2022 Specification changes

All Discovery Sport related discussions
Andy131

Re: 2022 Specification changes

Post by Andy131 » Sat May 22, 2021 10:22 am

Call me a cynic but if the car is going to log, and you turn off the speed limiter, and have an accident, insurance company asks to see the log and therefore can see that you were deliberately speeding (rather than giving you the doubt that you accidentally were speeding) = no insurance sir.
Even better you have turned it off, but were not speeding and someone else drives into you, the insurance company can still worm out of paying up as you deliberately turned off a safety device. That it wasn't a contributing factor will not bother the insurance company they have a (tenuous) excuse it's all that they seem to need.
I am aware that even my 2019 DS can actually log various actions such as speed and G force, but this is not common across cars currently, so isn't standard procedure to interrogate the ECU, but it sounds like the time is coming.

While we are on the subject of "Intelligent" speed limiters, my DS has up to date maps, and sign recognition, at least once every journey (and often over a dozen times) it gets the speed limit wrong.
Like the stop/start that cuts the engine just as you are about to pull out of a junction it's going to be another button press that you make immediately after starting the engine.

Even better a vehicle that logs and has it's own SIM card - big brother really can watch you.

OK I am an old grumpy cynic and accept that the legislation may be in part well intentioned, but in reality traffic does actually flow 10% above the speed limit, and if you don't some idiot will crawl right up your exhaust pipe, often in something much larger than a DS, not going to make life any safer for a long time until every vehicle has it fitted, and then you will get the same as happens with HGVs where one HGV speed limiter is 1mph faster than the next and it takes hours for it to pass the "slower" vehicle.
2018 DS HSE 240D
2016 DS HSE auto, for 45k nice (grey!) car.
2014 Ewok for 6 months, really really rubbish.
2008 FL2 for 185k miles, should have kept her.
2006 FL1 for 110k miles, brilliant car.
2000 FL1 for 100k miles, fell apart but started the LR bug

sandbox

Post by sandbox » Sat May 22, 2021 10:42 am

You are still responsible for the vehicle including its speed. This is a driver assistance aid but does NOT replace your responsibilities. Therefore, if you are speeding, you should be prosecuted appropriately.

If I get tailgated, then I follow the safest option. Usually it is to slow down to provide more time for everyone to react if needed. If they are persistent then I might even pull over.

I am not going to get points because someone else is breaking the law.

2016 D180 Auto

Andy131

Post by Andy131 » Sat May 22, 2021 11:58 am

Currently a driver assistance aid granted.
But like adblue, later to be mandatory and unable to be turned off. At that point it stops being an aid.
Slowly the operator is being factored out of the equation, great if the machine in question is making thousands of identical widgets, a killer if the environment is not consistent.
Give the operator less and less input and attention will fail.
2018 DS HSE 240D
2016 DS HSE auto, for 45k nice (grey!) car.
2014 Ewok for 6 months, really really rubbish.
2008 FL2 for 185k miles, should have kept her.
2006 FL1 for 110k miles, brilliant car.
2000 FL1 for 100k miles, fell apart but started the LR bug

sandbox

Post by sandbox » Sat May 22, 2021 12:01 pm

Andy131 wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 11:58 am
Currently a driver assistance aid granted.
But like adblue, later to be mandatory and unable to be turned off. At that point it stops being an aid.
Slowly the operator is being factored out of the equation, great if the machine in question is making thousands of identical widgets, a killer if the environment is not consistent.
Give the operator less and less input and attention will fail.
That isn’t what the road safety stats say. Driver aids and safety features have significantly reduced death and serious injury. Speed is by far the biggest killer and remember we are trying to save pedestrians and other road users. Not just the driver.

Not sure what Adblue has to do with road safety though. But remember people didn’t want seat belts when they first became mandatory.

While you might be able to drive safely, most people on the roads don’t. Then there are the situations where even a safe driver can get into difficulty. I see nothing wrong with trying to make the roads a safe as possible.
2016 D180 Auto

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Sat May 22, 2021 1:05 pm

Paul41 wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 9:02 pm
Anyone know if ISL (intelligent speed limiters) will be active on MY 2022 cars before January 1st next year & or will they be compulsory switched on for MY22 cars registered this year when 2022 arrives???? (obviously they are built in to the 22MY DS software I presume)

For anyone unaware what’s coming our way regarding ISL
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/ ... d-limiters
I thought that question might kick something off.

Andy131 wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 10:22 am
I am aware that even my 2019 DS can actually log various actions such as speed and G force, but this is not common across cars currently, so isn't standard procedure to interrogate the ECU, but it sounds like the time is coming.
Various parts of the car log speed and other, perhaps relevant to them data already. There was recently a program on RTC Investigation in South Wales where LR interrogated an ECU from a crashed car so the police could know the speed, and another where the airbag ECU was sent back to Japan to find the speed of the car.

One of the cars was a L322 Range Rover that was literally broken in two and the police couldn’t understand it, they thought the car may have been a cut and shut but it turned out the coked up and drunk driver was doing 100mph when it left the road.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

SteveT

Post by SteveT » Sat May 22, 2021 2:34 pm

So....just had a call from dealer and although mine was ordered mid March, it missed the end of the MY21 build commitments and will defo be a MY22..they also admitted that the factory has still not resumed production and won’t until mid June and my delivery will slip to end August or even early September even though it missed the MY21 build cut off date by only a week.
DS MY18 HSE Luxury TD4 Auto 180
Santorini Black, 19" Black Wheels
On Order MY21 (now prob MY22) DS R-DYNAMIC HSE D200 MHEV, Carpathian Grey, 20" 5089s Gloss Black Wheels, privacy glass

dangrenade

Post by dangrenade » Sun May 23, 2021 2:27 am

SteveT wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 2:34 pm
So....just had a call from dealer and although mine was ordered mid March, it missed the end of the MY21 build commitments and will defo be a MY22..they also admitted that the factory has still not resumed production and won’t until mid June and my delivery will slip to end August or even early September even though it missed the MY21 build cut off date by only a week.
Ordered mine after yours Steve in Apr and was told this week it was still a MY21 with massage seats I’d configured so someone might be telling porkies.

The only thing I can think of is that because I ordered the massage seats (that aren’t on the MY22) then they will still build mine to a MY21 spec as requested. Either that or the dealers are just making it up as they go along.
MY17 DS HSE 180 in Farallon Black with privacy glass and black wheels
Ordered: R-Dynamic HSE P300e in Namib Orange, Black roof and wheels with all the bells and whistles.

SteveT

Post by SteveT » Sun May 23, 2021 9:59 am

Who knows what the truth is mate, I had a second source at another dealer also tell me the production is still closed and no more MY21s could be built as the system was now updated and all MY21 slots were cancelled and were awaiting new MY22 slots to be published. We do seem to know the factory appears to be unattended. I assume items that are still technically available committed on current orders could be added as specials on MY22 builds where there is no new replacement. I guess as there is no change to the platform between the two models, it’s just semantics what MY is actually defined. The main issue for me is having to wait until production resumes and the new slots are committed on a first come first service basis and being pushed out to end August or early September when I was so close the the original build slot. It means I will probably lose some of the current albeit unexpected equity I have gained on my current vehicle possibly due in part due to the availability shortfall due to the delay...

I would be interested to hear of any new deliveries of either MY as an indication of what is actually happening.
DS MY18 HSE Luxury TD4 Auto 180
Santorini Black, 19" Black Wheels
On Order MY21 (now prob MY22) DS R-DYNAMIC HSE D200 MHEV, Carpathian Grey, 20" 5089s Gloss Black Wheels, privacy glass

Kpstratton

Post by Kpstratton » Tue May 25, 2021 12:35 pm

I'm currently awaiting a proper update on my MY21 order that was placed mid April.

Original order was P250, R-Dynamic HSE, 5+2, Firenze, Adaptive Dynamics, Heated Steering Wheel, Privacy glass. With the updates, to get the same spec as ordered I'd need to add 5+2 seats, Clearview, 360 camera, which would add £1,000 to the cost.

My dealer has advised that "if the car is built as a MY22, you won't lose any spec as everything will be price protected by JLR" - this sounds positive, but I have asked specifically if the above options will definitely be included with no impact to the cost etc.

They provided no update on the production dates, so in theory looking at a delivery end Aug in theory.

RPR

Post by RPR » Tue May 25, 2021 2:34 pm

Kpstratton wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 12:35 pm
I'm currently awaiting a proper update on my MY21 order that was placed mid April.

Original order was P250, R-Dynamic HSE, 5+2, Firenze, Adaptive Dynamics, Heated Steering Wheel, Privacy glass. With the updates, to get the same spec as ordered I'd need to add 5+2 seats, Clearview, 360 camera, which would add £1,000 to the cost.

My dealer has advised that "if the car is built as a MY22, you won't lose any spec as everything will be price protected by JLR" - this sounds positive, but I have asked specifically if the above options will definitely be included with no impact to the cost etc.

They provided no update on the production dates, so in theory looking at a delivery end Aug in theory.
Have you got that in writing?
MY18 Indus Silver HSE Black Edition 2.0 TD4 180 ICTP 825w Meridian Audio, Hi Res audio