PHEV 4wd when battery is flat - how ?

All Discovery Sport related discussions
Barnsh

Re: PHEV 4wd when battery is flat - how ?

Post by Barnsh » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:52 am

Andy131 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:48 am
I am soooo glad I went for the non-electric option. There is a recipe for reliability of KISS = Keep it Simple Stupid and this looks like a lot of things to go badly wrong, and after the warranty expires expensively wrong at dealership rates - most independents will take years to get up to speed with the requirement of high voltage traction systems.
For the majority of users they need lots of power to get up to speed, then a lot less to maintain the speed at legal limits, so battery boost up to speed then a poxy 3 pot engine to keep you moving is probably OK. How about dragging a caravan through the Pyrenees or down to Cornwall, not going to work. Or a horse box any distance - heavy & aerodynamic as a parachute.
Plus winter cold weather will be a battery killer too , just when you need AWD up a long slippery snowy hill. Or how does it perform once stuck on a motorway for 5 hours in a blizzard . Lots to look out for with the early adopters .
My18 FPace, 25t, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:32 am

I think your overthinking things, this is a soft roader not bowler defender.

The front wheels will do the majority of the work, aided by the rears been self powered rather than needing dragging
Narvik 250P hse, lovely

Andy131

Post by Andy131 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:28 pm

See I disagree, It's a Land Rover and is sold as such - even though it no longer says so on the bonnet !
We took our second Freelander 1 through the Sahara, ripped out the rear seats, fitted a roof tent, underbody protection a decent fridge and away we went. Yes I got a LOT of grief at the start about it being a hair dressers car (very nearly came to blows), several days in and the jokes had stopped. A couple of weeks in and even the Defender (series III) that were with us had to admit she did everything that they could do in the sand, and had coped admirably with the rough stuff in the Atlas mountains.
They did refuse a tow though when they got stuck (we all did), pictures of a Freelander towing a (His) Defender were never going to appear on the internet he would rather have rolled it.
BMW x5 now that's a soft roader.
2018 DS HSE Lux.
2017 DS HSE auto, for 45k nice (grey!) car.
2014 Ewok for 6 months, really really rubbish.
2008 FL2 for 185k miles, should have kept her.
2006 FL1 for 110k miles, brilliant car.
2000 FL1 for 100k miles, fell apart but started the LR bug

Jonnyvtec

Post by Jonnyvtec » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:50 pm

See the off road stance...Electric rear motor is far more controllable rather than slipping various clutch’s to allow the car to modulate the power from a source that has to be spinning Atleast 12times a seconds (an engine)

pcheaven

Post by pcheaven » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:06 pm

Agreed.
My ipace was very impressive off road ( grass and mud on steep inclines )
Orange DS HSE +toys
Other JLR products

Derbyshire Redcap

Post by Derbyshire Redcap » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:01 am

Surely the answer was given above. If you know that you are going into the rough, be sure to save enough battery power. Belt-driven generators aren't powerful enough to create the sort of instantaneous DC torque required to clamber up a gravel/mud track. Added to which the total power from the 3-pot 1.5 L is only 200 HP to begin with. It's a reasonably tax efficient Chelsea Tractor. But this is not why car makers want to sell us plug in hybrids. Not by a long chalk.

Say you are considering a DISCOVERY SPORT R-DYNAMIC SE D200 AWD AUTOMATIC MHEV at £45,725 OTR. This car is rated at 183 g/km so each one sold costs JLR €4,825 in emissions charges from January 1st 2021.

If the salesman can persuade you to switch to a DISCOVERY SPORT R-DYNAMIC SE P300e AWD AUTOMATIC PHEV, your initial payment of £49,210 immediately puts another £3,485 into the coffers. But that's nothing compared to the effect on JLR's emissions fine. If the car ends up being rated at 44 g/km (not likely) this single purchase stands to save the manufacturer an additional €13,205. Looked at another way, buy a p300e and you are effectively subsidising part of somebody's £179K Range Rover Autobiography (€21,000+ in emissions fines to JLR).

This is the real reason they want us all to switch like sheep to PHEVs. The BIK carrot gets smaller by the day.

SarahStreet

Post by SarahStreet » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:15 am

Absolutely bang on the money there Derbyshire Redcap.

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:15 am

Derbyshire Redcap wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:01 am
Surely the answer was given above. If you know that you are going into the rough, be sure to save enough battery power. Belt-driven generators aren't powerful enough to create the sort of instantaneous DC torque required to clamber up a gravel/mud track. Added to which the total power from the 3-pot 1.5 L is only 200 HP to begin with. It's a reasonably tax efficient Chelsea Tractor. But this is not why car makers want to sell us plug in hybrids. Not by a long chalk.

Say you are considering a DISCOVERY SPORT R-DYNAMIC SE D200 AWD AUTOMATIC MHEV at £45,725 OTR. This car is rated at 183 g/km so each one sold costs JLR €4,825 in emissions charges from January 1st 2021.

If the salesman can persuade you to switch to a DISCOVERY SPORT R-DYNAMIC SE P300e AWD AUTOMATIC PHEV, your initial payment of £49,210 immediately puts another £3,485 into the coffers. But that's nothing compared to the effect on JLR's emissions fine. If the car ends up being rated at 44 g/km (not likely) this single purchase stands to save the manufacturer an additional €13,205. Looked at another way, buy a p300e and you are effectively subsidising part of somebody's £179K Range Rover Autobiography (€21,000+ in emissions fines to JLR).

This is the real reason they want us all to switch like sheep to PHEVs. The BIK carrot gets smaller by the day.
100%. Keep buying these PHEVs folks , my V8 gets closer every month 😱😍
My18 FPace, 25t, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:51 am

Not really much different to everone paying a renewable energy levy on their electric bill in order to pay producers of solar wind and hydro electricity.
Nothing to stop those recepients buying a full fat car with the money
Narvik 250P hse, lovely