Discovery Sport Forum banner

Shower when opening tailgate

64K views 150 replies 58 participants last post by  Mamil 
#148 ·
My MY20 DS gives me a shower when opening the tailgate after a rainstorm. It happens on both sides and I am considering drilling a couple of holes in the plastic. Has anyone else seen this phenomenon or got a better fix ? Thanks

See less See more
#129 ·
I've now just joined this club. Just been in for a non related DPF fault and the night after i picked it up i noticed the rear parcel shelf had a big stain on it.
Another trip back to the dealer. 7th this year for various issues.

No chance i'll be buying another DS!!!!!!!

#131 ·
I can live with standing clear of the lid.

I cant live with the rear parcel shelf resembling a swimming pool and being all stained!

#133 ·
I had this problem on my DS not long after I got the car. A delayed downpour from both sides of the tailgate, not good when parked on a steep slope as it pours straight into the car. Dealer fixed the problem but leak returned on one side...dealer fixed again. I've not had a repeat of the problem in the last 18 months, my drive is very steep and we've had a few torrential downpours in the last few weeks!

#134 ·
I only really noticed when the tail gate started open and closing randomly and getting stuck

Clearly water stuck there somewhere!

#136 ·
Jim Shoe said:
I only really noticed when the tail gate started open and closing randomly and getting stuck

Tailgate opening and closing randomly is water ingress into the number plate lights harness as it operates the boot release button. JLR messed up again when doing testing for ppap as parts not fit for purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#137 ·
A team said:
Jim Shoe said:

Tailgate opening and closing randomly is water ingress into the number plate lights harness as it operates the boot release button. JLR messed up again when doing testing for ppap as parts not fit for purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great, so I've got 2 problems then!!!!

#139 ·
I raised this with the dealer last time I was in and was told it was supposed to be like that to let the water out so I asked them to fix the other side as it didn't poor water down my wife's neck.

They ordered up a set of new seals and it's been fine ever since.

#140 ·
Mine's just back from dealer after fix for water leaks from tailgate. Tech explained that a kit had been used to replace parts inside the large plastic trim item which "frames" the rear window. I had expected this to involve the squidgy rubber boot seals, but apparently not. Can't quite see how this will help.

Those pesky leaks always were kind of intermittent. I hope I've just used the correct tense!

#141 ·
Water is allowed to enter the shut lines on all cars, unfortunately on DS this ends up trapped on ledges, so when boot lid raises these ledges tip water off, the cure is to remove the ledges or drill holes to allow ledges to drain back into the shut lines and away

#142 ·
Are there any further updates on this problem? my car is on a 68 plate but has just started doing this after 6 months of ownership but it seems like its a long standing problem.
Its already had an early oil change and is due in for a new DPF heat shield fitted so this will be item Number 3.............NOT IMPRESSED

#143 ·
I sold mine as it was one of a number of niggles that I couldn't be bothered with especially the leaking tailgate

I also had a new heat shield and dpf fitted

Traded it in for a 2020 model and have had no problems with the new model

#144 ·
So I have just been out and had a look at mine.
The electric tailgate has the electronic anti pinch strip on it and 3 of the plastic poppers that clip into the tail gate have drain holes in the back of them.
As expected all three holes on both the left and right hand side strips were full of road gunk and needed a clean out. Refitted it all and it seems OK.
So the issue Ive suffered just seems to be water not draining out of the anti pinch drip and tipping over you when the boot is opened.

#146 ·
Posiden, you ought to be getting a new DPF complete as LR don't repair (fit new heat shields to) DPF's
Make sure you get this!!

#147 ·
PedroT said:
Posiden, you ought to be getting a new DPF complete as LR don't repair (fit new heat shields to) DPF's
Make sure you get this!!
Correct, this is what I was told when they replaced my full dpf after having a rattling heat shield

#151 ·
My MY20 DS gives me a shower when opening the tailgate after a rainstorm. It happens on both sides and I am considering drilling a couple of holes in the plastic. Has anyone else seen this phenomenon or got a better fix ? Thanks

View attachment 12852
I can't believe this problem is still going on with 2020 models after JLR knew about the problem way back in 2016!
After my original post back in 2016 showing how to drill drain holes in the anti-pinch strip as per technical bulletin LTB00896, I've not had a problem in the seven years since, so I'd still say this is the most effective fix for early models.

Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Font Electric blue

However, since 2018 I believe the anti-pinch strips have been modified as version 2 of the technical bulletin published on 7th Feb 2018 no longer advises drilling holes, but instead says to just replace the anti-pinch strips with new ones, which presumably already have the drain holes in them?

Product Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot

So yours being a 2020 model would presumably already have the modified anti-pinch strips, so I can only suggest that maybe the holes have become blocked for some reason - like parking under trees in the rain - and so aren't doing their job anymore, and would suggest taking the anti-pinch strips off and cleaning out the holes as a first step and take it from there. They are reasonably easy to pull of as just held on by five trim clips.

Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Font Vehicle

Reactions: County