer.

Alain v.s.

Post by Alain v.s. » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:19 am

Hello, thanks for these msg. Am facing exact similar issues with my new Discovery Sport HSE delivered in Belgium / Brussels in January 2018.
Problem started already after a week / a few 100’s km, with white smoke coming out of front area, together with smell and smoke inside the vehicle.
As recurrent (in average once a week)and very disturbing—forcing to open windows (without saying potentially really hazardous)finally brought it to the dealership but unfortunately unsuccessful fixing (claimed they replaced a filter, but clearly wasn’t the cause as ongoing).
Your diagnosis seems specific and I will return with your reference. Have you since been able to eliminate the issue? Is there a garage/ file number I could refer to to speedup my garage in solving the problem? Hoping you are still online as your problems have occurred a while ago. If anyone else has a ref allowing to return / replace the vehicle, would be great. Apart from that I love the vehicle... but this kills a lot of the joy...

spikkyboy

Post by spikkyboy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:03 pm

There was a seal omitted at the factory. Something to do with DPF to exhaust or regeneration unit. It did fix my issue after 9 months of loan cars and arguing. I lost all faith in Land Rover and now have a fantastic Ford Kuga and no issues. My brake pads and discs also rusted front and rear and they tried to charge me until I got info from this brilliant forum.

spikkyboy

Post by spikkyboy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:04 pm

My dealer was Marshall’s of Cambridge maybe they could contact them?

Hillwalker

Post by Hillwalker » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:11 pm

Spikyboy, I have had my DS for nearly 3 years and will take a lot of reassurances before I have another one, (which is a pity because it is potentially a brilliant car), so for the next change in 2019 I am thinking of a Ford Kuga too. Do you like it?
SE Tech, 150, Ingenium, Firenze Red, Ebony interior, Privacy Glass, Service Pack. Rear View Camera, Spare Wheel.
Replaced with MY20 Evoque R-Dynamic D180 S White

spikkyboy

Post by spikkyboy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:30 pm

We swapped the disco for a ford direct Kuga ST line lots of gadgets and great 4x4 got us to gatwick at 3am in a blizzard and six inches of snow. Slightly more toys on board than our HSE lux had. Good mpg and no issues. Slightly noisy 180hp diesel when outside the car but quiet inside. Slightly smaller so wife prefers driving it. We love it and it would take a lot to make us swap it now.

Chris b

Post by Chris b » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:05 pm

Just to redress the balance of this thread, I am over 58,000 miles and coming up to 3 years old without any gas/smell in the cabin. I have detected a very feint odour during DPF regeneration (easily detectable by the instant MPG going down!). I do a fair bit of motorway driving so gas temperature get up and I think I get a lot of natural regeneration.
I have had cam sensor and other software updates.
I have had the restricted performance a couple of times, once fixed by own shut down and restart.
I have had incorrect DEF quality detected a couple of times.
I have had corroded rear discs twice but all fixed under warranty and my DS has never let me down and dumped me at the side of the road, on the contrary, I would not have got my flight for business in November 2017 without it - 12 miles to the airport on untreated roads after a night of blizzards when I kept thinking that the more I got onto bigger roads the more they would be cleared - none of them were but I got there when many others didn't, Also muddy horse trials and agricultural show car parks conquered easily as others slid about.
Unlike others, I will have another one but remain fully forewarned about the gremlins - I have a good dealer!
2018 2.0 HSE Manual. FIrenze Red +Corris roof, black headlining & grey 18" wheels
Gone:
2015 DS 2.0 HSE Manual at 59k miles
2x Freelander 2 XS 09MY &13MY
2003 G4 Disco 2 Tangiers Orange
2x Discovery XS Tdi '97 Co. car then own '98 ex-demo

spikkyboy

Post by spikkyboy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:07 pm

The dealer is key. Unfortunately we had lying scum bags.