Discovery Sport Forum banner

Silent tyres??

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  RafflesNH 
#1 ·
Hi all, I need to put a couple of new tyres on my DS, currently continental lx sport silent, has anybody put "non silent" tyres on and noticed any significant difference.
I had a puncture in one before and had to replace it as the tyre place claimed it couldn't be repaired due to the sponge inside so I'm reluctant to put them on again.
Thanks for your help!

#2 ·
Hi, not really heard of silent or non-silent tyres in that contest, I see various online tyre vendors have 'tyre noise' as a differentiator to assist selection so I'm not sure if whether or not a tyre has the foam inner lining means it's a silent (or quieter) tyre or not. I couldn't tell you if the Pirellis had the foam or not for example.

#4 ·
Hi.
My new car has come with Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season M&S tyres (235/50 R20 104W), and when I went to Pirelli's website to garner a bit more info about them, I discovered they employ a new noise reduction technology they call 'PCNS' (Pirelli Noise Cancelling System). Basically, foam sponge layered inside the tyre wall, it seems.
https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-gb/car/catalogue/product/scorpion-zero-all-season/235_50-r20?ipcode=3642200

As I have not driven an earlier model Disco Sport with Continental tyres (I believe), I cannot compare the noise levels. But on the limited amount of driving I have done on the Pirellis, I have found the cabin noise to be quite acceptable, even though I don't have the extra sound deadening capability of the solar windscreen glass (if that makes any difference to tyre roar!).

Nigel

#5 ·
RafflesNH said:
Hi.
My new car has come with Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season M&S tyres (235/50 R20 104W), and when I went to Pirelli's website to garner a bit more info about them, I discovered they employ a new noise reduction technology they call 'PCNS' (Pirelli Noise Cancelling System). Basically, foam sponge layered inside the tyre wall, it seems.
https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-gb/car/catalogue/product/scorpion-zero-all-season/235_50-r20?ipcode=3642200

As I have not driven an earlier model Disco Sport with Continental tyres (I believe), I cannot compare the noise levels. But on the limited amount of driving I have done on the Pirellis, I have found the cabin noise to be quite acceptable, even though I don't have the extra sound deadening capability of the solar windscreen glass (if that makes any difference to tyre roar!).

Nigel
Apologies, it seems the PNCS system is only available on some Scorpion Zero tyre sizes, and does not seem to include my tyre (235/50 R20) :roll:

Nigel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.