Water from the tailgate on opening

All Discovery Sport related discussions
CFB

Re: Water from the tailgate on opening

Post by CFB » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:54 am

Looked at mine today and as per post above there is no pinch strip fitted to my car (MY16). Is it only fitted to the auto-tailgate?
2016 SE Auto - Fuji white + privacy glass

LR-Phan

Post by LR-Phan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:43 am

Although I've not experienced a real problem regarding water dropping from the tailgate, I did raise with my dealer at first service if there was a 'fix' they needed to apply. Like others, I was advised that LR had not issued any instructions about water ingress or modifications to tailgate: I did not then have the relevant Topix reference.

It is certainly useful to have the images and instructions about how to drill holes to solve the problem. However, since mention has been made about these holes becoming blocked, I wonder if there isn't an alternative solution. Surely, if the issue arises from water collecting in the 'cups' for the mounting clips, It may simply be better to fill the void in those cups with a suitable removable substance. What immediately comes to mind is one of the readily available expanding foam fillers or even 'Blutack' or plasticine, which can easily be dug out should you need to replace the clips. This overcomes any reluctance to drill into your pride and joy and there are no holes to block! That said, I've not yet got around to trying it myself and maybe I am misunderstanding the problem.
HSE Auto Scotia Grey, memory seats, privacy glass, service pack & a few other bits & bobs. Gestation period about the same as a goat but here at last!

Weyboat

Post by Weyboat » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:05 am

It says a lot about Land Rover and its Dealers with their heads firmly stuck in the sand whilst owners of circa 40 -50K vehicles are contemplating fixing them with Plasticine!
Discovery Sport HSE Black 180 Auto in Firenze Red ordered 15/9/2016 from Westover Land Rover Christchurch and cancelled on 10th October 2016

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:19 pm

Weyboat wrote:It says a lot about Land Rover and its Dealers with their heads firmly stuck in the sand whilst owners of circa 40 -50K vehicles are contemplating fixing them with Plasticine!
:lol: :lol: :? :shock:
But plasticine would also sort the b pillar tick too , multi tool .
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Mrrena31

Post by Mrrena31 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:24 pm

My dealer has just told me there is no fix - this is how it is!

great info on here - thanks guys.

Hopefully they will sort when it goes for MIG welding on 28/12/ to solve B pillar on off side

Dave

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:00 am

Mrrena31 wrote:My dealer has just told me there is no fix - this is how it is!

great info on here - thanks guys.

Hopefully they will sort when it goes for MIG welding on 28/12/ to solve B pillar on off side

Dave
How old is your DS ?
Wondering why the dealer doesn't know about the fix for pinch strip ?
And also the b pillar issue is a worry too.

Hope the welding goes ok.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Mrrena31

Post by Mrrena31 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:37 am

I picked up my DS on 3/9/16.

I will have a look at the fixings today around the boot.

I also have the 1600 RPM dashboard vibration!

Love the car but rapidly being put off!
LR won't discuss rejection until the welding has been tried.
17MY. HSE Auto. Santorini Black,Ebony head lining, Meridian sound system,Privacy glass,Service pack, Seat covers,Delivered 03/09/16.

Complete with B pillar ticking at no extra cost!

philn

Post by philn » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:57 am

Looking at some of posts on here you DON'T have to have B pillar welded as car isn't fit for purpose, try to insist you won't
accept it, as it is temperature dependant it may be months before it reoccurs.
MERC GLC43
GONE MY15 HSE AUTO LUXURY, FIRENZA/IVORY

PaulCP

Post by PaulCP » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:33 am

Mrrena31 wrote:I picked up my DS on 3/9/16.

Unacceptable response and they know it, which I guess is coming from your dealer. They are just trying it on.
Now: Lexus RX 450h F Sport + Premier Pack
GONE Jan 2018:- HSE Lux Firenze Red (MY17), Ivory Interior, Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Headlights, Surround Cameras,

Previous: Range Rover Sport HSE Black Edn, Ipanema Sand

wheels81

Post by wheels81 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:15 pm

Mrrena31 wrote:I picked up my DS on 3/9/16.
When did you report to your dealer that you had a problem with the B pillar, was it within the first 30 days?
Also, how did you pay?

You don't have to provide the seller any opportunity to fix.
Within the first 30 days ANY fault is presumed to exist as a manufacturing defect.
Within 31-180 days you may need to show you did not cause the fault through mis-use (BPillar qualifies for that as its a known fault)

Your right (if you paid cash, or that of your finance company) as the buyer is to receive the item you purchased free of any defects. If the seller has not provided this, then they are in breach of contract.
You can "demand" a refund if that is what you want. The seller can not place any clauses around the refund. Its the law. (in the case of motor cars they can charge you a small amount for usage - tell them to get bent, and you want 100%. Dont' back down. They will concede.)

You can "request" a replacement or a repair - the decision about which of those you take is YOURS, not the sellers. This means you can decide you want the item replaced and not repaired. If they refuse, they are still in breach, which gives you huge potential to claim for consequential losses.
(Note the consumer rights act now says that a buyer can request a repair instead of replacement, only if the cost of repair is not prohibitory expensive versus a replacement) the important bit is that its your choice - not the dealers,

Finally if the vendor is in breach of contract, they could be carrying a significant liability in terms of compensation -
There are other threads on here with more info, and its a bit more complicated if you bought on finance, but worst case (for the dealer) is that you can force them ( the dealer - NOT JLR) to buy you a Mercedes or BMW. They will move heaven and earth to make sure that does not happen! - Turn the screws, your the buyer - you hold all the power.

my usual disclaimer - please don't believe a word I say. I'm just some fool on the internet with no relevant qualifications - but these guys know their stuff, and are well worth scheduling a call with http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk
MY17 SE-Tech 180 Manual 7 Seats + Spare. TSR, Reverse Cam, Privacy Glass, Santorini Black roof.

Return to “Main Discovery Sport chat”