Water from the tailgate on opening

All Discovery Sport related discussions
Hillwalker

Re: Water from the tailgate on opening

Post by Hillwalker » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:59 pm

I get the delayed soaking about 10 seconds after opening the tailgate on a rainy day, will bring it to the dealer's attention when she goes in for service .
SE Tech, 150, Ingenium, Firenze Red, Ebony interior, Privacy Glass, Service Pack. Rear View Camera, Spare Wheel.

Discodoug

Post by Discodoug » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:08 pm

I've had the same issues as others on this forum with water running into the boot after opening the tailgate. This was a bigger problem on the left side, rarely happening on the right. I too took it back to the dealers who enlarged the holes in the trim. Unfortunately this did not resolve my problem. On further inspection I decided to try to re-route the water by sticking gaffa tape across the rubber trim where the black wire enters it but leaving an escape route on the left of the trim. Doesn't look great but it seems to be working - for now! The water drips harmlessly into the frame gutter. Photo attached. Since writing this post some water did blow into the boot, I need to do some more homework!!

Tailgate fix.jpg

Last edited by Discodoug on Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PaulTheWall

Post by PaulTheWall » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:50 pm

If you are still getting water dripping after the "fix" they haven't drilled holes in all the water traps
NOW SOLD ,DSHSE Auto,Barolo Black,Black pack,Bonnet Vents,225 BHP,22inch 265/35/22 wheels,Ebony/Ebony interior,Memory seats,Meridian sound system,DualViewTV ,Privacy glass,Black roof bars,Service pack,Ceramic coating,Delivered 17/04/15

Charly777

Post by Charly777 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:39 pm

I've just joined the club !! Opened tailgate, torrent of water out of left hand side :o
Mercedes GLE 250D 4Matic Sport
HSE MY16 AUTO SCOTIA GREY (SOLD)

Discodoug

Post by Discodoug » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:10 pm

Subsequent to my last post I have taped across the top of the seal completely in an attempt to stop water getting into the seal. This does seem to be successful. Seeing my fix, the dealer has offered to replace my tape with some sealant but for the moment I will keep my repair and see how it goes on. Doesn't look great though!
I have also returned to the dealer as the interior trim across the top of the tailgate was coming loose and rattling. There was a clip missing from the left hand end and the dealer replaced that and the other 3 clips which have been modified since delivery of my car in September 2016. They have a chunkier black rubber seal which should be more serviceable, fingers crossed.

Mrrena31

Post by Mrrena31 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:51 pm

I have put some tape by the wire. Waiting for a rainy day to see if it works
17MY. HSE Auto. Santorini Black,Ebony head lining, Meridian sound system,Privacy glass,Service pack, Seat covers,Delivered 03/09/16.

Complete with B pillar ticking at no extra cost!

Discodoug

Post by Discodoug » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:56 pm

Shouldn’t have to wait too long!!

Garddelan

Post by Garddelan » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:52 pm

Charly777 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:39 pm
I've just joined the club !! Opened tailgate, torrent of water out of left hand side :o

+1 :x
March 17 DS HSE Black 180, Firenze Red, Adaptive Dynamics, Vision Assist, Privacy, 10 way seats, InControl Secure, Electric Towbar
Previous LR's: D4 SDV6 MY14 XS, D4 TDV6 XS MY10, Freelander 2 XS, Freelander 1
My 5th LR supplied by Conwy Land Rover

Discodoug

Post by Discodoug » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:20 am

As a temporary measure try taping over the top of the seal where the black wire enters it. I've used gaffa tape which sticks surprisingly well and so far it has worked. I will take it to the dealer for them to seal it with proper compound. Their fix of enlarging the factory solution of drain holes in the trim didn't work. Cracking car let down by silly niggles.

simon

Post by simon » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:14 pm

I see there is a new technical bulletin on this and the tailgate creaking, anyone with a TOPIx sub care to take a look and tell us whats new ?

LTB00980v6
17MY D5 HSE in Farallon Black 8-)

Traded in - 17MY HSE Lux Corris Grey with Black Design Pack

Rejected - 16MY HSE Lux with Black Design Pack (B-Pillar & Build Quality Issues)

All supplied by the very excellent Shukers of Ludlow

Return to “Main Discovery Sport chat”