2 months on, my thoughts

All Discovery Sport related discussions
tangey

2 months on, my thoughts

Post by tangey » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:32 pm

I've had my hse p250 for around 2 months now, and its' taken that long to get a reasonable knowledge of it. If I'm truthful I find it fine, but not exceptional, and not much of an upgrade from my 4 year old GLC diesel that i got rid off. Heres a list of the pros and cons, which is entirely subjective.

1) That damned delay in taking off. I though the GLC was bad (and it was), and I was pretty sure that a petrol plus mild hybrid plus 4 years of being further down the line would result in a better experience. Its not, its significantly worse. When pulling out from a junction, you just know others are thinking, "he was a big slow going for that". I live in a rural area so it's not the end of the world, but its pretty unacceptable. And as others have said, it must take years of programming to come up with a gearbox that can so consistently appear to be in the wrong gear. And then you give it a bit more pedal to try to make up, and with it being a pretty powerful petrol, it suddenly goes like a scalded cat.

2) Bluetooth connectivity. About 1 in every 20 times I get into the car, it doesn't see my phone and I have to re-connect.

3) Dab reception is terrible. It loses signal much more often that the merc ever did. Drove 15 miles to get the car ceramic coated, and it lost signal for about 10 minutes on and off during the 25 min drive. In the new Nissan Juke that lifted me to take me home, not a single note was missed.. And exactly the same scenario when picking the car up, Juke never missed a beat, DS lost signal a lot.

4) When starting the car in the morning and selecting reverse, sometimes the system is ready to give me rear camera plus 360, and sometimes it's just the rear camera.

5) keyless entry is fine, but you need to be quite exact on the touch sensor to lock it.

6) Ride isn't as comfortable as the GLC, which to be fair I had speced with air suspension. I put the active suspension in this in the hope if might help. I guess it's those 20 inch wheels that come as standard on the HSE. I did seriously consider specing it with 19" wheel but in the end decided not to. it's not the the ride is bad, it's not, it's just a little busier than the previouis car, and a little noiser.

7) MPG. I picked the petrol with my eyes wide open, but I'm still a bit surprised how thirsty this is. I'm at 19mpg average. on the 1.5 mile drive home I am often under 10 mpg ! Now my journeys are 90% short. merc desiel would have got highish 20s with a similar driving profile. Full tank on the DS tells me I have a 255 mile range !, that's similar range to some all electric vehicles.

8) Even in its tightest setting, the intelligent cruise control is very conservative. I guess this is not specific to DS and they all err WELL on the side of safety.

9) The piece of roof between the front of the sunroof and the windscreen sounds like it's made of thinest tin ever. Some heavy rain drops and you get a loud sound in the car.

10) Good centre console design is badly let down by what looks like a friday evening solution of a bit of formed plastic/rubber to cover the cup holders, whoever signed off on that should be shot.

11) the "touch switch" part of the console has a habit of being accidently touched and activating something random, when trying to operate the touchscreen.

On the plus the things I really like about the DS are

1) Looks pretty decent in the spec I selected, although now i have one, I see many more of them than I ever saw GLCs.

2) The other tech is very useful. Blind spot assist is great. Rear and front traffic alert good. 360 camera fantastic addition that everyone should consider.

3) Sat nav is really quite good. I especially like that when coming to a manoveur, it displays in the instrument console automatically, and the way it shows how close you are to the junction is excellent (i.e. a progress bar type thing).

4) Feels a good bit tighter to the road than the GLC, i.e. better cornering, althought the extreme imprecisness of the throttle negates a lot of this.

5) No tyre scrub....none at all...even on full lock and giving it a bit a welly....glad to have seen the back of that from the GLC.

6) excellent load space.

7) LCD mirror is fantastic...takes a bit of getting used to.

8) Full length pano roof lets in loads of light so makes the cabin feel good (can add a little glare to the rear view mirror when the shade is open). don't miss the fact it doesn't open at all.

9) Remote start/climate....brilliant to be able to de-ice the car without having to put the shoes on etc. Pity you can't program the heated seats to come on remotely.

10) and in a similar vein to the above, I welcome back a heated front windscreen. I had a couple of cars with this many years ago, and they are such a great thing to have.

11) Ability to carry a spare wheel. Removes that lingering threat of being stranded (although never had a puncture in the previous car).

12) Pretty decent quality sound, althought the volume control steps seem to be very very slight.

13) Inclusion of the data sim to make the remote stuff all work is great.

14) Start stop that actually works. for 95% of the time the GLC's one was always disabled due to my short runs.
MY20 Discovery Sport P250 HSE Portofino with 360 camera, adaptive dampers, configurable dynamics

Previously
Mercedes GLC250D
Volvo XC60

Past master

Re: 2 months on, my thoughts

Post by Past master » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:18 pm

You may be able to sort the starting delay by driving in "Sport" mode. Give it a try.
MY16 SETech 180 diesel Santorini Black
Now replaced with MY19 D180 Evoque S (new shape)

tangey

Post by tangey » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:00 pm

Past master wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:18 pm
You may be able to sort the starting delay by driving in "Sport" mode. Give it a try.
I have, it helps a little, as does putting it in dynamic mode, but it's still an issue.
MY20 Discovery Sport P250 HSE Portofino with 360 camera, adaptive dampers, configurable dynamics

Previously
Mercedes GLC250D
Volvo XC60

SarahStreet

Post by SarahStreet » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:14 pm

I'm surprised to learn that this problem is present on any of the petrol powertrains - pickup should be instantaneous.

Suggest that you get your retailer to reset the gearbox learning parameters, and then drive it in S for a few hundred miles, so that it learns your style again.

Might work,might not....if not, send it back for further investigation. There should be no delay in pickup on a petrol variant.

PedroT

Post by PedroT » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:30 pm

More importantly, anyone else having similar issues?
New 2020 S 150d with a few extras, kept just below £40k to reduce tax.
MY16 SE Plus Pano Roof Rev camera removable tow bar. Prev. Kia Sportage

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:12 pm

The reason I hopped over to the FPace with the ZF8 .
The ZF9 isn’t the best even in the petrol , I drove both side by side.
It’s not as bad as the diesel delay , but still noticeable.
My18 FPace, 25t, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

PedroT

Post by PedroT » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:18 pm

Improved in Mild Hybrid version, little lag at roundabouts now.. Barnsh, would you consider having another look at the new DS, you must have thought it was a suitable car in its original form? Much better now.
New 2020 S 150d with a few extras, kept just below £40k to reduce tax.
MY16 SE Plus Pano Roof Rev camera removable tow bar. Prev. Kia Sportage