Has anyone else got a burning smell/carbon monoxide coming into the cab of their discovery sport

All Discovery Sport related discussions
Barnsh

Re: Has anyone else got a burning smell/carbon monoxide coming into the cab of their discovery sport

Post by Barnsh » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:17 pm

spikkyboy wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:11 pm
we have a 66 plate DS loan car with 1500 miles on.
Guess what, it just had a smokey fit while the wife was out shopping. No fault with the car tho lol
Hi
I noticed you said you had a video of this before, can you post it so we can get an idea of what you are seeing?
My18 FPace, 25t, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

spikkyboy

Re: Has anyone else got a burning smell/carbon monoxide coming into the cab of their discovery sport

Post by spikkyboy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:05 pm

i don't know how to make it available, the car is in a multi storey car park. we could smell and see smoke filling the car but the phone wasn't picking it up. Then as we went up and round the sun shines thru the smoke and bingo got it.

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:45 pm

spikkyboy wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:05 pm
i don't know how to make it available, the car is in a multi storey car park. we could smell and see smoke filling the car but the phone wasn't picking it up. Then as we went up and round the sun shines thru the smoke and bingo got it.
You'd need to put it on something like YouTube or Vimeo . When the b pillar issue was rife videos where posted up there.
My18 FPace, 25t, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone

green genie

Post by green genie » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:12 pm

I would like to say that whilst there may well be times when the use of social media is a way to apply pressure and the "threat" of bad publicity
can be useful, There is also a very real chance that long term damage can result. In this particular case it appears to be a rare occurrence and
whilst every sympathy and assistance should be given, the risk is that the general public will regard L.R. vehicles as "Faulty" with a resulting affect
on resale values etc,, Bad reputations are easily acquired, whether deserved or not, and very difficult to overcome.
It also appears that the "video" is not available for forum viewing, therefore hard to give fair comment.
Built # March 2016, 180 HSE AINTREE GREEN / ALMOND.
7 Seats, no spare, removable tow bar factory fit. 19" wheels.
Panoramic roof.
Location now Exeter Devon.

Bought @ Hunters , Southampton. :D

spikkyboy

Post by spikkyboy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:25 pm

Im not really looking for 'fair comment' Green.
I have been arguing with JLR since last September about this and kept being told no fault found despite them being aware of others with the same symptoms. I have rejected my car and been refused now my solicitor is taking them to court for breach of contract.
I am merely making other owners aware that they are not alone and there are many other known cases.
I don't like being lied to and I certainly don't like paying 50k for a car that fills with smoke every 700-900 miles along with various others mary celeste issues.

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:26 pm

green genie wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:12 pm
I would like to say that whilst there may well be times when the use of social media is a way to apply pressure and the "threat" of bad publicity
can be useful, There is also a very real chance that long term damage can result. In this particular case it appears to be a rare occurrence and
whilst every sympathy and assistance should be given, the risk is that the general public will regard L.R. vehicles as "Faulty" with a resulting affect
on resale values etc,, Bad reputations are easily acquired, whether deserved or not, and very difficult to overcome.
It also appears that the "video" is not available for forum viewing, therefore hard to give fair comment.
My request was so we can see it on the forum, we can't see it unless it's posted somewhere, that's all.
MY17 HSE 180 gone

green genie

Post by green genie » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:42 pm

Agreed, That is why I also asked to see it on the forum. When we can see the evidence we will be better able to comment/ assist.
Built # March 2016, 180 HSE AINTREE GREEN / ALMOND.
7 Seats, no spare, removable tow bar factory fit. 19" wheels.
Panoramic roof.
Location now Exeter Devon.

Bought @ Hunters , Southampton. :D

spikkyboy

Post by spikkyboy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:50 am

I have just posted a short edited clip from multi storey car park to show the smoke in our car.
The phone didn't really pick up on the amount of smoke but if you look as the suns rays shine through the car it does pick it up.
I then turned into a parking bay with plenty of turn but the car did not respond and went diagonally into the next gap so that I had to back up and have another go. Not bad driving i can assure you.
Here is the link hope it has worked. Full clip was 900mb too much to upload.
https://youtu.be/T-7bMG5CdSk

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:43 am

spikkyboy wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:50 am
I have just posted a short edited clip from multi storey car park to show the smoke in our car.
The phone didn't really pick up on the amount of smoke but if you look as the suns rays shine through the car it does pick it up.
I then turned into a parking bay with plenty of turn but the car did not respond and went diagonally into the next gap so that I had to back up and have another go. Not bad driving i can assure you.
Here is the link hope it has worked. Full clip was 900mb too much to upload.
https://youtu.be/T-7bMG5CdSk
Hi
I noticed it looks like you hit full lock just before you said the "steering went funny", could that be because of the lock applied and the carpark floor being pretty smooth.

Basically the car tyres cant grip and the motion forwards pushes the car straight or at an angle , but not at the angle you want or the wheels point. My old Volvo did this but only ever in my works car park every morning I parked up, ( pretty smooth surface) .
The normal case if it is this, is worse in winter or cold tyres and even worse with cold low profile tyres.
In summer or hot tyres the tyres sidewalks flex more and the side wall is more supple so the effect goes away.

If it is this it , sadly it is what most manufacturers are calling a characteristic, however if you ask the garage to do a full geometric set up on the wheels alignment it might just help and certainly can't do any harm.

Try going back to the same carpark same spot if poss and trying full lock on the same surface and see if you can recreate it, is what I would do.
Can't see smoke but looks hazy in the sun , thanks for posting the vid at least we can see what's happening.
MY17 HSE 180 gone

spikkyboy

Post by spikkyboy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:00 pm

was only creeping along if i was going faster the skid on smooth paint theory may have some merit but at that speed? never had this happen before. lucky it was 9.30 on a sunday morning and the car park was empty. half hour later and i would have driven into whatever was in that gap. the sun rays light up the smoke if you look again.