2nd hand 2016 Disco Sport

All Discovery Sport related discussions
sneakyg

2nd hand 2016 Disco Sport

Post by sneakyg » Sat May 16, 2020 11:04 am

Can anyone advise me if this Disco looks good? or what questions i should be asking the dealership

https://www.williamsgroup.co.uk/select/ ... d-s-s-5dr/

Unclemort54

Re: 2nd hand 2016 Disco Sport

Post by Unclemort54 » Sat May 16, 2020 12:56 pm

Ideally you need to see a full breakdown of all the work that’s been done to the vehicle since new
2016s suffered heavily from squeaking and rattling. The two main ones were (1), rear light cluster on the rear tailgate and (2), B pillar tick. The B pillar tick was apparently quite severe on some vehicles. You’ll need to ideally drive the vehicle to get to grips with these. The B pillar tick will hit you pretty quickly if it’s there; apparently it’s very intrusive.
Rear light condensation was also an issue - required new lights on the tailgate.
Water ingress to the rear fog lights which led to the corrosion of the rear wiring loom terminal - this also upset the parking sensors - new rear fog lights and new final rear wiring loom.
Coolant hose chafing on the gearbox was another issue.
All of the above will probably have been dealt with in the first three year warranty.
The two biggest issues with the DS seemed to have been the balance shaft and oil dilution with the diesels. Balance shaft whine (engine whine) can be heard up to around 2k revs I think but can be misidentified due to similarities with turbo whine. My own vehicle has always had a very low level whine, especially so in cold weather. It’s so low that it’s never bothered me and it’s never worsened. I don’t even hear it most of the time. However, if the vehicle truly has it, then it’s a very major job to fix.
Oil dilution results from the engine putting fuel into the exhaust system to increase temperature in order to burn off incomplete combustion particles in the filter (soot in other words). Because the exhaust system doesn’t generally get hot enough to burn off the particles naturally it requires a level of forced ‘burning‘ known as regeneration. This seems to happen all too often so the oil tends to become diluted with the fuel that manages to escape via the pistons into the sump. Try to ascertain if the vehicle has had an oil change every 10 to 12k instead of the 21k as per manual - if it has then that’s good.
All of the above are covered in detail in various threads on here. Just search with key words.
It seems that quite a few owners, including myself have had to replace the battery at just over three years old.
Be mindful that apart from the oil dilution issue not all vehicles have all these faults. I have been really pleased with mine, in spite of the early teething problems (mentioned near the top). It’s a pleasure to drive, and tow with.
MY16 DS HSE 180 auto, Corris grey, HD Towing Pack (EDT and five seats), 20" style 511, privacy glass, silver roof rails, AFS xenon lights, 5yr SP.

sneakyg

Post by sneakyg » Sat May 16, 2020 4:57 pm

wow, thats a fantastic reply.

I have been told before that DISCO's may not be the best otion for me as they are Diesel, the DPF and do short miles per year....but they look nice :) .

I wont be able to test drive the car in advance, so im anxious if i should pull the trigger or go for something like a pegeout 3008 where i can get a petrol similar sized car (not 7 seater unless), that looks alright, but doesnt have the potential issues. Land rover bills seem expensive

dilemas dilemas

Stroh

Post by Stroh » Sat May 16, 2020 5:56 pm

If you do only short trips the diesel may not be the best option for you.
2020 DS P250 SE, Fuji White, Acorn Windsor Leather Heated and Cooled Seats, Premium Interior Upgrade Pack, Driver Assist Pack, Meridian Surround Sound System with Sirius XM Satellite Radio, Black Exterior Pack, Technology Pack, Natural Shadow Oak Veneer!

sandbox

Post by sandbox » Sat May 16, 2020 9:19 pm

As we told you last time you posted, and the time before, get a petrol. Your driving requirements are not suitable for any modern diesel.

sneakyg

Post by sneakyg » Sat May 16, 2020 10:20 pm

sandbox wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:19 pm
As we told you last time you posted, and the time before, get a petrol. Your driving requirements are not suitable for any modern diesel.
wow, sounds like Dad is trying to tell me off.

Their are not may petrol cars in the same catagory for circa 20k...hence why i am still looking at these.

what is regarded a modern diesel?

i also dont drive in much traffic

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Sun May 17, 2020 12:15 am

sneakyg wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:20 pm
sandbox wrote:

Their are not may petrol cars in the same catagory for circa 20k...hence why i am still looking at these.

Modern diesels are Euro6 emissions, with additional exhaust hardware (DPF, EGR, Adblue injection etc.) that can clog up and cause problems with short runs. For example the 2.0 diesel DS need a 20-30 minute run over 40mph every 150-200 miles to actively regen the DPF and burn off the soot.

The early DS with the 2.2 engine are Euro5 with less hardware and less problems if doing short miles. The downside is that Euro5 diesels may get banned from city centres soon.

So if you are doing short miles, get the 2.2 DS, or get a petrol.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

sneakyg

Post by sneakyg » Sun May 17, 2020 12:22 am

Dashnine wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:15 am
sneakyg wrote:
sandbox wrote:

Modern diesels are Euro6 emissions, with additional exhaust hardware (DPF, EGR, Adblue injection etc.) that can clog up and cause problems with short runs. For example the 2.0 diesel DS need a 20-30 minute run over 40mph every 150-200 miles to actively regen the DPF and burn off the soot.

The early DS with the 2.2 engine are Euro5 with less hardware and less problems if doing short miles. The downside is that Euro5 diesels may get banned from city centres soon.

thanks

do you get an idea of when it needs a regen? (before it gets to be a concern)

i currently have a 2011 diesel BMW - but have never had an issue (guessing because its euro 5)

sandbox

Post by sandbox » Sun May 17, 2020 6:43 am

sneakyg wrote:
sandbox wrote:

No matter how many 2.0L diesels you ask for advice on, you will always get the same response.

It is not the amount of traffic you are in, it is the time taken to get the engine and DPF up to temperature. If your average journey time is less than 25 minutes travelling less than 40 MPH you will almost certainly experience costly issues. These will not be covered by any warranty.

You’ll get an amber warning at which point you need to hit the motorway. Once it is a red you need a garage.
The other issue you will probably encounter is oil dilution. This will manifest as early services / oil changes.

As you say, your 2011 BMW is not Euro 6.

Take the advice and look at petrol cars (eg SEAT Tarraco) or the 2015 2.2 L Discovery Sport.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/buyi ... or-diesel/

https://www.landrover.co.uk/ownership/d ... ybrid.html

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Mon May 18, 2020 12:04 pm

sneakyg wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:22 am
Dashnine wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:15 am
sneakyg wrote:

thanks

do you get an idea of when it needs a regen? (before it gets to be a concern)

i currently have a 2011 diesel BMW - but have never had an issue (guessing because its euro 5)
No, there's no warning a regen is needed, or that it's underway (other than Stop / Start doesn't cut in and instant mpg increases significantly). It's only a concern when the regens don't happen, or are able complete and the soot builds up to the point the amber light comes on.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black