Has anyone else got a burning smell/carbon monoxide coming into the cab of their discovery sport

All Discovery Sport related discussions
NoMoreCrap

Has anyone else got a burning smell/carbon monoxide coming into the cab of their discovery sport

Post by NoMoreCrap » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:21 pm

Hello all, this is my first post. I'm writing this out of frustration and also to make people aware of the problems that I am experiencing.

I've read on a few different forums that there are people complaining about a burning smell coming through the air vents of their discovery sports. This normally occurs when the car is at a standstill after doing a small run (this normally happens when the engine has reached temperature.) the car has been taken into the dealership on more than four occasions for this fault to be diagnosed. On all four occasions they failed to diagnose what the fault was. I started to grow concerned when my two boys, nearly 14 years of age, all of a sudden, became travel sick. It was after speaking to a gas fitter that it was suggested that I might want to purchase a carbon monoxide detector . Sure enough, not only when the burning smell occurred but also without the burning smell, I was getting a reading of 30 parts per million. This didn't mean anything to me but apparently it is dangerous and particularly harmful to children. There are known cases of this in America in which it has put the driver to sleep while driving a vehicle and killed the occupants, I'm not in anyway saying that it's a discovery sport that they were driving and to my knowledge it wasn't.

I made a video to show Land Rover the carbon monoxide reading to which they did seem to take the issue seriously. They said that head office was not aware of any such burning smell being reported to them. I was essentially sent away and told to wait approximately a month before they could get my vehicle in for investigation to diagnose the fault. When asked what I should do in the meantime regarding the burning smell, the manager simply replied "put the re-circ on or wind the windows down". I wasn't happy with this and raised my dispute with Land Rover head office who got my car in earlier to be diagnosed. The senior technician showed me a picture that head office had sent him as to where to look for the fault. He also confirmed they were aware of the issue. The problem seems to be a part that connects to the catalytic converter being deformed, leaving a small gap allowing fumes to escape in to the cabin of the car. My car is still with the main dealer (about 12 days now) waiting for this part to be repaired. I have asked both the finance company and the main dealer if they would allow me to reject the car amicably to which they refused. My car has been in the main dealer over ten times for problems with the brakes squeaking, rear seat squeaking, other parts squeaking from the rear of the car, scratches being removed from the car on three separate occasions from being caused by the dealership washing the car when specifically being asked not to and finally, the back brake lights filling with water. Apparently, because they didn't find the fault for the burning smell on the first, second or third occasion, it does not qualify for the vehicle being rejected. Trying to reject the vehicle because the brakes are squeaking and also the damage caused to the body work doesn't qualify as a fault. Anyone who has a burning smell inside the car would be advised to buy a handheld carbon monoxide detector, in fact, I would recommend that anyone with a discovery sport should invest in a carbon monoxide detector as carbon monoxide is odourless. For those that already have or are thinking about investing in a carbon monoxide detector, don't assume everything is safe if the meter does not register immediately, it took a two hour run in the car for me to get the readings I got. I'm more than happy to post the video of the readings on YouTube should anyone be interested.

Phil B

Re: Has anyone else got a burning smell/carbon monoxide coming into the cab of their discovery sport

Post by Phil B » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:31 pm

Very worrying as we have the same issue. What confuses me is that Carbon Monoxide is supposed to be odourless, so that doesn't jibe with what you have experienced. I will buy the monitor......

NoMoreCrap

Re: Has anyone else got a burning smell/carbon monoxide coming into the cab of their discovery sport

Post by NoMoreCrap » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:44 pm

Because of the burning smell and my children feeling sick I bought the meter. I am aware it has no smell. I bought the meter to be safe in knowing there was no Carbon monoxide coming into the cab. It turns out I was getting high CO reading when we had no smell at all. There shouldn't be any CO entering the cab full stop. I hope you get your issue fixed. I brought my meter from Amazon. I was able to return it for a full refund within 15 days.

D3GGY

Post by D3GGY » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:13 pm

CO is odourless
Volvo XC60 B4 Inscription Pro

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:35 pm

It may be that the odourless CO is mixed with other gasses in the exhaust system thus generating the smell , which is a good thing in some respects as at least you know something isn't right.

Is there any commonality in the vehicles with this issue , I.e. Are they all built around the same time ?

I can't see the ORiginal Posters build or year of car , if JLR are aware of the defect I would expect a recall for an issue with this gravity.
My18 FPace, 25t, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

spikkyboy

Post by spikkyboy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:05 pm

Hi I hope that you have seen my many posts and comments on this issue.
We had a 65 DS HSE LUX xmas eve 15 some present.
This was out second car after a crankshaft oil seal fail at 600 miles on the first one.
All was fine until 9 months old. Then as you had exactly the same thing. A short run, car up to temp, came into town traffic and smoke coming from under the car and up into the cabin. Wife felt like it was on fire and jumped out so we missed whatever messages flashed up. She noticed the stop start failed, radio went off, sat nav and park sensors.
No fault found and car returned, probably a bag or piece of plastic they said. Nobody else has this issue only us!
Had our car back about 7 weeks and done approx 700 miles when it happened again, this time much worse and multiple times.
They had our car for TWO whole months and drove 800 miles to return saying sorry no fault found.
Two weeks later we were on a trip to surrey and at traffic lights the stop start failed to operate.
I said to my wife quick its happening again and she started to film on her phone.
We had just pulled out of a 4 lane one way system and into a multi storey car park with a lot of smoke in the car.
I had to try and make level 8 for the pedestrian access bridge.
As i came to 8 and pulled into a parking space this time i noticed the steering felt 'slow' i put plenty of turn on the wheel to park but got about a 50% response which meant that i drifted half across the next space. very worrying. We always have a set of symptoms not just the smoke. I am an ex Ford engineer and maybe noticed more of what was going on who knows?
We again had the car towed back, Land Rover Finance and the dealers said we could not reject the car the first two times but are still awaiting a reply on this one.
I do now have a solicitor on stand by pending this outcome. We do have six years under the sale of goods act if the goods are not fit for purpose or of merchantable quality so I think that we have them on both here.
Our car has been away for three weeks so far. I had a call from JLR to say dealers found a faulty seal in the adblu system but this did not explain the electrical issues. I am hearing that this fix is not being applied nationally which is strange as 'no other cars have the same issue'
Basically there is a lot of lying going on. JLR know full well that this problem is happening, its Evoques too lets not forget as one service guy did slip out with that little bit of info.
I have had a number of contacts from my original post and can put together a case that this is a bigger issue than is being admitted.
Thanks for the CO tip, if we have to take the car back again i will surely be getting one.
If they really want to deny an issue and are saying that it is only one car then a £135 advert in the Times motoring section may flush out a few more cases? Yes I'm already on to that one.
I am also in touch with Auto Weekly, What Car, Trading Standards and VOSA so have not been idle.
If we get it again, my car will end up outside a dealers or the head office with signs on it as I am about done.
I just want my money back and I will go and buy a Kuga with 20k change.
If anybody wants to get together then Private message me and we can stop details.
Maybe one solicitor will take on a group rejection case?
Keep everybody informed here, thank god for this forum or we would be alone.
Glad im not imagining it, going mad or making it up as was previously implied by JLR

NoMoreCrap

Post by NoMoreCrap » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:27 pm

D3GGY; read my post completely put before replying. I am very aware carbon monoxide is odourless but I also made it clear that the readings were obtained with and without the burning smell present.

Barnsh: my car is a 16 plate SE Tech TD4 A The car was brand-new when I purchased it 22nd May last year. Originally head office was not aware of this issue. However after seeing my video they were aware of the issue and knew exactly where to look for the fault. It was only when I threatened to go to the newspapers that I find myself being putt into a very nice courtesy car. This I'm sure was only to pacify me while I wait patiently for my car to be repaired. Its still not been repaired as I was previously made aware the part that needs to be replaced hasn't been made yet, in fact, it doesn't even exist yet. There is no way I am the only one out there with this problem. I'm willing to bet that there are people out there with no burning smell that also have high levels of carbon monoxide entering the cab with this particular model of car. Land Rover are being incredibly dismissive about the whole thing. I am now in communication with the motoring ombudsman in relation to rejecting my car as it's not fit for purpose.

spikkyboy

Post by spikkyboy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:36 pm

Yes motoring ombudsman for us too. Maybe they will see a link with the similar cases.

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:09 am

NoMoreCrap wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:27 pm
D3GGY; read my post completely put before replying. I am very aware carbon monoxide is odourless but I also made it clear that the readings were obtained with and without the burning smell present.

Barnsh: my car is a 16 plate SE Tech TD4 A The car was brand-new when I purchased it 22nd May last year. Originally head office was not aware of this issue. However after seeing my video they were aware of the issue and knew exactly where to look for the fault. It was only when I threatened to go to the newspapers that I find myself being putt into a very nice courtesy car. This I'm sure was only to pacify me while I wait patiently for my car to be repaired. Its still not been repaired as I was previously made aware the part that needs to be replaced hasn't been made yet, in fact, it doesn't even exist yet. There is no way I am the only one out there with this problem. I'm willing to bet that there are people out there with no burning smell that also have high levels of carbon monoxide entering the cab with this particular model of car. Land Rover are being incredibly dismissive about the whole thing. I am now in communication with the motoring ombudsman in relation to rejecting my car as it's not fit for purpose.
Thanks for the reply , it seems looking at the other post the date of build is quite widely spread, so not a "bad batch" so to speak.
It has to come from the exhaust / DPF/ egr system as that's the only place there would be CO, but you also then have to factor in the exhaust systems are differently configured on models depending on spare wheels and tow bar options chosen.

One thing worth noting if folks put cars in for repair in the first 6 months , and at the back of their mind is rejection, is to make sure you tell the dealership that you are requesting a "statutory repair" not a "warranty repair", this little word change makes a big difference as this is the one attempt at a repair being given and there is no room for manoeuvring by the dealer later on.

Over 6 months the onus is on you to prove the fault existed when new for rejection purposes in the first 6 years.

Obviously the defect has to be major and not minor as classified in the Consumer rights act .
My18 FPace, 25t, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

NoMoreCrap

Post by NoMoreCrap » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:04 am

For those interested please see video: https://youtu.be/qbyQ8CSRljU